Panax Ginseng Side Effect - Constipation

serling78

Wondering if anyone has experienced constipation from taking panax ginseng. I've been taking 200mg per day for only about 3 days now. My digestive system is very sensitive so typically if a supplement may cause constipation then it definitely will for me. I've looked online quite a bit and can only find a couple vague references but nothing like I would expect if it was a well known issue.

Hans

Forum Supporter
It could be because Panax ginseng inhibits the 5-HT3 receptor (similar to ginger), which can slow transit time and contribute to constipation. You can simply take more magnesium to speed things up again.

OP
S

serling78

It could be because Panax ginseng inhibits the 5-HT3 receptor (similar to ginger), which can slow transit time and contribute to constipation. You can simply take more magnesium to speed things up again.

I do use topical magnesium oil a couple times a week, but I've been out since I started taking the ginseng. Not sure if the topical form will help with digestion though.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I do use topical magnesium oil a couple times a week, but I've been out since I started taking the ginseng. Not sure if the topical form will help with digestion though.
Some people do report a laxative effect with Magnoil, but oral would be best.

Frankdee20

Topical magnesium lol waste of time

Frankdee20

Hans

Forum Supporter
One other thing I was wondering about... I've read this multiple times and can't make heads or tails of the conclusion. Does panax ginseng block NMDA or not?

Korean Red Ginseng Extract Activates Non-NMDA Glutamate and GABAA Receptors on the Substantia Gelatinosa Neurons of the Trigeminal Subnucleus Caudalis in Mice
It activates glutamate receptors such as AMPA/kainate receptor and not NMDA.
It also activates GABA-A receptors and can improve non-REM sleep, however, its 5-HT3 blocking effect could inhibit/lower parasympathetic tone.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...pid_Eye_Movement_Sleep_via_GABAAergic_Systems