Oyster Problem

M

marikay

Hello.

I am having trouble getting oysters into my diet. I’ve been using canned oysters (packed in water) and making oyster stew according to various recipes found here and on YouTube.

A couple of hours after eating the stew (I eat no more than six or seven oysters at one time) I experience waves of nausea and then a bout of dysentery. The problem goes away after a few hours and the next day I do feel more energetic so I think some of the oyster benefit is getting in.

Dow anyone have an idea of what I might be doing wrong with the oyster stew to cause this problem? Could it be that this is just my digestive system getting used to the oysters and it will go away eventually?

Also, what foods (or supplements) should I increase if I have to forego oysters altogether?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Arnold Grape

Oysters are super nutrient dense, so you may be consuming too much. My conjecture is that you may be reacting to something else in the soup, combined with this nutrient dense food, which is making you ill. Try to source fresh oysters where possible and check the difference in symptoms.

theLaw

From one of your posts....
Thanks for replying. I’m only getting about 50 grams of protein a day and have been under the impression that I am getting too little protein. But I’ll keep this in mind before I missively increase the protein.

Protein deficiency can cause serious digestive problems. 80-100G (min) is necessary.

18358703_1314113298644419_8271509289419210606_o.jpg

Oysters can be a bit tough, especially if they're cooked, so it sounds like they might be making into your lower bowel and causing problems.

Experiments:

1. Try taking 1 tbsp of vinegar an hour before a meal......then with the meal.......then 1 hour after the meal. If it improves your symptoms, then it's probably sub-optimal digestion.

2. Eat a carrot with the meal, then another one an hour later. This will keep things moving in your bowel, and mitigate some of the edotoxin.

Taurine and salt can also be very beneficial for digestion. But just keep in mind, there is no magic way out of protein deficiency or under-eating. At 50G/day, this should have been a red-flag for you, but it doesn't appear that you saw it as a serious problem.

OP
M

marikay

Oysters are super nutrient dense, so you may be consuming too much. My conjecture is that you may be reacting to something else in the soup, combined with this nutrient dense food, which is making you ill. Try to source fresh oysters where possible and check the difference in symptoms.

Will look for fresh oysters. Thanks for your help.

Beastmode

Since the quarantine, I've been having about 1 can of oysters per week (crown prince in olive oil.)

If I bake them on 350 for 15 minutes with butter, they seem to digest a lot better than when I make a soup like recipe with them.

I typically get them fresh and will start too once the local places are up and running like before.

They are definitely a superfood, if there's such a thing, as my brain functioning goes up, feel more calm and sleep considerably deeper.

OP
M

marikay

From one of your posts....

Protein deficiency can cause serious digestive problems. 80-100G (min) is necessary.

18358703_1314113298644419_8271509289419210606_o.jpg

Oysters can be a bit tough, especially if they're cooked, so it sounds like they might be making into your lower bowel and causing problems.

Experiments:

1. Try taking 1 tbsp of vinegar an hour before a meal......then with the meal.......then 1 hour after the meal. If it improves your symptoms, then it's probably sub-optimal digestion.

2. Eat a carrot with the meal, then another one an hour later. This will keep things moving in your bowel, and mitigate some of the edotoxin.

Taurine and salt can also be very beneficial for digestion. But just keep in mind, there is no magic way out of protein deficiency or under-eating. At 50G/day, this should have been a red-flag for you, but it doesn't appear that you saw it as a serious problem.

I am happy to report that I have increased my protein intake to 80 grams or more per day for some time now. But I will try all of your suggestions anyway.

I’m a little hesitant on the vinegar as prior vinegar intake has led to estrogen symptoms for me, but I’ll try it anyway. Carrots are a staple for me but I’ll try one with the oyster stew when I eat it again. I was thinking the oysters were moving too fast through my system but maybe not.

I get lots of salt and I love it. Taurine I get (I think) from cheese.

Thanks for your thoughts.

OP
M

marikay

Since the quarantine, I've been having about 1 can of oysters per week (crown prince in olive oil.)

If I bake them on 350 for 15 minutes with butter, they seem to digest a lot better than when I make a soup like recipe with them.

I typically get them fresh and will start too once the local places are up and running like before.

They are definitely a superfood, if there's such a thing, as my brain functioning goes up, feel more calm and sleep considerably deeper.

Thanks so much for this. I have some crown prince canned in olive oil but I didn’t like the smell. Baking them sounds like a great idea.

Beastmode

Thanks so much for this. I have some crown prince canned in olive oil but I didn’t like the smell. Baking them sounds like a great idea.

We drain the olive oil off it via a strainer first.

Another thing you might like is trying it with a cocktail sauce. I make a homemade one with horse radish, some organic ketchup and a pinch of worchestire. The sauce goes great with any white fishes, scallops, shrimp, etc. Also, having any of them over a white rice (if you can handle it well) is awesome mixed with the sauce :)

OP
M

marikay

We drain the olive oil off it via a strainer first.

Another thing you might like is trying it with a cocktail sauce. I make a homemade one with horse radish, some organic ketchup and a pinch of worchestire. The sauce goes great with any white fishes, scallops, shrimp, etc. Also, having any of them over a white rice (if you can handle it well) is awesome mixed with the sauce :)

All good ideas, and all doable for me as well. Thanks again.

YamnayaMommy

I’ve been getting the canned oysters in water and just pan sautéing them in coconut oil and butter. This is easy and appetizing enough for me, but my fifteen month old LOVES them. He gobbles them up, to the amusement of my two and four year olds. They will only eat oysters if they are hidden in tuna salad sandwiches (I am very proud of this discovery).

YamnayaMommy

Coconut oil OR butter, I should say.

sometimes I mush them on a piece of buttered sourdough with a squeeze of lemon, and this is legit delicious.

I’ve had a stomach ache when eating oysters until I started to chew them very, very carefully. They are so soft that you feel tempted to not chew properly and I think this is the source of my stomach problems. Several times I even thought I had a “bad” oyster (this was from eating raw oysters that I learned this). But since I’ve focused on really chewing carefully, all problems disappeared, whether cooked or raw oysters.

OP
M

marikay

I’ve been getting the canned oysters in water and just pan sautéing them in coconut oil and butter. This is easy and appetizing enough for me, but my fifteen month old LOVES them. He gobbles them up, to the amusement of my two and four year olds. They will only eat oysters if they are hidden in tuna salad sandwiches (I am very proud of this discovery).

Another great idea. Thanks!

OP
M

marikay

I’ve had a stomach ache when eating oysters until I started to chew them very, very carefully. They are so soft that you feel tempted to not chew properly and I think this is the source of my stomach problems. Several times I even thought I had a “bad” oyster (this was from eating raw oysters that I learned this). But since I’ve focused on really chewing carefully, all problems disappeared, whether cooked or raw oysters.

I have trouble with the texture, so at first I was putting the oysters through a blender before eating them. Then I just swallowed them whole in the stew. Both ways I had problems, but maybe if they are baked or fried I can chew them. Looking for forward to trying both. Thanks again.

jmojo

Maybe it's time to take a little break from them. I've noticed that when I become slightly repulsed by a food like oysters, it's my body telling me to stay away. Then after some time off from the food, I'll start to crave it again. Don't force things that repulse you.

OP
M

marikay

Maybe it's time to take a little break from them. I've noticed that when I become slightly repulsed by a food like oysters, it's my body telling me to stay away. Then after some time off from the food, I'll start to crave it again. Don't force things that repulse you.

I get what you’re saying, but I haven’t had an experience with the oysters that has been good to begin with. Thanks though.

Kray

Hello.

I am having trouble getting oysters into my diet. I’ve been using canned oysters (packed in water) and making oyster stew according to various recipes found here and on YouTube.

A couple of hours after eating the stew (I eat no more than six or seven oysters at one time) I experience waves of nausea and then a bout of dysentery. The problem goes away after a few hours and the next day I do feel more energetic so I think some of the oyster benefit is getting in.

Dow anyone have an idea of what I might be doing wrong with the oyster stew to cause this problem? Could it be that this is just my digestive system getting used to the oysters and it will go away eventually?

Also, what foods (or supplements) should I increase if I have to forego oysters altogether?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Came across this. Has anyone tried it or something similar?

Oyster Max®

Kray

Oyster Max® (not promoting brand, just came across this)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals