PAIN - Unusual Causes & Unusual Remedies

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Most loss of calcium from bones occurs during the night. PTH tends to cycle with prolactin, which increases during the night, along with cortisol and the other stress hormones. These nocturnal hormones probably account for the morning stiffness seen in many rheumatic conditions, connective tissue diseases, and in aging.”
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The ginger we know and love, according to Whole Health MD, is a reliable treatment for:

Relieving Nausea;

Combat Motion Sickness;

Reduce Dizziness;

Control Chronic Pain;

Limit Flatulence;

Ease the Pain of Muscle Aches and Rheumatoid Arthritis;

Minimize Symptoms of the Common Cold, Allergies, and Other Respiratory Conditions;

Reduce Blood Lipid Levels

Ginger is also great for lowering excess levels of estrogen in the body. Eating more ginger is a positive action you can take in restoring healthy levels of estrogen and testosterone in your body. Remember, to experience the health benefits of ginger, you need to be consuming real ginger from the fresh root. You can find this in every grocery store, but try and buy organic. Commercial products, like ginger ale, often have no real ginger in them and a whole lot of artificial flavorings and corn syrup, and will not do anything positive for your health.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“You might have read that wheat grass helps you in losing weight and that it has many health benefits. But it is highly effective in relieving you from menstrual cramps and pain. Dr Namrata Bharambe, Panache Skin & Hair Clinic & Slimming Centre, says that wheat grass contains minerals like calcium, iron, sodium, magnesium, potassium and vitamins such as vitamin A, B, C and E and also helps in relieving menstrual problems like PMS.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Doctors believe that wheatgrass is an effective treatment for arthritis. This is because it contains lots of chlorophyll, which is known to fight of inflammation like that which is associated with joint pain.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 1DE7CB72-CAA4-4EA6-A3F2-38D990AAF3FA.jpeg
    1DE7CB72-CAA4-4EA6-A3F2-38D990AAF3FA.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 6
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A protein deficiency, possibly by increasing cortisol, is likely to contribute to increased FAS and fat synthesis (Bannister, et al., 1983), but the dietary protein shouldn't provide an excess of tryptophan, because of tryptophan's role as serotonin precursor--serotonin increases inflammation and glycolysis (Koren-Schwartzer, et al., 1994).” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The ability of nerve cells to become quiescent after excitation is essential to learning and perception. This ability is lost with aging, as the functional balance in the brain shifts away from GABA-ergic to glutamatergic nerves. The polyunsaturated fatty acids promote the excitatory nervous state.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The fats that we synthesize from sugar, or coconut oil, or oleic acid, the omega-9 series, are protective against the inflammatory PUFA, in some cases more effective even than vitamin E.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This was interesting, on digestion and bathing….

*Never take a shower after having a full meal: “It weakens the digestive fire, which is a warm energy in your stomach and gut, that aids digestion, absorption, and assimilation of nutrients,” the expert said. She explained that after eating, the body rushes blood to the digestive system to help in the digestion process. As such, taking a shower “distracts this blood flow from the stomach and rushes it instead to the surface of the skin,” she added.

Agreed Dr Garima and said that taking a shower after a heavy meal can, in some cases, lead to cramps, indigestion, or bloating. “Considering these effects, it may be ideal to take a bath at least an hour after a meal. In contrast, taking a bath before a meal makes your body rejuvenated and energised,” she added.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In the industrialized societies, the consumption of gelatin has decreased, relative to the foods that contain an inappropriately high proportion of the antimetabolic amino acids, especially tryptophan and cysteine.

The degenerative and inflammatory diseases can often be corrected by the use of gelatin-rich foods.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Some types of cell damage are prevented almost as well by alanine and proline as by glycine, so the use of gelatin, rather than glycine, is preferable, especially when the gelatin is associated with its normal biochemicals. For example, skin is a rich source of steroid hormones, and cartilage contains “Mead acid,” which is itself antiinflammatory.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
‘The notion that laughter could have a curative effect got a foothold decades ago when journalist Norman Cousins wrote the book “Anatomy of an Illness,” detailing his self-styled treatment for a form of arthritis called ankylosing spondylitis, which involved megadoses of Vitamin C, a positive attitude and regular laughter courtesy of a steady diet of old Marx Brothers movies. Cousins reported, “I made the joyous discovery that 10 minutes of genuine belly laughter had an anesthetic effect and would give me at least two hours of pain-free sleep … When the pain-killing effect of the laughter wore off, we would switch on the motion picture projector again and not infrequently, it would lead to another pain-free interval.”’

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The old characterization of estrogen and progesterone as “sex” and “pregnancy” hormones acting on a few tissues through specific receptors never had a good basis in evidence, but the accumulated evidence has now made those ideas impossible for an informed person to accept. (Progesterone increases the heart's pumping efficiency, and estrogen is antagonistic, and can produce cardiac arrhythmia.)” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Glycine's inhibitory effects appear to oppose estrogen's actions generally, in sensory and motor nerves, in regulating angiogenesis, and in modulating the cytokines and "chemokines" that are involved in so many inflammatory and degenerative diseases, especially tumor necrosis factor (TNF), nitric oxide (NO), and prostaglandins. Exposure to estrogen early in life can affect the health in adulthood, and so can an early deficiency of glycine. The degenerative diseases can begin in the earliest years of life, but because aging, like growth, is a developmental process, it's never too late to start the corrective process.“
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Although I pointed out a long time ago the antithyroid effects of excessive cysteine and tryptophan from eating only the muscle meats, and have been recommending gelatinous broth at bedtime to stop nocturnal stress, it took me many years to begin to experiment with large amounts of gelatin in my diet. Focusing on the various toxic effects of tryptophan and cysteine, I decided that using commercial gelatin, instead of broth, would be helpful for the experiment. For years I hadn't slept through a whole night without waking, and I was in the habit of having some juice or a little thyroid to help me go back to sleep. The first time I had several grams of gelatin just before bedtime, I slept without interruption for about 9 hours. I mentioned this effect to some friends, and later they told me that friends and relatives of theirs had recovered from long-standing pain problems (arthritic and rheumatic and possibly neurological) in just a few days after taking 10 or 15 grams of gelatin each day.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“For a long time, gelatin's therapeutic effect in arthritis was assumed to result from its use in repairing the cartilage or other connective tissues around joints, simply because those tissues contain so much collagen. (Marketers suggest that eating cartilage or gelatin will build cartilage or other collagenous tissue.) Some of the consumed gelatin does get incorporated into the joint cartilage, but that is a slow process, and the relief of pain and inflammation is likely to be almost immediate, resembling the antiinflammatory effect of cortisol or aspirin.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Since excess tryptophan is known to produce muscle pain, myositis, even muscular dystrophy, gelatin is an appropriate food for helping to correct those problems, simply because of its lack of tryptophan. (Again, the popular nutritional idea of amino acids as simply building blocks for tissues is exactly wrong--muscle protein can exacerbate muscle disease.) All of the conditions involving excess prolactin, serotonin, and cortisol (autism, postpartum and premenstrual problems, Cushing's disease, "diabetes," impotence, etc.) should benefit from reduced consumption of tryptophan. But the specifically antiinflammatory amino acids in gelatin also antagonize the excitatory effects of the tryptophan-serotonin-estrogen- prolactin system.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In every case I know about, the vegetable polyunsaturated fats have harmful effects on our physiology.

For example, they bind to the “receptor” proteins for cortisol, progesterone, and estrogen, and to all of the major proteins related to thyroid function, and to the vesicles that take up nerve transmitter substances, such as glutamic acid.

They allow glutamic acid to injure and kill cells through excessive stimulation; this process is similar to the nerve damage done by cobra venom, and other toxins.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Excess cortisol makes nerve cells more sensitive to excitotoxicity, but the cells are protected if they are provided with an unusually large amount of glucose.” -Ray Peat