Palm Kernel Oil As Substitute For Coconut Oil

natedawggh

mmm... I've found coconut oil to be superior, but the kernel oil isn't bad. Just don't use the red palm oil, that stuff is not good at all.

barbwirehouse

natedawggh said:
mmm... I've found coconut oil to be superior, but the kernel oil isn't bad. Just don't use the red palm oil, that stuff is not good at all.

Why's that? It's often suggested in paleo circles.

natedawggh

barbwirehouse said:
natedawggh said:

Why's that? It's often suggested in paleo circles.

Because coconut is all saturated and people who subscribe to paleo don't consider the danger of polyunsaturated fat in the diet

Luann

Anyone know where to get palm kernel oil? It's not at Giant Eagle or anything : /

Luann

Because coconut is all saturated and people who subscribe to paleo don't consider the danger of polyunsaturated fat in the diet

Coconut oil isn't all saturated. There is no fat source on Earth that's all saturated. I think you meant coconut oil has the lowest amount of PUFA and highest SFA of any known oil except palm kernel oil. Which is true ;)

I STILL am not finding palm kernel oil in stores!!

ddjd

@paymanz @Liubo did you find your palm kernel oil anywhere. thinking of trying it myself as im trying to reduce my palmitic acid intake - im pretty sure its the reason for my huge weight gain

92 degree hydrogenated coconut oil is 100% PUFA free. It’s what I use.

Palm kernel oil - not convinced. Why would you use it instead of 92 degree coconut oil?

lampofred

I know hydrogenated oil is what RP uses, but wouldn't it be safer to just stick to natural oils instead of chemically altered products. Look at how much harm refined PUFAs are causing, is it not likely the altered coconut oil could cause some weird damage years down the line.

lampofred

I was going through the forum and found that Bulk Apothecary is not food grade. I think I'm going to buy from here: Coconut 92 Degree Oil

I realize am quite the hypocrite considering what I wrote just a week ago above in this thread...