Paleo maybe gave me sinus infection. Experimenting peat diet

paper_clips43

So after a year of paleo that cured me of many ailments I think it has now given me a sinus infection and left me very sensitive to meat. It took me months to figure out the cause of my fatigue and sinus congestion. I am starting to think it is from excess tryptophan and I would have never guessed it and so I am very grateful for finding this forum. The past two days I have not had any meat and mainly been consuming butter, oj, potatoes and coconut oil and already my energy levels are soaring! I am so happy :) I have a few questions though and id like to start with the topic of dairy.

I am super sensitive to dairy and can only tolerate grass fed raw butter. Can I do this diet with out the milk? Also since I have a sinus infection I feel like it would only exasperate it. It seems most people have an adjustment period and then are able to tolerate milk after a few weeks from what I have read so far in the forums. Any advice?

OP
paper_clips43

paper_clips43

Re: Paleo maybe gave me sinus infection. Experimenting peat

I felt like I should add a little bit more about myself and my goals and intentions with dieting.

First off my sinus infection symptoms:
About 3 months ago I noticed a little inflammation on my left nostril and between my eye as well as a congestion without stuffiness. It was just sort of closed up. It got slightly worse every day I ate my paleo diet. I tried cutting out all fruit and it seemed to help although would come back randomly (or so I thought I now see it was if I ate too much meat.) About a month back I starting getting really fatigued and depressed and noticed many candida symptoms that started driving me crazy. My hair was thinning and the swelling was getting worse and noticeable so much that I started becoming fearful of going in public because it looked weird. I then got desperate and started MMS and that was able to clear it up tremendously although as soon as I stopped taking it and resumed my paleo diet it started coming back. I was almost ready to give up and thats when I found this forum and the last day I ate some lamb I totally noticed my nasal getting congested and candida symptoms started after eating my meat breakfast.

I am also underweight and would really like to gain weight although am not worried so much about that as long as I have my health. I am 6ft 1in and 140 pounds.

I now consume 2-4 tablespoons gelatin every day as well. Love the stuff!

So my goals are to
1. Cure my sinus infection and reduce the swelling so I can feel comfortable being in public without sunglasses.
2. I would like to increase my energy levels and bring them back to at least how I was a few months ago.
3. If at all possible I would like to gain some weight :) maybe ten pounds and twenty if I am lucky!

Thats all I can think of at the moment. I appreciate everyones post already I feel like I have learned so much.

jaguar43

paper_clips43 said:
So after a year of paleo that cured me of many ailments I think it has now given me a sinus infection and left me very sensitive to meat. It took me months to figure out the cause of my fatigue and sinus congestion. I am starting to think it is from excess tryptophan and I would have never guessed it and so I am very grateful for finding this forum. The past two days I have not had any meat and mainly been consuming butter, oj, potatoes and coconut oil and already my energy levels are soaring! I am so happy :) I have a few questions though and id like to start with the topic of dairy.

I am super sensitive to dairy and can only tolerate grass fed raw butter. Can I do this diet with out the milk? Also since I have a sinus infection I feel like it would only exasperate it. It seems most people have an adjustment period and then are able to tolerate milk after a few weeks from what I have read so far in the forums. Any advice?

Can you add potatoes, rice, fruits, for now. Maybe some gelatin.

OP
paper_clips43

paper_clips43

Yah I am eating one or two potatoes a day. I eat about 50 grams of protein from gelatin a day as well. I noticed that cream has less tryptophan than milk and am considering eating only heavy cream as my source of dairy. Is this recommended or is milk recommended because of the galactose?

Mittir

Gut irritation and allergens are the most common source of sinus problem.
Old meats are often source of histamine. I have read that histamine level
in red meat stays within normal range up to 4 weeks in freezer.
Avoiding protein lowers serotonin and improves inflammatory symptoms
for a short period of time but very quickly it weakens liver and
increases estrogen,making things worse.
You can do a RP style eating without dairy. You just have to add
extra calcium to keep a calcium intake equal or more than
phosphorus.Good amount of Calcium increases metabolism, lowers PTH,
serotonin and histamine. Meat and fish both are high in phosphorus.
Farmer's cheese, strained yogurt and chemical free cottage
cheese can be safe source of protein. But these are often low in calcium.
RP recommends egg shell powder and if you are allergic to egg shell
then you can use oyster shell powder as 2nd best source.
I have used slaked lime ( calcium hydroxide, used to masa harina)
in OJ to reduce acidity and increase calcium.
Starch and pectin in potato and pectin in OJ can irritate intestine
and cause allergic reactions. Daily raw carrot salad with
coconut oil and white vinegar can help a lot with all kind of health issues including sinus.
If you post a description of your daily food intake it would be easier for
others to see where the possible source of problem is.

OP
paper_clips43

paper_clips43

Yah I realize I can’t go forever not eating meat although I am considering once a week and then increasing it if I tolerate it well. And always consuming it with gelatin or bone broth.

My diet has changed dramatically this week so I will post my prior diet and now my current diet.

Prior diet was paleo:

Breakfast and dinner - 4-8 oz meat (muscles meat, including organs) with lots of fat.
Snacks during the day consisted up bananas, coconuts, celery, raw honey, and pasture raised eggs.
I also snack on raw butter throughout the day. Once a day I would drink a homemade green juice with celery, cucumber, lime, cilantro. Oh and bone marrow a couple days a month. And bone broth most days.

For the past 4 days my diet has been:

OJ in the morning withs 2 tablespoons gelatin and some sugar. I consume this 4 times throughout the day.
Immediately afterwards I eat a sweet potato with lots of coconut oil and butter.

Coconuts, mango, papayas, chicharones for snacks.
Less than 4 oz cheese throughout the day with butter

Dinner is a sweet potato, or yam with lots of butter and coconut oil. Always boiled 40 minutes or longer.

Supplements- P5P, Zinc, vitamin k2, echinacea and goldenseal (just recently started to help with sinus) DIM, also just started taking bitter melon. I just bought niacinimide and thiamin although haven’t started taking it yet.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Whats the scoop with not consuming meat is eventually bad for the liver? How often should I consume meat to prevent this? Is once or twice a weak enough? Will liver suffice if I eat 4-8 ounces a week? I have always noticed liver digesting really well unless I eat to much.

I can pick up a calcium supplement tonight or tomorrow. I have access to really high quality grass fed raw milk from Jersey cows that I used to drink last year so I might eventually get back into it once my sinus has healed. She also makes kefir and I remember this helping my digestion of milk although I think RP is against kefir. Is that true? Or did I just make that up lol?

Mittir

RP rarely recommends supplements, he thinks commercial supplements are major source
of allergens due to bad excipients and contamination. He mentioned that he used to cure
people's allergy just by telling them to stop all kind of supplements.
RP thinks our liver needs at least 80 grams of protein daily, B vitamins, good sugar supply
and thyroid support to function properly and one of the function
of liver is to detoxify estrogen. 3-6 oz beef or lamb liver
weekly supplies good amount of vitamin A, B vitamins,
copper and other major nutrients. Just make sure you are eating fresh meat.
Old cheese can have lots of histamine. RP does not not recommend fermented
dairy for high lactic acid content. In strained/greek yogurt most lactic acid is removed.
Keeping blood sugar steady helps with allergy.
Here is a thread on basic dietary guideline.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20