Palm Oil Or Palmitic Acid Strenghten Intestinal Barrier

Dave Clark

Interestingly, after reading a post from hamster and someone else about stearic acid giving them digestive issues, I decided to quit using cocoa butter (not connecting some loose bowels issues to it), and almost within a day or two the loose bowels and inflammatory effects calmed down. I would have never linked it to the stearic acid, but I guess I was as sensitive as those guys. I was using it twice a day in coffee and in some foods, I guess it was too much.

Kvothe

Interestingly, after reading a post from hamster and someone else about stearic acid giving them digestive issues, I decided to quit using cocoa butter (not connecting some loose bowels issues to it), and almost within a day or two the loose bowels and inflammatory effects calmed down. I would have never linked it to the stearic acid, but I guess I was as sensitive as those guys. I was using it twice a day in coffee and in some foods, I guess it was too much.

What inflammatory effects did you perceive? I don't see how stearic acid would create or aggravate inflammatory conditions. What that study shows is that 18:0 is not good at suppressing the immune system, or why PUFA's only beneficial role might be around the time of an organ transplant.

What I found is processed cacao being highly inflammatory for me. But raw fresh cacao beans not. They grow it here.

Dave Clark

What inflammatory effects did you perceive? I don't see how stearic acid would create or aggravate inflammatory conditions. What that study shows is that 18:0 is not good at suppressing the immune system, or why PUFA's only beneficial role might be around the time of an organ transplant.
Inflammation in the intestine. Any irritable bowel is going to have inflammation at the core I suppose. However, I am not sure what exactly was going on, all I know is that the others and myself linked the bowel issue to the stearic acid, but who knows, it could be something else. I would have to go back to that thread, but they correlated the stearic acid to the bowel issue. I didn't really do any research on it.

Kvothe

Inflammation in the intestine. Any irritable bowel is going to have inflammation at the core I suppose. However, I am not sure what exactly was going on, all I know is that the others and myself linked the bowel issue to the stearic acid, but who knows, it could be something else. I would have to go back to that thread, but they correlated the stearic acid to the bowel issue. I didn't really do any research on it.

The irritable bowel symptoms might just be a results of stearic acid's anti-bacterial properties, or it might be a direct results of its' lower digestibility compared to other fatty acids. How long did the symptoms persist? First time I made a cake with cocoa butter instead of regular butter, it gave me loose stools for 2-3 days, but the effect disappeared.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

I had bowel discomfort too but because I have celiac disease and have sensitive intestines, I known that Its not from irritation but something like anti bacterial effect ....

Dave Clark

The irritable bowel symptoms might just be a results of stearic acid's anti-bacterial properties, or it might be a direct results of its' lower digestibility compared to other fatty acids. How long did the symptoms persist? First time I made a cake with cocoa butter instead of regular butter, it gave me loose stools for 2-3 days, but the effect disappeared.
Symptoms persisted for a few hours after each ingestion, but I never linked it to the cocoa butter because I occasionally eat cacao without problems. I think maybe it was just too much cocoa butter at one time, and I have no idea if that is stearic acid's doing. Also, since there are so many things that challenge the gut today, maybe the stearic acid just catalyzed other digestive weakness that I inherently already have, not sure, but all I know is my gut has calmed down quite a bit since quitting the cocoa butter. I am not exactly happy with that, I love cocoa butter, lol!

OP
Broken man

Broken man

Symptoms persisted for a few hours after each ingestion, but I never linked it to the cocoa butter because I occasionally eat cacao without problems. I think maybe it was just too much cocoa butter at one time, and I have no idea if that is stearic acid's doing. Also, since there are so many things that challenge the gut today, maybe the stearic acid just catalyzed other digestive weakness that I inherently already have, not sure, but all I know is my gut has calmed down quite a bit since quitting the cocoa butter. I am not exactly happy with that, I love cocoa butter, lol!
You can have allergy to Cocoa protein, I can't eat much chocolate but I am good with stearic acid ...