Oyster Source/Brand - Glass/Jarred Rather Than Fresh/Canned

A-Tim

1) Fresh Oysters
Pro - Healthy and fresh.
Con - Expensive and a pain to buy as they don't keep a long time.

2) Canned Oysters
Pro - Cheap, portable, long-lasting.
Con - Canned - along with whatever contaminants that might include - BPA, alum, etc.

Does anyone know of an alternative to canned oysters - one which is is portable and long-lasting (preferably priced more like canned than fresh oysters), but isn't contaminated with BPA like toxins? I.e. A glass/jarred oyster product. I'm in Australia, so an Australian source would be ideal, but the question one is open to global answers. I might be able to get in contact with a supplier and order bulk if someone can identify a foreign source.

Thanks!

Old Irenaeus

Where are folks buying their canned oysters today? Local groceries only have them canned in cottonseed oil. I don't understand why they put the delicious oysters into this industrial byproduct, but whatever. Where have you found the best deals on oysters packed in olive oil or other oyster options? thx.

I get my oysters fresh from Maine however I doubt shipping to Australia would be at all practical. I can give source if anyone else interested though.

OP
A-Tim

A-Tim

I get my oysters fresh from Maine however I doubt shipping to Australia would be at all practical. I can give source if anyone else interested though.
Fresh oysters are easily available here in Australia. I was curious about solutions at the intersection of portable, cheap, and not canned.

OP
A-Tim

A-Tim

Where are folks buying their canned oysters today? Local groceries only have them canned in cottonseed oil. I don't understand why they put the delicious oysters into this industrial byproduct, but whatever. Where have you found the best deals on oysters packed in olive oil or other oyster options? thx.
We have canned oysters in springwater at our large supermarkets. They are sourced from China if I recall. Usually this is enough to have me avoid buying a product, since their quality control is a shitshow.

However, I read somewhere that all farmed oysters are raised in the ocean, so I operate under the assumption that the quality control ought to be similar to non-china facilities.

LadyRae

I get canned oysters in water, but sometimes find raw oysters in glass at Costco or smaller markets..

I'd ask the butcher at your favorite shops...

OP
A-Tim

A-Tim

I get canned oysters in water, but sometimes find raw oysters in glass at Costco or smaller markets..

I'd ask the butcher at your favorite shops...
Interesting. I'll look into it. We have two Costco's in my state. Never had a reason to visit one until now.

Interested in the oyster source. Thanks
Scully Sea Products | Edgecomb, Maine

Not cheap by any means, but the best quality I have found. And if you like larger oyster you can get those for the same unit price plus extra shipping for additional weight. Normally now if the perfect time for gulf oysters, but the river up there may still be frozen for about a month. These are perfect summer oysters because the water is so cold.

reality

Here in the U.K. there’s not many options so personally I’ve been eating the canned oysters in sunflower oil and just make sure I fully wipe them clean. Not ideal, but I think the pros out way the cons of a tiny amount of PUFA.

LadyRae

Interesting. I'll look into it. We have two Costco's in my state. Never had a reason to visit one until now.
Also: giant, ripe honeydew melon, organic maple syrup and raw honey, large bags of organic coffee beans, raw apple cider vinegar, wild shrimp and scallops (frozen), organic carrots and white button mushrooms, organic sugar, ....oh my goodness, so many good deals on real food 🙂💥

OP
A-Tim

A-Tim

Also: giant, ripe honeydew melon, organic maple syrup and raw honey, large bags of organic coffee beans, raw apple cider vinegar, wild shrimp and scallops (frozen), organic carrots and white button mushrooms, organic sugar, ....oh my goodness, so many good deals on real food 🙂💥
Wow I didn't realise Costco had these kinds of quality products. I assumed that as they sold items in bulk it would be low quality stuff.

dukesbobby777

Here in the U.K. there’s not many options so personally I’ve been eating the canned oysters in sunflower oil and just make sure I fully wipe them clean. Not ideal, but I think the pros out way the cons of a tiny amount of PUFA.

What options have you found in the UK?

Zoltanman

you may have just Costco-converted me with that list of tasty things :): i had the same misconceptions as the OP stuck in my brain...

Smelly5

Wow I didn't realise Costco had these kinds of quality products. I assumed that as they sold items in bulk it would be low quality stuff.
Did you confirm if Costco in australia has good oysters?

LadyRae

you may have just Costco-converted me with that list of tasty things :): i had the same misconceptions as the OP stuck in my brain...
I just bought a jar of raw Pacific northwest oysters at Costco for $16. They are delicious with salt and hot sauce. I have 3 or 4 every morning first thing.

OP
A-Tim

A-Tim

Did you confirm if Costco in australia has good oysters?
I haven't had a chance to go to one. They're quite a distance from where I live. If I do get around to visiting, I'll be sure to post here what I find.

76er

I grab six can of this one recently => https://www.vitacost.com/crown-prince-whole-oysters-packed-in-water

They are pretty good and I'll probably continue to get them over the Chicken of the Sea brand I normally get (listed above).

FWIW:
In this instance, I prepared these Crown price oysters in organic Passata with fresh crushed garlic seasoned with dried parsley and oregano.

I then refrigerate (I have to seal tightly and then still need an Arm and Hammer baking soda container close by to absorb the orders) and put ~3 oysters on a slice of homemade pizza in the morning (w/ my coffee). I've never eaten canned oysters straight. I just can't do it.

@LadyRae Wish we had a Costco nearby – that sounds like a bargain for US sourced oysters (are they from the US?). What's the size of the jar?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals