Oxitocine

ste199

What is the function of oxitocine?is it related to sense of wellbeing and satisfaction?there are way to increase it release?Any peat quotes?

OP
ste199

ste199

Bump

Trust. Building attachments to lovers children pets etc. it overrides our natural suspicion of others. In men it helps erections.

Pointless

This thread will help you out.

Estrogen Potentiates The Effects Of Chronic Stress

"Oxytocin has association with other factors of stress and impaired metabolism. Oxytocin appears to stimulate multidrug resistance-associated protein 4, which is increased in certain cancers. It activates NF-κB (nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells), which has a role in inflammation and cancer."

"Some oxytocin cardiovascular activities such as lowering blood pressure, negative cardiac inotropy and chronotropy, parasympathetic neuromodulation, vasodilatation etc. can induce significant side effectsmimicking cardiac anaphylaxis"

""...evidence for anxiogenic actions of oxytocin in humans has recently emerged."

"OT[Oxytocin]-administered pigs received more aggressive interactions and performed more aggressive interactions in return, showed greater locomotion, spent less time in social contact, and had greater cortisol concentrations than control pigs."

I think that Ray Peat is highly suspicious of all pituitary hormones.

DaveFoster

hamster nailed it. It's that feeling you get with intimacy right before you go in for the kiss, if I'm not mistaken.

NathanK

Oxytocin, and vassopressin, play multiple roles in both genders and circumstances. Given that context I believe Ray is little ambivalent about them seeing that at times it can be a stress hormone and then at other times it can be beneficial. I think he touched on them in a newsletter maybe a year ago.

There were some studies on voles and those hormones that are pretty interesting reads. There's more than a few. I venture to believe there is a vole Sapolski out there studying love, trust, and bonding instead of stressful baboons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/opinion/sunday/infidelity-lurks-in-your-genes.html

OP
ste199

ste199

Thank you for your replies

Area-1255

tara

Oxitocin also plays a significant role around labour/giving birth.

Quality

hamster nailed it. It's that feeling you get with intimacy right before you go in for the kiss, if I'm not mistaken.
Its more than just oxytocin, more like a chemical soup, but oxytocin is definatly one of them, as is PEA, and most likely adrenalin and many others.