Palpitations From Double "Cream"

M

member 2106

Last night I had a big helping of a UK-brand double cream with some homemade apple crumble, and then experienced horrible heart palpitations in bed. I had no idea why it was happening.

Today I looked at the ingredients of the cream out of curiosity - I'd assumed it was just pure cream - but NO. Of course not. Ingredients: Buttermilk (63%), vegetable oils in varying proportions (35%), emulsifiers, stabilisers.

So, it's probably safe to attribute the palpitations to the "cream". The lesson is, always check the ingredients! I'm usually extremely cautious, but somehow missed this one. And if you're having palpitations, have a look at the ingredients of this kind of stuff, just in case.

Richiebogie

Carrageenan e407 is often added to dairy products as an emulsifier so you always have to check the label, but that product should be called margarine cream!

Tenacity

Can't let the Brits have that unhealthy cream, let's improve it with these delicious cholesterol-lowering oils.

raypeatclips

Definitely always read ingredients, it drives people I'm with crazy. In the UK we have a lot of good creams which are just 100% cream, usually the cheaper own brand options like Tesco's own are just 100% cream. Things like look like they would be better quality, like Elmlea brand which I am sure is what you had, often contain added negative ingredients.

I get palpitations from homemade icecream

OP
M

member 2106

Definitely always read ingredients, it drives people I'm with crazy. In the UK we have a lot of good creams which are just 100% cream, usually the cheaper own brand options like Tesco's own are just 100% cream. Things like look like they would be better quality, like Elmlea brand which I am sure is what you had, often contain added negative ingredients.

It was indeed the Elmlea brand! I usually just get Sainsbury's own, which I'm pretty sure is 100%. The Elmlea fooled me.

Peater

Waitrose Jersey Double cream is heavenly in coffee.

Not sure if the A1/A2 theory is bunk but I do know that years ago I had normal double cream over Christmas and developed an eye twitch. Went away when I stopped having double cream again.

This stuff is fine.