P. Acnes (Bacteria That Causes Acne) Linked To Hair Loss: What To Do About It

Soren

Forum Supporter
Interesting article posted by Rob at perfect hair health on acne bacteria and hair loss.

https://perfecthairhealth.com/p-acnes-bacteria-may-cause-hair-loss-heres-what-to-do-about-it/

Basically states how too much of bacterial strain known as propionibacterium acnes (P. Acnes) which feeds off of sebum may contribute to hair loss due to chronic low level inflammation.

Says that this bacteria is just on the line between harmless and pathogenic so it can lead to consistent low levels of inflammation. He also claims that its proliferation is tied to calcification.

An interesting connection in one study he cites shows the connection between high levels of P. Acnes and hair casts and that when P. Acnes was targeted with antibiotics the casts disappeared. Although he does not advocate using antibiotics as treatment because as he points out P. Acnes often develops resistance to this and comes back stronger.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
I used to also get really painful spots on my scalp too. Recently I've tried something new that seems to have stopped them, I started taking cold showers.

A little backstory, I stopped using shampoo a while ago except on occasion to wash out products such as hairspray etc. The idea being that the shampoo was washing away all my natural oils and making my scalp overproduce them which was contributing to hair loss.

So i switched to washing my hair simply with hot water and this did a good job of spreading the oil on my scalp, and it felt like it kept it pretty clean. However, what I think it actually did was also strip away the oils on my scalp just not as much as shampoo did. Hot water is pretty good at wiping away oils on the scalp too and cold showers for me have so far made a big difference.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals