Oximeter Experiments

m_arch

So yesterday my cheapo eBay oximeter arrived - and I noticed the following ;

First reading I was 97 o2 and 65 bpm.
I hyperventilated ala wim hof. The reading stayed the same for 30 seconds then went to 99 o2 and my heart rate shot up to 110. Physically I felt dizzy as.

Then I tried a breathing technique - 5 seconds in, 5 seconds out, 10 seconds hold, repeat. This saw my o2 hit as low as 94 - but it felt physically uncomfortable. I also couldn't maintain it. I felt like breathing in the o2 went down and breathing out it went up. Perhaps this is my co2 releasing from the cells then the warburg effect kicking in making my o2 go up again. Only theories, it was confusing and made me want to get a capnometer. My pulse lowered back to 65 or so, I felt better than hyperventilating but uncomfortable in my throat and lungs. Tingling hands, feet and scalp.

Next experiment ; boiling hot bath. I went in warm water, it had no initial effect. So I turned on pure hot water to the point that I was pouring out sweat. My resting o2 sat at 98-97 but now in the hot bath it stabilised at 97-96. A small but obviously stable effect. My heart rate steadily rose to 140 until it got uncomfortable and I had to get out. A strange bath, I was smellier after than before I got in.

While talking my o2 sits at 98; observably higher than when I keep my mouth shut.

I also plan to test exercise while only nose breathing.

I'm also currently taking 400mg caffeine and plan to build up to 1200mg which will be interesting to see if my o2 at rest goes down.

NathanK

Ive written about some of my experiments before. It is fun to play with, but found many tests inconclusive.

Interesting ones (I was most interested in PaO2 readings):
Smoking had no effect I could tell outside of HR.
Holding breath and buteyko practice is interesting.
Applying MB to your finger gives it an immediate 99-100.
After various forms and intensity of movement
Drinking baking soda

Ive done everything I could think of. Ultimately, it's fun, but always gonna be incomplete. Really want to get a capnometer some day

OP
m_arch

m_arch

Ive written about some of my experiments before. It is fun to play with, but found many tests inconclusive.

Interesting ones (I was most interested in PaO2 readings):
Smoking had no effect I could tell outside of HR.
Holding breath and buteyko practice is interesting.
Applying MB to your finger gives it an immediate 99-100.
After various forms and intensity of movement
Drinking baking soda

Ive done everything I could think of. Ultimately, it's fun, but always gonna be incomplete. Really want to get a capnometer some day
I'm thinking of buying a second hand one off ebay. The problem is I live in Australia and only USA is selling them so half the price would be in postage lol.

I tried the MB thing on my finger too - but it didn't have any effect! Infact MB doesn't seem to do anything for me in general, I tried 30 drops at once before because Haidut said it produced a strong uncoupling effect in him and he started sweating... but nothing. Maybe the stage MB effects in cellular respiration is already working for me.

What effect did exercise and baking soda have for you?

NathanK

Exercise or any movement that requires the muscles needing more oxygen will always raise to 99 so its best just to play with it somewhat rested.

The MB experiment I stumbled upon after i had dipped a finger in the blue stuff. Locally i was reading 99 for a long time.

I recall baking soda raised my O2 quite a bit, but was very short lasting. The increase, for all i know, could have been from holding my breath for the 15 seconds to drink it. I was disappointed with that one.

You should try these for yourself and see

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals