Pain in feet

Jing

What would cause feet to feel like they are being crushed? I've had this pain on and off for years.

Ynot

I use to have pain in my feet but it wasn't the feeling of being crushed. More like pain through the bones and as if I couldn't walk for about 30 minutes every morning. I did ultrasounds and nothing showed up.
But I started taking collagen tablets for skin/hair reasons (just tablets) and it fixed the problem! This was years ago and I still take collagen tablets. Hope this helps.

Fairykiller

Where in your feet? When does the pain appear? Do you have callouses on your feet, and if so where?

OP
J

Jing

Where in your feet? When does the pain appear? Do you have callouses on your feet, and if so where?
All over my feet and it just appears randomly, I have some hardened skin on the back if my feet just above me heels.

OP
J

Jing

I use to have pain in my feet but it wasn't the feeling of being crushed. More like pain through the bones and as if I couldn't walk for about 30 minutes every morning. I did ultrasounds and nothing showed up.
But I started taking collagen tablets for skin/hair reasons (just tablets) and it fixed the problem! This was years ago and I still take collagen tablets. Hope this helps.
Maybe I'll give it a go.

Ynot

Maybe I'll give it a go.

It may be a different issue as mine were the bones of the feet not near the heel but other people i have suggested it to who have all sorts of pains it seems to help. I was getting Neocell brand collagen tablets - this one Super Collagen + C and just taking 3 a day. I can't get it into Australia easily now so have switched brands and has been ok so far!

Forsythia

It sounds like you are both describing Plantar Fasciitis. The pain is caused by the ligaments that run from the heel to toes becoming inflammed and tightening up, usually overnight, and causes excruciating pain. I have experienced this twice in my life, both times because of weight gain and both times, once I lost the weight, it completely disappeared. There are various things you can do, such as massage and exercises as well as wearing special socks to keep the ligaments stretched out.

Phosphor

I was told that plantar fasciitis is both caused by and made worse by wearing flip-flops, any shoes where you grab with your toes to keep them on. To relieve the pain people are told to wear high arch supports, and it goes away in time. Sometimes a long time.

LA

What would cause feet to feel like they are being crushed? I've had this pain on and off for years.
It could be plantar fasciitis, which I had once when trying to keep walking along with someone who was taller and I ended up sort of running. This is what I did to treat it.

A foot hold that spurs healing
By Janet Cromley, Times Staff Writer
November 13, 2006

Effective
Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow
. The sharp heel pain of plantar fasciitis is all too familiar to court-stomping superstar dunkers and pavement-pounding regular Joes alike.

Now a study by a team of foot experts provides new evidence that a simple exercise can help give that pain the boot — potentially bringing relief to the more than 2 million Americans hobbled annually by the injury.

Plantar fasciitis is caused by a small tearing, or micro-tearing, of the plantar fascia — a rope-like band of fibrous tissue that runs from the heel to the toes and supports the arch. Caused by working or exercising on hard surfaces, it bedevils nurses, teachers and athletes of all stripes. Lakers guard Kobe Bryant has had it. So has Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols.

Unlike many overuse injuries caused by excessive strain, plantar fasciitis often follows relatively mild activity, such as standing, walking or jogging, on a hard surface. The injury is vexing because it can take from six to nine months to recover completely. For about 10% of unlucky sufferers, it takes longer.

The study, led by Dr. Benedict DiGiovanni, an orthopedic surgeon and associate professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of Rochester, tested a new exercise specifically designed to stretch the plantar fascia. DiGiovanni theorized that it might be more effective than the Achilles tendon stretch — a common exercise for the injury.

The stretch involves curling the toes backward while flexing the ankle (see sidebar). In an earlier investigation published in 2003, he compared the exercise to the Achilles tendon stretch in an eight-week clinical trial of 82 patients who had suffered from plantar fasciitis for more than 10 months.

Patients were taught protocols for either the Achilles stretch or the plantar fascia stretch. After two months, the plantar fascia stretch group reported significantly less pain and more improvement in their condition than the Achilles tendon group, based on their responses to questions about pain and satisfaction with treatment.

DiGiovanni's new study, published in a recent issue of the Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, examined the progress, two years on, of 66 patients from the first study. All had been instructed in the proper way to perform the plantar fascia stretching exercise at the termination of the initial study.

Based on their responses, patients in the original Achilles tendon group who had been taught the plantar fascia stretch showed marked improvement, essentially catching up with the plantar fascia group. In all, 92% of patients in both groups reported total or near-total satisfaction with the treatment, and 94% reported a decrease in pain.

Dr. Timothy Charlton, an orthopedic surgeon and assistant professor of orthopedic Surgery at USC's Keck School of Medicine, says he likes the stretch and recommends it to his plantar fasciitis patients.

Other treatments include icing; night splints (to keep the foot at a 90-degree angle while sleeping); orthotics and heel inserts; anti-inflammatory medications; shock wave therapy; and surgery.

The pain of plantar fasciitis tends to be most intense after periods of inactivity, such as in the morning, when first getting out of bed, or after extended sitting. During those periods, "the body tries to heal those micro tears," DiGiovanni says. But the reverse can occur as soon as the sufferer gets up. Small movements, such as the simple act of walking, creates further tearing.

DiGiovanni believes that part of the success of his stretch is due to the fact that he recommends doing it immediately after getting out of bed and after other periods of inactivity — before the damage is done.

The key to avoiding plantar fasciitis, say foot doctors, is to exercise conservatively; avoid hard surfaces (such as concrete and asphalt) both at work and at play; invest in a pair of good, supportive, properly fitted shoes; and replace them regularly.

DiGiovanni himself has experienced the pain of plantar fasciitis — after a round of golf.

"I woke up in the morning, put that first step down, and said, 'Oh my goodness, I've got it. I can't believe I've got it.' "

Fortunately, he knew what to do. "I started the stretch right off the bat," he says.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
janet.cromley @ latimes.com

Recovery stretch

Got a hurtin' heel? The following exercise can speed recovery from plantar fasciitis. The best time to do the stretch is immediately after the foot has been immobilized for a while, such as when you first get out of bed or the car.

• Sit upright in a chair, barefoot. Place the ankle of the affected foot on the opposite knee.

• Using the same hand as the affected foot, reach across and grab the toes.

• Flex the ankle forward and pull the toes toward shin.

• To test the stretch, place the thumb of your other hand on the bottom of the foot. You should be able to feel the cord-like plantar fascia running the length of the foot.

• Hold the stretch for a count of 10, then relax. Repeat 10 times. Perform the sequence at least three times a day.

Attachments

• 26385746.jpg
    26385746.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 11
OP
J

Jing

It could be plantar fasciitis, which I had once when trying to keep walking along with someone who was taller and I ended up sort of running. This is what I did to treat it.

A foot hold that spurs healing
By Janet Cromley, Times Staff Writer
November 13, 2006

Effective
Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow
. The sharp heel pain of plantar fasciitis is all too familiar to court-stomping superstar dunkers and pavement-pounding regular Joes alike.

Now a study by a team of foot experts provides new evidence that a simple exercise can help give that pain the boot — potentially bringing relief to the more than 2 million Americans hobbled annually by the injury.

Plantar fasciitis is caused by a small tearing, or micro-tearing, of the plantar fascia — a rope-like band of fibrous tissue that runs from the heel to the toes and supports the arch. Caused by working or exercising on hard surfaces, it bedevils nurses, teachers and athletes of all stripes. Lakers guard Kobe Bryant has had it. So has Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols.

Unlike many overuse injuries caused by excessive strain, plantar fasciitis often follows relatively mild activity, such as standing, walking or jogging, on a hard surface. The injury is vexing because it can take from six to nine months to recover completely. For about 10% of unlucky sufferers, it takes longer.

The study, led by Dr. Benedict DiGiovanni, an orthopedic surgeon and associate professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of Rochester, tested a new exercise specifically designed to stretch the plantar fascia. DiGiovanni theorized that it might be more effective than the Achilles tendon stretch — a common exercise for the injury.

The stretch involves curling the toes backward while flexing the ankle (see sidebar). In an earlier investigation published in 2003, he compared the exercise to the Achilles tendon stretch in an eight-week clinical trial of 82 patients who had suffered from plantar fasciitis for more than 10 months.

Patients were taught protocols for either the Achilles stretch or the plantar fascia stretch. After two months, the plantar fascia stretch group reported significantly less pain and more improvement in their condition than the Achilles tendon group, based on their responses to questions about pain and satisfaction with treatment.

DiGiovanni's new study, published in a recent issue of the Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, examined the progress, two years on, of 66 patients from the first study. All had been instructed in the proper way to perform the plantar fascia stretching exercise at the termination of the initial study.

Based on their responses, patients in the original Achilles tendon group who had been taught the plantar fascia stretch showed marked improvement, essentially catching up with the plantar fascia group. In all, 92% of patients in both groups reported total or near-total satisfaction with the treatment, and 94% reported a decrease in pain.

Dr. Timothy Charlton, an orthopedic surgeon and assistant professor of orthopedic Surgery at USC's Keck School of Medicine, says he likes the stretch and recommends it to his plantar fasciitis patients.

Other treatments include icing; night splints (to keep the foot at a 90-degree angle while sleeping); orthotics and heel inserts; anti-inflammatory medications; shock wave therapy; and surgery.

The pain of plantar fasciitis tends to be most intense after periods of inactivity, such as in the morning, when first getting out of bed, or after extended sitting. During those periods, "the body tries to heal those micro tears," DiGiovanni says. But the reverse can occur as soon as the sufferer gets up. Small movements, such as the simple act of walking, creates further tearing.

DiGiovanni believes that part of the success of his stretch is due to the fact that he recommends doing it immediately after getting out of bed and after other periods of inactivity — before the damage is done.

The key to avoiding plantar fasciitis, say foot doctors, is to exercise conservatively; avoid hard surfaces (such as concrete and asphalt) both at work and at play; invest in a pair of good, supportive, properly fitted shoes; and replace them regularly.

DiGiovanni himself has experienced the pain of plantar fasciitis — after a round of golf.

"I woke up in the morning, put that first step down, and said, 'Oh my goodness, I've got it. I can't believe I've got it.' "

Fortunately, he knew what to do. "I started the stretch right off the bat," he says.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
janet.cromley @ latimes.com

Recovery stretch

Got a hurtin' heel? The following exercise can speed recovery from plantar fasciitis. The best time to do the stretch is immediately after the foot has been immobilized for a while, such as when you first get out of bed or the car.

• Sit upright in a chair, barefoot. Place the ankle of the affected foot on the opposite knee.

• Using the same hand as the affected foot, reach across and grab the toes.

• Flex the ankle forward and pull the toes toward shin.

• To test the stretch, place the thumb of your other hand on the bottom of the foot. You should be able to feel the cord-like plantar fascia running the length of the foot.

• Hold the stretch for a count of 10, then relax. Repeat 10 times. Perform the sequence at least three times a day.
How is this diagnosed? I've been doing physiotherapy a few times for this and they have never said anything about this.

LA

How is this diagnosed? I've been doing physiotherapy a few times for this and they have never said anything about this.
Back in 2006/ 2007 my dad’s regular doctor referred him to a Podiatrist. The Podiatrist examined him, gave him some tips and referred him to a Physical Therapist since that was the “Standard of Care” for his diagnosis.

He went in for walking lessons, instructions on foot massage, and also had a pair of custom-made insoles made for his shoes by a shoemaker who worked with the health group.

He still was having problems so I discussed his situation with a relative who had retired and his wife was still working as an Activities Director in one of those fancy retirement villages. She sent a black and white photocopy of the LA Times news article to my parents. I looked for it online and made a copy of the full color image of the foot massage treatment. It helped my father and I to get a better picture in our minds of the exact massage.

Then I had the same thing happen to me about 5 or 6 years later.
I visited my Rheumatologist who was serving as my primary care doctor and he told me that he and I had the same problem (at that time) from wearing inappropriate shoes! Then he told me the boots I wore were bad for fast walking, which I had already recognized . He showed me his flexible bottom sports-shoes and gave me an exercise to stand on the edge of a stair, and demonstrated it by using a step-stair, which he slid out from the bottom of the examine table. He stood on the edge of the “stair” and went up on down pumping his foot gently to stretch the bottom of his foot. I mentioned the article I had and he told me that his wife had that one too and we both do that exercise AND we never go walking without wearing good walking shoes!
He admonished me a bit about the shoes I had been wearing when I hurt the bottom of my foot. I took the shoes along with me in a bag in case he asked what I had been wearing. He looked at them and said that those are okay for standing around or to walk slowly in an out someplace but NO FAST walking when wearing a shoe with such a stiff sole.

You also might consider doing slow, gentle limbering exercises for your lower back in case your spine is locked up due to bad posture.
Bad posture, slumping while sitting, sitting too long, etc, etc, will cause tingles in the legs for me. Therefore, I do easy does it Tai Chi warm up exercises and sometimes I can hear the spine snap back into place. You might also need B-12 and B-5. Read the Adelle Davis books. Go to the index and look up "Feet: pain in, cramps in her book 'Let's Eat Right To Keep Fit" it is loaded on this site. NOTE: Dr. Peat does not recommend vitamins so this is not in keeping with his teaching. I knew about Adelle Davis health tips before I ever found Dr. Peat. She is NOT good on starch and junk oil due to the era in which she lived.
Best wishes in your recovery !

Last edited:
K

Kaur Singh

There is a kind of pain that happens usually upon waking,
or if you lay down during the day, when you come to standing.
It goes away after a while of moving around.
If this is perhaps the kind of pain you refer to:

I think this has to do with blood circulation
and that thick/sticky blood/hypovolemia thing
NO/CO2/cell swelling come to bear.

net result = improve thyroid function

OP
J

Jing

There is a kind of pain that happens usually upon waking,
or if you lay down during the day, when you come to standing.
It goes away after a while of moving around.
If this is perhaps the kind of pain you refer to:

I think this has to do with blood circulation
and that thick/sticky blood/hypovolemia thing
NO/CO2/cell swelling come to bear.

net result = improve thyroid function
What would you suggest to improve thyroid I'm already taking t3?

K

Kaur Singh

As for me
Making sure that one is working on all things bearing on thyroid function
[ vitamin D / good cholesterol levels / reduced serotonin estrogen LPS inflammation / good nutrition / sunlight / sleep / CO2 production etc]

I added a little T4/T3 at night and felt a difference
[ to the daily T3 ]
I saw improvements at microdoses

but then a super-stress event would come by
and it would reduce gains I had made

I realized that I had forgotten about increasing the dose

So I started doing that
and it knocked my temperatures down
and all those stressful feelings with it too
(startling easy, racing heart, racing mind, etc)
and I'm calm and can deal with the stressful events better
sleep a little bit better
etc

so now working on increasing the dose SLOWLY
remember to give T4 a few weeks before changing the dose.

Low and slow seems to be the name of the game for most

This is really an art, getting thyroid supplementation working

I'm still learning

I do pace too.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kaur Singh

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 22.35.06.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 22.35.06.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 21