Oxtail Soup Ray Peat Style (3 Hours). Where’s The Gelatine?

Peato Diet

Last night I made oxtail soup (with the meat on the bone) letting it cook (190-200°F / 88-93°C) for only three hours in a slow cooker. I read that Ray once stated that cooking for more than 3 hours degrades the nutrients. The problem is, with this short cooking time there doesn’t seem to be a lot of (if any) gelatine content in the broth. I have made oxtail soup numerous times before however on those occasions I let it cook for 24 - 48 hours and when you cool the broth in the fridge it is like jelly which I assume indicates high gelatine content. However the batch I cooked last night for three hours is still of a watery consistency which I assume indicates low gelatine content.

The other option i believe is to use Great Lakes Gelatine. How do Great Lakes extract their gelatine? Wouldn’t they need to extend the application of heat for more than 3 hours in order to extract the gelatine?

How do you prepare your bone broth? Do you ignore Ray’s advice and extend the cooking time for higher gelatine content, or do you stick to 3 hours max for low (but higher quality?) gelatine content?

RealNeat

If you expect gelatin from a 3 hour cook time you better make sure you are using a pressure cooker like Instapot or else you gotta step it up to at least double that if not 7 or 8 hours. If you want to do less like 6 you might end up easily biting it off. But if you want the liquid to be full of gelatin you wanna hit the 8 hour mark.

B

Braveheart

Last night I made oxtail soup (with the meat on the bone) letting it cook (190-200°F / 88-93°C) for only three hours in a slow cooker. I read that Ray once stated that cooking for more than 3 hours degrades the nutrients. The problem is, with this short cooking time there doesn’t seem to be a lot of (if any) gelatine content in the broth. I have made oxtail soup numerous times before however on those occasions I let it cook for 24 - 48 hours and when you cool the broth in the fridge it is like jelly which I assume indicates high gelatine content. However the batch I cooked last night for three hours is still of a watery consistency which I assume indicates low gelatine content.

The other option i believe is to use Great Lakes Gelatine. How do Great Lakes extract their gelatine? Wouldn’t they need to extend the application of heat for more than 3 hours in order to extract the gelatine?

How do you prepare your bone broth? Do you ignore Ray’s advice and extend the cooking time for higher gelatine content, or do you stick to 3 hours max for low (but higher quality?) gelatine content?
For gelatin, you were right on this initially....ignore Peat on this.

boris

3 hours doesn't do it for me. But with 4-4 1/2 hours I get a very gelatinous broth.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals