PAIN - Unusual Causes & Unusual Remedies

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“What are severe side effects of the tetanus vaccine?

Allergic reaction
Anaphylaxis
Brachial neuritis
Brain inflammation
Collapse or shock-like state
Coma
Decreased level of consciousness
Death
Enlarged lymph nodes
Extensive swelling
Facial palsy
Fainting and fall injuries after the shot
Febrile seizure (fever causing seizure)
Fever over 104ºF
Guillain Barré Syndrome (GBS)
Hypersensitivity (Arthus reaction)
Hypotonic-Hyporesponsive Episode (HHE)
Latex reaction
Muscle pain
Nerve damage
Progressive neurological disorder
Seizures

What other side effects have been reported?

Apnea (stop breathing temporarily)
Arthus-type hypersensitivity reactions
Bronchitis
Blood disorders
Brain inflammation
Cellulitis
Cyanosis or “Blue Baby Syndrome”
Diarrhea
Ear pain
Encephalitis
Encephalopathy
Enlarged lymph nodes
Fatigue
Headache
Fainting
Low blood platelet count
Lymphadenopathy
Respiratory tract infection
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
Thrombocytopenia
Unusual crying or screaming

Can tetanus vaccines cause a Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)?

Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA) can occur after any immunization in which a needle is injected into the shoulder (deltoid muscle), particularly if it is injected too high or too deep. The symptoms include pain, weakness, inflammation, and poor flexibility.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A basic belief behind homeopathy is “like cures like.” In other words, something that brings on symptoms in a healthy person can -- in a very small dose -- treat an illness with similar symptoms. This is meant to trigger the body’s natural defenses.

For example, red onion makes your eyes water. That’s why it’s used in homeopathic remedies for allergies. Treatments for other ailments are made from poison ivy, white arsenic, crushed whole bees, and an herb called arnica.“

“Homeopathic doctors (who also are called “homeopaths”) weaken these ingredients by adding water or alcohol. Then they shake the mixture as part of a process called “potentization.” They believe this step transfers the healing essence. Homeopaths also believe that the lower the dose, the more powerful the medicine. In fact, many of these remedies no longer contain any molecules of the original substance. They come in a variety of forms, like sugar pellets, liquid drops, creams, gels, and tablets.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Earthing (or grounding) refers to the discovery of benefits—including better sleep and reduced pain—from walking barefoot outside or sitting, working, or sleeping indoors connected to conductive systems that transfer the Earth's electrons from the ground into the body.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“At the end of the last century, experiments initiated independently by Ober in the USA [10] and K. Sokal and P. Sokal [11] in Poland revealed distinct physiological and health benefits with the use of conductive bed pads, mats, EKG- and TENS-type electrode patches, and plates connected indoors to the Earth outside. Ober, a retired cable television executive, found a similarity between the human body (a bioelectrical, signal-transmitting organism) and the cable used to transmit cable television signals. When cables are “grounded” to the Earth, interference is virtually eliminated from the signal. Furthermore, all electrical systems are stabilized by grounding them to the Earth. K. Sokal and P. Sokal, meanwhile, discovered that grounding the human body represents a “universal regulating factor in Nature” that strongly influences bioelectrical, bioenergetic, and biochemical processes and appears to offer a significant modulating effect on chronic illnesses encountered daily in their clinical practices.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In a small studyTrusted Source on grounding and heart health, 10 healthy participants were grounded using patches on the palms of their hands and soles of their feet.

Blood measurements were taken before and after grounding to determine any changes in red blood cell fluidity, which plays a role in heart health. The results indicated significantly less red blood cell clumping after grounding, which suggests benefits for cardiovascular health.

Another slightly larger studyTrusted Source examined the role of grounding on post-exercise muscle damage. Researchers used both grounding patches and mats and measured creatine kinase, white blood cell count, and pain levels before and after grounding.

Blood work indicated that grounding reduced muscle damage and pain in participants. This suggests that grounding may influence healing abilities.

This research is supported by a recent studyTrusted Source on grounding for pain reduction and mood improvement. Sixteen massage therapists alternated between periods of grounding and no grounding.

Before grounding therapy, physical and emotional stress and pain were common side effects of their physically demanding jobs. After the earthing therapy, pain, stress, depression, and fatigue were all reduced among participants.“

Attachments

• 8B1FF0E8-C03E-49B1-8CBF-E14CD1905431.jpeg
    8B1FF0E8-C03E-49B1-8CBF-E14CD1905431.jpeg
    674.2 KB · Views: 2
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I had a recent experience where I got a 2nd degree burn, from bare skin on the exhaust pipe of a motorcycle. A SHEET of skin came off instantly. Right away I put a high UMF numbered Manuka honey on it, and ate some too at night to fend off possible infection. Strangely I never felt any pain. In the past I have been in misery for days with a 1st degree burn. I covered the burn at night, for the first couple of days, with the Manuka honey and a bandage. The scab set in at about the 5th day or so and all was going smoothly until after I showered. Even if I tried to keep my leg out of the water the scab still got moist and gooey, so that kept undoing my progress for a few days. Finally I came up with the idea to dry it back out quickly, after my shower, with my blow dryer on the coolest setting, and that’s when things started to happen! Covering it the first couple of days was alright, but not after that, it needed to dry out. Within 3 weeks the scab was off. I stopped using the Manuka honey after the first couple of days, and used Progest-E AROUND the burn. I only used the Progest-E ON the injury after the scab fell off.

Attachments

• 5C82C8B9-215D-4192-860A-4A677E127A44.jpeg
    5C82C8B9-215D-4192-860A-4A677E127A44.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 46423070-F6FE-449E-9887-C591C0231D87.jpeg
    46423070-F6FE-449E-9887-C591C0231D87.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 5559D6C1-1490-4B2B-B3F3-F6B671BB0F0E.jpeg
    5559D6C1-1490-4B2B-B3F3-F6B671BB0F0E.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 2
  • C78AAD3C-F14B-458C-BA2B-30F4C874E549.jpeg
    C78AAD3C-F14B-458C-BA2B-30F4C874E549.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 3
  • F0A163A2-0401-45DC-8DB2-CB7C59F1B3A9.jpeg
    F0A163A2-0401-45DC-8DB2-CB7C59F1B3A9.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 3
  • B608DF32-E194-42CB-B4BA-7D4B7641888E.jpeg
    B608DF32-E194-42CB-B4BA-7D4B7641888E.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 3

Grapelander

"The question is where in the brain is the center that can turn off pain."

"Most of the previous studies have focused on which regions are turned ON by pain," Wang said. "But there are so many regions processing pain, you'd have to turn them all off to stop pain. Whereas this one center can turn off the pain by itself."

The researchers found that general anesthesia also activates a specific subset of inhibitory neurons in the central amygdala, which they have called the CeAga neurons (CeA stands for central amygdala; ga indicates activation by general anesthesia). Mice have a relatively larger central amygdala than humans, but Wang said she had no reason to think we have a different system for controlling pain.

They also found that low-dose ketamine, an anesthetic drug that allows sensation but blocks pain, activated the CeAga center and wouldn't work without it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Whether you are experiencing physical or emotional pain, crying can help lessen the severity of this pain. Endorphins are released while you cry, helping numb the pain and give you a sense of overall calm. This process also plays a role in self-soothing as well as lessen the intensity of pain felt.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Humans produce three kinds of tears: reflex, continuous, and emotional. Each of these serves the purpose of helping to detox and cleanse your body. Reflect tears clean out debris from your eyes, such as smoke and dust, helping protect them. Continuous tears protect your eyes from infection by keeping them moist. Emotional tears contain stress hormones and other toxins that they flush from your body.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So yesterday I was heating up some milk in a small metal pot, over a flame on the stove and left a metal spoon in it, which got hot in the flame. I grabbed the spoon with two fingers and oh my gosh the burn from that hurt so bad! I quickly put some Bactine on it, and normally I would have iced it and would have been focused on the pain for at least the rest of the day, but I remembered the Progest-E from leg burn. So I rubbed a little into my two burned fingers and in about 45 minutes I never felt the burn again! That stuff is magical!

Lizb

“Humans produce three kinds of tears: reflex, continuous, and emotional. Each of these serves the purpose of helping to detox and cleanse your body. Reflect tears clean out debris from your eyes, such as smoke and dust, helping protect them. Continuous tears protect your eyes from infection by keeping them moist. Emotional tears contain stress hormones and other toxins that they flush from your body.”
I know someone who cried for hours from a long period of stress and depression. I think it might have saved his life.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I know someone who cried for hours from a long period of stress and depression. I think it might have saved his life.
I have been doing a lot of it myself and find it to be relaxing and cleansing.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Stress, exercise, and darkness, increase the release of free fatty acids, and so promote the liberation of tryptophan and formation of serotonin. Increased serum linoleic acid is specifically associated with serotonin-dependent disorders such as migraine.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Adaptation to high altitude, which stimulates the formation of new mitochondria and increased thyroid (T3) activity, has been used for many years to treat neurological problems, and the effect has been demonstrated in animal experiments (Manukhina, et al., 2010).” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Swelling, an increase of the water content of an area of tissue, is a general feature of inflammation (Weiss, et al., 1951), whether it's in a lump caused by a bee sting, a bruise, or hives, or a cancer. Besides the instantaneous uptake of water described by Tasaki, there are increases that continue because of metabolic and chemical changes in the irritated cell. Tasaki has used gels of synthetic polymers to demonstrate that an electrical field can cause these changes, without the need for the "chemical osmotic" changes that are customarily assumed to account for the swelling changes caused by stress (Tasaki, 2002). When the pH of a protein gel becomes more alkaline, it swells. The electrical activation of a nerve causes a quick shift towards internal alkalinity (Endres, et al., 1986), followed by a sudden increase in lactic acid production. Although increased lactic acid causes acidity of an irritated or inflamed region, the conversion of pyruvic acid to lactic acid causes the interior of the stressed cell to become more alkaline, causing it to swell. This is the same process that causes the familiar swelling of tired muscles. If blood vessels swell, the delivery of oxygen may be restricted, and hypoxia causes more intense swelling, because more lactic acid is produced, and less oxidized. This swelling pressure resembles an increase of osmolarity. For over 100 years, it has been customary to treat shock with "isotonic" fluids, which are in balance with well oxygenated tissues, with approximately 290 milliosmoles per liter, but this usually causes edema, swelling, and weight gain. Stressed tissues have been found to be in balance with fluids of much higher osmolarity, for example 372 mOsm/L (Tranum-Jensen, et al., 1981), and sometimes much higher.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Anything that injures a tissue enough to require cells to be replaced causes the activation of a regulatory protein, hypoxia-inducible factor, HIF, which inhibits mitochondrial respiration, causing a shift toward glycolytic metabolism, increasing substances needed for growth. HIF is essential to the healing of any wound. Even glucose deprivation can cause the induction of HIF. Prostaglandins, made from polyunsaturated fatty acids released by stimulation, can cause HIF to increase, but HIF also causes prostaglandins to increase. Lactic acid increases the expression of HIF, while HIF causes cells to shift metabolically to depend on converting glucose to lactic acid, that is, to adopt the "cancer metabolism." HIF is recognized as a fundamental problem in "cancer therapy," since HIF allows the cancer to resist the treatment, but the treatment increases HIF.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In 1927, Bernstein and Elias found that rats eating a fat free diet had almost no spontaneous cancer, and many studies since then in animals and people have shown a close association between polyunsaturated fatty acids and cancer. The polyunsaturated fatty acids in themselves, and their breakdown products, are excitatory and destabilizing to normal cells, but by modifying the sensitivity and energy production of cells, they limit cells' ability to respond to stimulation and destabilizing influences. Although they aren't essential for wound healing (Porras-Reyes, et al., 1992), they and their metabolites, the prostaglandins, are very conspicuous in wounds and tumors, and their proportion generally increases with aging. The prostaglandins are involved in several vicious cycles, including that with HIF mentioned above. This makes the PUFA and prostaglandins important to consider in relation to optimizing wound healing, and decreasing cancerization. Aspirin's protective and therapeutic effects in cancer are starting to be recognized, but there are several other things that can synergize with aspirin to reduce the circulation of free fatty acids and their conversion to prostaglandins. Niacinamide, progesterone, sugar, carbon dioxide, and red light protect against both free fatty acids and prostaglandins.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When a muscle or nerve is fatigued, it swells, retaining water. When the swelling is extreme, its ability to contract is limited. Excess water content resembles a partly excited state, in which increased amounts of sodium and calcium are free in the cytoplasm. Energy is needed to eliminate the sodium and calcium, or to bind calcium, allowing the cell to extrude excess water and return to the resting state. Thyroid hormone allows cells' mitochondria to efficiently produce energy, and it also regulates the synthesis of the proteins (phospholamban and calcisequestrin) that control the binding of calcium. When the cell is energized, by the mitochondria working with thyroid, oxygen, and sugar, these proteins rapidly change their form, binding calcium and removing it from the contractile system, allowing the cell to relax, to be fully prepared for the next contraction. If the calcium isn't fully and quickly bound, the cell retains extra water and sodium, and isn't able to fully relax.“ -Ray Peat