PAIN - Unusual Causes & Unusual Remedies

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Hypertonic solutions, containing more than the normal concentration of sodium (from about twice normal to 8 or 10 times normal) are being used to rescuscitate people and animals after injury. Rather than just increasing blood volume to restore circulation, the hypertonic sodium restores cellular energy production, increasing oxygen consumption and heat production while reducing free radical production, improves the contraction and relaxation of the heart muscle, and reduces inflammation, vascular permeability, and edema.

Seawater, which is hypertonic to our tissues, has often been used for treating wounds, and much more concentrated salt solutions have been found effective for accelerating wound healing (Mangete, et al., 1993).” -Ray Peat​

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Other protective effects of increased sodium are that it improves immunity (Junger, et al., 1994), reduces vascular leakiness, and alleviates inflammation (Cara, et al., 1988). All of these effects would tend to protect against the degenerative diseases, including tumors, atherosclerosis, and Alzheimer’s disease. The RAA system appears to be crucially involved in all kinds of sickness and degeneration, but the protective effects of sodium are more basic than just helping to prevent activation of that system.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A slight decrease in temperature can promote inflammation (Matsui, et al., 2006). The thermogenic substances--dietary protein, sodium, sucrose, thyroid and progesterone--are antiinflammatory for many reasons, but very likely the increased temperature itself is important.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Now that inflammation is recognized as having a central role in the degenerative diseases, the fact that renin, angiotensin, and aldosterone all contribute to inflammation and are increased by a sodium deficiency, should arouse interest in exploring the therapeutic uses of sodium supplementation, and the integrated use of all of the factors that normally support respiratory energy production, especially thyroid and progesterone. Progesterone’s antagonism to aldosterone has been known for many years, and the synthetic antialdosterone drugs are simply poor imitations of progesterone.

But the drug industry is interested in selling new drugs to block the formation and action of each of the components of the RAAS, rather than an inexpensive method (such as nutrition) to normalize the system.” -Ray Peat​

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The regulation of cell renewal probably involves all of the processes of life, but there are a few simple, interacting factors that suppress renewal. The accumulation of polyunsaturated fats, interacting with a high concentration of oxygen, damages mitochondria, and causes a chronic excessive exposure to cortisol. With mitochondrial damage, cells are unable to produce the progesterone needed to oppose cortisol and to protect cells.

Choosing the right foods, the right atmosphere, the right mental and physical activities, and finding the optimal rhythms of light, darkness, and activity, can begin to alter the streaming renewal of cells in all the organs. Designing a more perfect environment is going to be much simpler than the schemes of the genetic engineers.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The drug industry’s effect on the way the organism is commonly understood has been pervasively pathological. For example, the dogma about “cell surface receptors” has sometimes explicitly led people to say that the “brain chemicals” are active only at the surface of cells, and not inside the cells.

The consequences of this mistake have been catastrophic. For example, serotonin’s precursor, tryptophan, and the drugs called “serotonin reuptake inhibitors,” and other serotonergic drugs, and serotonin itself, are carcinogenic and/or tumor promoters. Excessive serotonin is a major factor in kidney and heart failure, liver and lung disease, stroke, pituitary abnormalities, inflammatory diseases, practically every kind of sickness, at the beginning, middle, and end of life.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The amount of water a person needs is extremely variable, depending on things such as metabolic rate, activity, and the temperature and humidity of the air. Working hard in hot, dry weather, it's possible to drink more than two quarts per hour for more than eight hours, without forming any urine, because all of the water is lost by evaporation. But in very hot, humid weather, a person with a low metabolic rate can be endangered by the smallest amount of water (e.g., "Meteorological relations of eclampsia in Lagos, Nigeria," Agobe, et al., 1981).” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Hypothyroidism is typically associated with increased prolactin secretion. Hypothyroid people typically retain water, while losing salt, so the hypothyroid state is analogous to the salmon that has returned to the river, and to the mice that drink too much salt-free water.
The typical hypothyroid person loses salt rapidly in the urine (and probably in the sweat, too, though that is usually diagnosed as cystic fibrosis), and retains water, diluting the urine less than normal. “ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Hypothyroid muscles typically retain excess water, and fatigue easily, taking up more water than normal during exertion. In childhood, mild hypothyroidism often causes the leg muscles to swell and ache in the evenings, with what have been called "growing pains." When the problem is more extreme, all the skeletal muscles can become very large (Hoffman syndrome), because of the anabolic effect of over-hydration. Enlargement of any muscle can result from the excessive hydration produced by thyroid deficiency, but when it happens to the muscles behind the eyes (Itabashi, et al., 1988), it often leads to a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism, rather than hypothyroidism.”
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Later, in a more mature person, chronically fatigued and painful muscles that at one time would have been diagnosed as rheumatism, may be diagnosed as fibromyalgia. Most doctors are reluctant to prescribe thyroid supplements for the problem, but the association of elevated prolactin with the muscle disorder is now generally recognized.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Some of the nerve problems associated with hypothyroidism (e.g., carpal tunnel syndrome and "foot drop") are blamed on compression of the nerves, from swelling of surrounding tissues, but the evidence is clear that hypothyroidism causes swelling in the nerve cells themselves. For example, in hypothyroidism, nerves are slow to respond to stimulation, and their conduction of the impulse is slow. These changes are the same as those produced by hyper-hydration caused by other means. Hypothyroid nerves are easily fatigued, and fatigued nerves take up a large amount of water. Swelling of the spinal cord is probably responsible for the "spinal stenosis" commonly seen in domestic animals and people; the mobility of intracellular water molecules is distinctly increased in patients with compression of the spinal cord (Tsuchiya, et al., 2003; Ries, et al., 2001).” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Degenerative diseases, especially cancer, heart disease, and brain diseases, are less prevalent in populations that live at a high altitude. When oxygen pressure is low, the lungs lose carbon dioxide more slowly, and so the amount of carbon dioxide retained in the body is greater. If the basic problem in hypothyroidism is the deficient production of carbon dioxide causing excessive loss of salt and retention of water, resulting in hypo-osmotic body fluids, then we would expect people at high altitude to have better retention of salt, more loss of water, and more hypertonic body fluids. That has been observed in many studies. The increased rate of metabolism at altitude would be consistent with the relatively active "catabolism" of the slightly hyperosmotic condition.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The effectiveness of increased salt in pre-eclampsia led me to suggest it for women with premenstrual edema, because both conditions typically involve high estrogen, hyponatremia, and a tendency toward hypo-osmolarity. Estrogen itself causes sodium loss, reduced osmolarity, and increased capillary leakiness. Combined with a high protein diet, eating a little extra salt usually helps to correct a variety of problems involving edema, poor circulation, and high blood pressure.” —Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“ can sometimes very quickly allow swollen tissues to release their water. This function is probably closely related to its antifibromatogenic function, since swelling and leaking set the stage for fibrosis.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A 5% sodium chloride solution is effective for promoting healing of damaged corneas, and solutions of 5% to 10% sodium chloride are effective for accelerating the healing of wounds and ulcers. Other hypertonic solutions, for example glucose or urea, have been used therapeutically, but sodium chloride seems to be the most effective in a variety of situations.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Sometimes doctors recommend that constipated people should drink extra water, "to soften the stool." The colon is where water is removed from the intestinal contents, and when it is inflamed, it removes too much water. Several decades ago, it was recognized (Orr, et al., 1931) that hypertonic saline, given intravenously, would stimulate intestinal peristalsis, and could be used to treat paralytic ileus and intestinal obstruction.

When water is taken orally, it is absorbed high in the intestine, long before it reaches the colon, so the recommendation to drink water for constipation can produce a situation that's the opposite of intravenous hypertonic saline, by diluting the blood. Using a hypertonic salt solution as an enema can have the same beneficial effect on the intestine as the intravenous treatment.

Constipation physiology is probably analogous to the physiology of congestive heart failure, in which muscles are weakened and fatigued by swelling.” -Ray Peat​

OP
Rinse & rePeat
If I were dealing with pain and chronic health issues I would seriously reconsider the PUFA laden restaurant visits, packaged snacks and chicken and pork dinners. I can’t imagine them being worth it, knowing the destruction they are causing. Then toxic medication is added as a solution to the overall problem?…

“Besides causing a general slowing of metabolism, aging and toxic PUFA have specific actions on the detoxifying system. The enzymes that help to detoxify PUFA and estrogen and serotonin are inhibited by both PUFA and estrogen. All systems, including blood vessels and the intestine, are made leaky by estrogen and the PUFA and their products. A reduced ability to regulate the excitatory amino acids, resulting from PUFA toxins, tends to produce excitotoxicity, damaging nerves (Ou, et al., 2002).” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The RP quote below really perked me up because I got a second degree burn in May and as bad as it looked it never hurt me. I guess my clean “Peaty” eating is to the why. I had another injury a couple months back, roller skating in the park a few months back, and i skinned my knee pretty good and jarred my neck and back too. I had an instant headache, and was sure I would feel sore the next day, but I kept skating, and I was totally normal the next day, without a hint from what had happened. It was amazing how great I am rebound Ming from trauma this year, at 59 years old, from my diet….

“Many types of inflammation and stress are significantly reduced in "EFA deficient" animals. Inflammation caused by the injection of carrageenan is decreased, partly because of the absence of prostaglandins in these animals. The absence of the EFA protects against colitis and nephritis ( ). The kidneys are more effective in several ways in the deficient animals.

Shock, caused by the injection of endotoxin, which is 100% lethal to normally fed animals, is only 24% lethal to the deficient animals.

Poisons are much less harmful to deficient animals, for example, a cobra venom factor causes less tissue damage to their lungs.

Concussive trauma and burns cause much less damage to deficient animals.”​

“In the book Generative Energy by Dr. Ray Peat, he discusses how these “essential fatty acids” (EFAs) actually suppress the immune system by suppressing the cells that cause inflammation as to why they reduce inflammation and pain.”

View: https://m.facebook.com/katedeeringfitness/photos/a.186035504770410/1568285586545388/?type=3#:~:text=In%20the%20book%20Generative%20Energy,they%20reduce%20inflammation%20and%20pain

Attachments

• 69255E88-7522-46E3-99D9-08B6564BA3B6.jpeg
    69255E88-7522-46E3-99D9-08B6564BA3B6.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CF15F13E-3237-4E2B-95DE-D6891A2BB29D.jpeg
    CF15F13E-3237-4E2B-95DE-D6891A2BB29D.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 29565452-9A98-43E8-96C8-2AD9EE83E718.jpeg
    29565452-9A98-43E8-96C8-2AD9EE83E718.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 50BF15A7-BC97-4FA9-974F-96BC56CEF6BD.jpeg
    50BF15A7-BC97-4FA9-974F-96BC56CEF6BD.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 8
  • AF19F79E-71AC-4891-BD38-8EC3F464C33B.jpeg
    AF19F79E-71AC-4891-BD38-8EC3F464C33B.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The EFA amplify nearly all kinds of injury and stress, and the results of many recent publications make it look as though serotonin interacts harmfully with the EFA in most of these situations.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Antioxidants can slightly retard the cumulative degenerative effects of the fats interacting with estrogen, serotonin, and other mediators of inflammation, but real elimination of the degenerative diseases will require an exploration of the effects of the entire series of lipid signalling substances derived from the saturated and omega minus 9 fatty acids.” -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals