Ozempic (semaglutide)

David PS

Weight-loss semaglutides that mimic calorie restriction like Ozempic appears to drive bone loss:

"An unintended consequence of caloric restriction may be bone loss. Cutting calories can drive fat loss in subcutaneous body fat depots. Yay. Great right? Except an emerging line of research is consistently showing that caloric restriction most likely drives a shift in bone marrow stem cells that result in BONE LOSS.
Thanks, I know 2 people who have had bariatric surgery and they now have bone loss. They look frail. Bariatric surgery is basically a surgically-enforced fast and bone loss is a known side effect. I thought it was the result of reduced intestinal absorption of calcium. Lack of sufficient body fat appears to be an additional factor to add to the flow chart in this article.

Last edited:

Nfinkelstein

But on the other side, what is worse, being grossly overweight or having gastric bypass / taking semaglutides along with their potential side effects? Many of the patients who go these routes will not lose weight otherwise.

Badger

But on the other side, what is worse, being grossly overweight or having gastric bypass / taking semaglutides along with their potential side effects? Many of the patients who go these routes will not lose weight otherwise.
Good question. Difficult to answer.

David PS

I think these drugs are very dangerous. You know that Dr. Peat would have been incredibly negative on them and for good reason. They are unsafe.

The answer to being fat, in my experience, is something like the Kempner diet, well cooked white rice, nonfat milk, fruit. I know most people won’t stick to that, but it has cured people of terminal disease and brought their weight down.

I lost almost 50 pounds over two years, without limiting calories or skipping meals. Just eating high carb and avoiding wheat mostly.

David PS

David PS

Everyone is talking about Eli Lilly’s new “super drug” for diabetes and weight loss — Mounjaro.
But what they’re not saying is it costs $10,000-$14,000 a year and must be taken forever or the weight will be regained.
It could kill Medicare and collapse our health care system.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrjAhDQKpS0

David PS

Snicky

I am less familiar with all of Ray Peat’s body of work than most on here, but cannot imagine he’d see these drugs as understood well enough to risk betting on them. It looks like we have enough preliminary info to be skeptical, in fact, maybe more than enough to conclude that, as usual, the claims are too good to be true..

I can only say that Ozempic and one older product in the same class of drugs successfully caused my Type-2 Diabetes dad to lose weight, and have significantly reduced appetite.

But it was also not without two other extremely unpleasant, ultimately intolerable side effects:
—really nasty sulphur burps 🤢that could pollute a room
—bowel incontinence with diarrhea

He visited me 2x, once while on the first drug (back in 2020), then this past winter while on Ozempic. In 2020 a doctor here made the connection between this particular med and his debilitating symptoms.
Early this year, I had to beg him to stop taking Ozempic because I was seeing the same pattern again and he smelled awful, and it was really unpleasant in the house. 😅😅

After he went back home, later, he decided on hid own to give up Ozempic because he couldn’t handle the loose stool and incontinence issue.

For me Americans are too trusting of pharma and frequently seeking quick fixes, ignoring the potential (or even evidence) for longterm damage or other (what would be for me) dealbreaker consequences.

I’m trying to get my mother to challenge her doctor on the heavy statin regime she has been put on as I see cachexia and massive sarcopenia, yet her doctor never once mentioned it as an issue to look out for or noticed how frail my mom has become snd attempted to intervene. This stuff makes me so mad. 😡

Time&energy

I am less familiar with all of Ray Peat’s body of work than most on here, but cannot imagine he’d see these drugs as understood well enough to risk betting on them. It looks like we have enough preliminary info to be skeptical, in fact, maybe more than enough to conclude that, as usual, the claims are too good to be true..

I can only say that Ozempic and one older product in the same class of drugs successfully caused my Type-2 Diabetes dad to lose weight, and have significantly reduced appetite.

But it was also not without two other extremely unpleasant, ultimately intolerable side effects:
—really nasty sulphur burps 🤢that could pollute a room
—bowel incontinence with diarrhea

He visited me 2x, once while on the first drug (back in 2020), then this past winter while on Ozempic. In 2020 a doctor here made the connection between this particular med and his debilitating symptoms.
Early this year, I had to beg him to stop taking Ozempic because I was seeing the same pattern again and he smelled awful, and it was really unpleasant in the house. 😅😅

After he went back home, later, he decided on hid own to give up Ozempic because he couldn’t handle the loose stool and incontinence issue.

For me Americans are too trusting of pharma and frequently seeking quick fixes, ignoring the potential (or even evidence) for longterm damage or other (what would be for me) dealbreaker consequences.

I’m trying to get my mother to challenge her doctor on the heavy statin regime she has been put on as I see cachexia and massive sarcopenia, yet her doctor never once mentioned it as an issue to look out for or noticed how frail my mom has become snd attempted to intervene. This stuff makes me so mad. 😡
lol i think he'd compare it to eating raw beans or something

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals