Oysters - How Often Can I Eat A Good Portion Of Them?

lindsay

I am very lucky to live in a region of the US that is abundant in oysters - and really good ones. Yet, I've been dumb for the past few years and rarely eat them - like maybe a few times per year, mainly because they are pricey.

However, there is a local restaurant/bar that has buck a shuck Mondays (Tuesday's are half-priced Oysters Rockefeller). Today I went and got 8 raw beautiful large oysters (I have no problem ingesting raw seafood) - they were so good and I was like, why the heck don't I do this every Monday? Makes them way more affordable.

So my question is, would eating oysters once per week be overdoing it in the zinc department (8 large oysters is something like 75 mg of zinc)? I think I'm usually rather low on zinc and recently had really bad non mood-related PMS symptoms, so I'd like to boost my zinc intake without a supplement and without overdoing it and I prefer oysters to beef, digestion wise. Considering Oysters are REALLY high in zinc (and B12, which I've always been on the low side with), is once week too much? Not enough? The thing that kicked my butt to the $1 oyster day was I got another white spot on one of my nails - second one in a LONG time. I know it's probably nothing, but that always screams zinc to me.

Would love to hear thoughts and peoples' experience - especially females. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Tarmander

God what I would not give for a dollar an oyster. I would liteerally eat 30 of them

OP
lindsay

lindsay

God what I would not give for a dollar an oyster. I would liteerally eat 30 of them

Maybe next week I will get a full dozen. They are normally 6/$13, so Mondays are pretty special at the Oyster Bar happy hour.

tankasnowgod

I eat a tin of the Crown Prince oysters once a week, sometimes twice, and have no issues, although I'm a male. Been doing that for months. The only time I've heard of people having zinc or copper related issues is when they eat a something like a dozen or two, 3-5 nights a week for a few weeks. I would think once or twice a week would be fine, especially if you're craving them.

I went to a similar deal a few years ago, and it was pretty awesome. I might try and scout out something like that, I'm right by the ocean right now.

tara

I think a dozen a week is what Peat has recommended for zinc? Not sure if he was thinking of large or small ones. If the oysters are large and you are small, maybe 8-12 is good?

I've had white flecks on my nails all my adult life till recently, when I got a little more systematic with zinc supplement (~20mg/week). Can't afford to eat oysters often, or I'd be going for a dozen a week too.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

I eat a tin of the Crown Prince oysters once a week, sometimes twice, and have no issues, although I'm a male. Been doing that for months. The only time I've heard of people having zinc or copper related issues is when they eat a something like a dozen or two, 3-5 nights a week for a few weeks. I would think once or twice a week would be fine, especially if you're craving them.

I went to a similar deal a few years ago, and it was pretty awesome. I might try and scout out something like that, I'm right by the ocean right now.

Good to know! Since they have deals on oysters two nights per week (and there are likely other restaurants which do as well), I think I might give this a go. Oysters are not my favorite shellfish in terms of taste, but when they are good, they are really good and certainly edible :):

Not sure where you are by the ocean, but if you are in Florida or on the gulf of Mexico, I would go on a hunt for a place selling conch fish - by far my most favorite of all marine foods!

OP
lindsay

lindsay

I think a dozen a week is what Peat has recommended for zinc? Not sure if he was thinking of large or small ones. If the oysters are large and you are small, maybe 8-12 is good?

I've had white flecks on my nails all my adult life till recently, when I got a little more systematic with zinc supplement (~20mg/week). Can't afford to eat oysters often, or I'd be going for a dozen a week too.

Thank you! That's good to know. I think I can only stomach 8 to 12 oysters in one sitting. Shellfish, while wonderful, isn't always easy going down - I have to remember to chew really really well. Fortunately, I brought some betaine with me yesterday :) And, I think if I try them without the raw onion chutney, it would be must better in the digestion department - but the raw onion chutney is so good.

I've been thinking for awhile that part of my amenorrhea these past few years could be due to nutrition deficiency more than low thyroid (though I had bad pituitary issues from having an ovary removed) - especially since I am taking thyroid regularly. I've had issues with low B12 for years and I found RP after a terrible vegetarian and undernourished background. I think I care way more about nutrients and minerals than I do about getting enough carbs at this point. Sugar is great and I like eating it, but I'd rather make sure I'm getting my vitamins and minerals - even if it means packing in seafood, beef and high fat cheese. I'm not a big eater and not trying to pack in 5,000 calories a day, so I like to put my pennies into nutrients. These are what make me feel better, I think.

Have you noticed anything more particular since supplementing zinc? I always get constipated when I've taken zinc in the past, so I want to get it from foods as much as possible. You know, cheese is really high in zinc - if you are eating dairy. But the high fat stuff has more. I think that's where I get most of my zinc intake - usually average around 6 or 7 mg per day from high fat dairy. However, I think 11 mg is recommended for adult women per day, so I'm still coming up short if I don't eat those oysters once per week!

tara

Have you noticed anything more particular since supplementing zinc? I always get constipated when I've taken zinc in the past, so I want to get it from foods as much as possible. You know, cheese is really high in zinc - if you are eating dairy. But the high fat stuff has more. I think that's where I get most of my zinc intake - usually average around 6 or 7 mg per day from high fat dairy. However, I think 11 mg is recommended for adult women per day, so I'm still coming up short if I don't eat those oysters once per week!
I've had trouble with an itchy skin rash for more than a year. I think it is a little better when I remember to supplement zinc - just tried that because people say skin issues can sometimes can sometimes be associated with zinc or vit-A deficiency. Skin and the nails are the only things I'm convinced are connected with the zinc - could be other effects that I haven't connected. I don't usually get constipation, but it can get me along with migraines. I'll see if I can spot a pattern. Haven't checked through cronometer recently, but I assume I'm getting some through food, but maybe not enough. I love cheese, but it doesn't love me. I do eat some butter most days. :(I haven't been keen to do daily supplementation - Peat has been a bit cautious of it - so I try to make sure I get once a week, but maybe twice a week would be better. Zinc picolinate tastes terrible.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

You might be interested in itch/serotonin discussion at:
Itching May Be Driven By Serotonin

This makes sense - I had an eczema outbreak on my eyelids (of all places) when I had appendicitis two years ago. It cleared up when I went on antibiotics.

@tara - for what it's worth, I was able to stop my eczema entirely when I was in college by using petroleum jelly. I still use the all natural stuff at night time. I'm not sure the mechanism, but it worked just as well as the steroid cream the doctor had prescribed me. Do you still eat dairy? I know dairy can be problematic for some. It's interesting because I was reading about proteins in milk again, and it seems that most people with hashimotos develop weird immune responses to the proteins in most milks (except camel milk). I think it varies for everyone, but I'm trying to keep my dairy intake limited to sheep and goats' milk products and cream (which has little protein in it). I might try Jersey cow milk too, as they are A2 protein producing.

tara

@tara - for what it's worth, I was able to stop my eczema entirely when I was in college by using petroleum jelly. I still use the all natural stuff at night time. I'm not sure the mechanism, but it worked just as well as the steroid cream the doctor had prescribed me. Do you still eat dairy? I know dairy can be problematic for some. It's interesting because I was reading about proteins in milk again, and it seems that most people with hashimotos develop weird immune responses to the proteins in most milks (except camel milk). I think it varies for everyone, but I'm trying to keep my dairy intake limited to sheep and goats' milk products and cream (which has little protein in it). I might try Jersey cow milk too, as they are A2 protein producing.
I've been smearing quite a lot of myself with my homemade potion: cocoa butter, coconut oil, a little beeswax. It helps. I did use petroleum gel on the worst breakouts, but not all over. Overall it's better than it was - very little of the unsightly rash and not the ext4rme itch I had for a while, but still bothersomely itchy from time to time most days.
Not much dairy, but a little butter most days, and a little cream several times a week, and sometimes white chocolate that contains milk. The first two, as you say, don't have much protein; the latter does. I've regretfully backed off drinking milk. :( I've tried goats milk in the past and got the brain fog etc symptoms from that too. Not seen any sources of sheep or camel milk around here, though I'd love to try it if I came across some. Yogurt and cheese are worse (maybe histamines or other amines?).

You might be interested in itch/serotonin discussion at:
Itching May Be Driven By Serotonin
I did read that thread. I was aware there's a connection between itching and serotonin. This is a problem that's only come up for me in the last couple of years. Based on other symptoms, I'd guess I've had had highish serotonin for years, though not tested.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals