PAIN - Unusual Causes & Unusual Remedies

"Some of the nerve problems associated with hypothyroidism (e.g., carpal tunnel syndrome and "foot drop") are blamed on compression of the nerves, from swelling of surrounding tissues, but the evidence is clear that hypothyroidism causes swelling in the nerve cells themselves. For example, in hypothyroidism, nerves are slow to respond to stimulation, and their conduction of the impulse is slow. These changes are the same as those produced by hyper-hydration caused by other means. Hypothyroid nerves are easily fatigued, and fatigued nerves take up a large amount of water. Swelling of the spinal cord is probably responsible for the "spinal stenosis" commonly seen in domestic animals and people; the mobility of intracellular water molecules is distinctly increased in patients with compression of the spinal cord (Tsuchiya, et al., 2003; Ries, et al., 2001).

The hyperhydration of hypothyroidism has been known to cause swelling and softening of cartilage, with deformation of joints, but somehow it has never dawned on surgeons that this process would lead to deformation of intervertebral disks."
-Ray Peat

I have had many people in my life that have dealt with extreme pain issues, and more times than not their pain was caused by unlikely culprits. Unfortunately, nowadays the remedy for any pain one has is to mask the pain with pills, which only exacerbates the problem.

My mom's pain came from years of pain killers making her unusually sensitive to pain that would not bother a normal person. My dad's extremely painful rheumatoid artheritis was from foods he was eating. When he subscribed to the Blood Type Diet, his pain was relieved and he ditched his medications for good. My husband dealt with extreme lower back pain which turned out to be a bacterial infection. In all three of those cases if they all had their way they would have just taken the pain killers the doctors prescribed them and that would have been the end of it. People in pain need to break away from doctors that have not done their job, finding cures to curable problems, and hand out pills instead. I would like this thread to be about unusual reasons for pain to give people possible answers and cures for their pain.

"Pain perception is associated with different phenotypic characteristics such as sex, eye, and hair color. Hence, it is assumed that ABO blood type can also affect pain perception."

"In our study, an interesting finding was that blood type A was found to be at the highest rate in patients with RA and AS with erosive arthritis, which are the most common rheumatic diseases, and blood type O was found to be at the highest rate in patients with SLE, SSc, and SjS, which are among the connective tissue ..."

"Acute or subacute bacterial or viral infections are unlikely in view of the length of this patient's illness and lack of fever, night sweats, and chills. Salmonella, Shigella, Yersinia, Campylobacter, and Clostridium difficile can lead to abdominal symptoms and a reactive spondyloarthritis with low back/sacroiliac inflammation...."

"If left untreated, it may lead to severe spinal dysfunction and back pain with fevers. Although these are infections in your spine, there are other infections as well that can cause similar symptoms. For example, kidney infections or pelvic inflammatory disease are other reasons for back pain."

"People with reactive arthritis may experience back pain due to: Spondylitis, inflammation of the vertebrae in the spinal column, or. Sacroiliitis, inflammation of the joints that connect the spine to the pelvis."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Plant defensive chemicals can have beneficial uses as drugs. Plants are important sources for chemicals used in chemotherapy of cancer, with the purpose of stopping cell division. Other plant drugs can stimulate cell division. The drug from one plant will sometimes protect cells against the toxic effects of another plant. The use of any drug that isn’t a natural part of animal physiology will have many biological effects, so that a beneficial drug action will usually be accompanied by unwanted side-effects. An antioxidant may turn out to disrupt the endocrine system, an antiinflammatory drug may be mutagenic or carcinogenic." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is an effective remedy for killing off some of the dangerous bacteria strains, that are gaining strength every year, and causing unresolved back pain and even death.

"Resistant bacteria represent a challenge in the treatments of various well-known infections and necessitate the need to find new substances with antimicrobial properties to be used against these microorganisms. Plants have anchored to the mother earth long before man can set his feet on earth. Mankind has been gifted with resources for existence much earlier than arrival of life on earth. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that about 80% of the population still depends upon herbal medicines for the treatment of various diseases due to easy availability, economic reasons and lesser side effects. Grounds of medical pharmacology have been constructed by herbal remedies for ages and have formed a basis of traditional systems of medicines."

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I had back pain and hand stiffness like arthritis. I knew a girl who quit eating gluten and was able to resolve all her arthritis. It took me 2 years to wrap my mind around the idea of not eating wheat but when I did it was remarkable how quickly all the back pain and joint stiffness went away. I don't know if I have celiac disease as I didn't go to any doctor for diagnosis.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I had back pain and hand stiffness like arthritis. I knew a girl who quit eating gluten and was able to resolve all her arthritis. It took me 2 years to wrap my mind around the idea of not eating wheat but when I did it was remarkable how quickly all the back pain and joint stiffness went away. I don't know if I have celiac disease as I didn't go to any doctor for diagnosis.
That is what I was hoping to hear here! My dad is not a celiac either, but our GMO'd wheat is not digested the way it was 100 years ago. I think my dad's rheumatoid arthritis was fed by our modern wheat and he always ate A LOT of cabbage which he gave up and never added it back in to this day, 7 years later.
I buy the Joviel heirloom Einkorn wheat and what a difference! It takes me a year to go through a one pound bag, thickening gravies and such. People don't realize that when your intestines are inflamed it puts pressure on all the nerves in your spine. What an uplifting story Dolomite!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rhus Tox works wonders for anxiety and pain and is so incredibly cheap. I get it for $6.

"The medicinal use of poison ivy was discovered by accident. A French physician in the late eighteenth century discovered that a patient's chronic rash had been cured as a result of accidental poison ivy exposure. The doctor then went on to use the leaves and stalk of the plant in the treatment of skin disease, paralysis, and rheumatic complaints.

General use

Rhus toxicodendron (Rhus tox.) is a remedy frequently indicated for conditions that are accompanied by fever, swollen glands, inflammation of mucous membranes and/or muscles, skin conditions, and restlessness. Homeopaths prescribe Rhus tox. for a number of complaints including poison ivy, chicken pox, back pain , colds, herpes, hives , flu, mumps, measles, sore throat , nerve pain, muscle strains and sprains, dermatitis , arthritis, bursitis , carpal tunnel, rheumatism, and fevers. Ailments arise from overexertion, a change in weather, cold/damp weather, or from getting wet or chilled."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"In human studies, applying a stinging nettle cream or consuming stinging nettle products appears to relieve inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis. For instance, in one 27-person study, applying a stinging nettle cream onto arthritis-affected areas significantly reduced pain, compared to a placebo treatment."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"the 70s and 80s, several groups of scientists discovered that our brains have specific receptors that bind opiates like morphine. This was puzzling, until they realized that our bodies also make morphine-like molecules that bind to those same receptors.

These molecules, called endorphins, are neuropeptides produced by the central nervous system and the pituitary gland. They’re released when the body encounters pain or stress, and their role is to inhibit the communication of pain signals. The name comes from the combination of “endogenous” – meaning made by the body – and “morphine.” Which led to the branding of endorphins as natural painkillers.

While the body is programmed to produce endorphins in response to pain, research shows that it actually produces fewer endorphins when given opioid painkillers – like codeine or morphine. Therefore, any patient concerned with reducing his or her dependence on opioids should have an interest in boosting endorphins as a meaningful, non-addictive addition to their pain management program."

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I like topical and localized treatments. I use sprays like Solarcaine with an antiseptic and analgesic (like Benzocaine or Lidocaine) for itching from chiggers, ticks and poison ivy. Heat and ice are great for joint and muscle pains. Often just relieving tension by contracting and relaxing muscles will relieve minor pain.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I like topical and localized treatments. I use sprays like Solarcaine with an antiseptic and analgesic (like Benzocaine or Lidocaine) for itching from chiggers, ticks and poison ivy. Heat and ice are great for joint and muscle pains. Often just relieving tension by contracting and relaxing muscles will relieve minor pain.

Topical over the counter medicines are right up the Ray Peat ally, similar to his recommendation to take vitamin suppliments topically rather than orally. Aspercreme cream works well too. Though the name threw me off, thinking it had some relation to aspirin, it has lidocaine, which Ray Peat said he ingested once, in a small amount, with positive results. I would be scared to do that myself. I don't know that the patches are as good, as they made my husband feel "off". There are some good products out there for those who don't care to delve into prescribed pain killers, which cause more health problems.

"Avoid long, hot baths or sunbathing. Your temperature may rise and cause too much drug to pass into your body. This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Aspercreme Lidocaine (lidocaine skin liquid) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away."

"Children and teenagers younger than 18 years should not use this drug if they have chickenpox, flu, or any undiagnosed illness or if they have recently received a vaccine. In these cases, this drug may increase the risk of Reye's syndrome, a rare but serious illness."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The drug industry has been lowering the numbers for cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood glucose that are considered to be the upper limit of normal, increasing the number of customers for their prescription drugs. Recently, publications have been claiming that the upper limit of the normal range of heart rates should be lower than 100 beats per minute; this would encourage doctors to prescribe more drugs to slow hearts, but the way the evidence is being presented, invoking the discredited "wear and tear" theory of aging, could have many unexpected harmful consequences. It would reinforce existing misconceptions about heart functions.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The simplicity of things such as supplementing thyroid, progesterone, and sugar, avoiding an excess of phosphate in relation to calcium, and avoiding polyunsaturated fats, makes it possible for people to take action themselves, without having to depend on the medical system." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Animal studies show that estrogen stunts growth, including bone growth. The high estrogen levels in girls' teen years and early twenties accounts for the fact that women's bones are lighter than men's. In rat studies, treatment with estrogen was found to enlarge the space between the jawbone and the teeth, which is a factor in periodontal disease (Elzay, 1964). Teeth are very similar to bones, so it's interesting that treating male or female rats with estrogen increases their incidence of tooth decay, and removing their gonads was found to decrease the incidence (Muhler and Shafer, 1952). Supplementing them with thyroid hormone decreased the incidence of cavities in both males and females (Bixler, et al., 1957)." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"When you have a tight (or short) psoas muscle, you may experience pain in your lower back or in your hips, especially when lifting your legs. This is caused by the muscle compressing the discs in the lumbar region of your back. Stretching your muscles and releasing the tension on the psoas is the best way to prevent this from happening. It takes time and daily attention to keep your psoas muscles relaxed, stretched, and strong.

While most people with psoas issues have tight psoas muscles, there are some people whose psoas muscles can be overstretched. In this case, if you stretch your psoas and it is already overstretched, you will cause more problems."

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 20220225_111751.png
    20220225_111751.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 46
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Hypothyroid muscles typically retain excess water, and fatigue easily, taking up more water than normal during exertion. In childhood, mild hypothyroidism often causes the leg muscles to swell and ache in the evenings, with what have been called "growing pains." When the problem is more extreme, all the skeletal muscles can become very large (Hoffman syndrome), because of the anabolic effect of over-hydration. Enlargement of any muscle can result from the excessive hydration produced by thyroid deficiency, but when it happens to the muscles behind the eyes (Itabashi, et al., 1988), it often leads to a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism, rather than hypothyroidism." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Harmful compounds in food can rise to higher levels under hot temperatures. Use these cooking methods to prevent more from forming and worsening rheumatoid arthritis symptoms."

"The researchers found that cooking foods with high, dry heat creates toxins known as advanced glycation end products (AGEs). For example, a 3.5-ounce slice of raw beef has about 707 kUs (kilo units) of AGEs. Cooked, that number increases more than eight times, to 6,071.

AGEs are absorbed into the body in digestion and can trigger inflammation and accelerate aging,"

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Dietitians often recommend eating poached salmon, rather than "red meat," to lower cholesterol. Experimenters have measured the toxic oxidized cholesterol in different foods prepared in a variety of ways. Steaming salmon produced several times as much oxidized cholesterol as frying it, because of the longer cooking time that allowed the polyunsaturated fatty acids to break down, producing toxins such as acrolein and free radicals that oxidize the cholesterol and other components of the fish. The toxic cholesterol content of the steamed salmon was much higher than that of beef cooked at a high temperature." -Ray Peat

"Studies have shown that acrolein has a critical rolein generation of inflammation in the respiratory system, Alzheimer, multiple sclerosis, artherosclerotic diseases and immune system suppression."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My e-mail to Ray Peat this morning.....

My father's girlfriend broke her hip a month ago and has been bed ridden since. She has now texted me that she is experiencing numb feet and is asking me if "400 mg twice a day of magnesium might help with the numbness including my fingers."
What could I suggest to her?

"Magnesium supplements are usually irritating to the intestine; milk provides both magnesium and calcium in a safe way. Increasing her blood sugar helps with pain and might help numbness too. Is she using drugs for the pain? Concord grape juice, alternating with milk, helps to increase blood glucose and decrease inflammation and pain." -Ray Peat