Oxidative Respiration On Low Energy Activities

HighEnergyMed

Hello All,

I am fairly new to the work of Ray Peat and thus I hope this question is not obvious.

Looking at the bodily Energy Systems, I was told in University, that
Low Intensity Aerobic Acitvity (from 0-40% Intensity) are fueled predominantly by Fatty Acids.

If that is true, wouldn´t this interfere with Ray Peat stating that our body is using mitochondrial respiration when glucose and glycogen are available and only "switches" to fat metabolism once it is stressed, which has the negative side effects of adrenaline rise, insulin resistance, cortisol rise, low thyroid etc.)

I would appreciate your answer.

Thank you.

Best,
Michael

managing

Hello All,

I am fairly new to the work of Ray Peat and thus I hope this question is not obvious.

Low Intensity Aerobic Acitvity (from 0-40% Intensity) are fueled predominantly by Fatty Acids.

If that is true, wouldn´t this interfere with Ray Peat stating that our body is using mitochondrial respiration when glucose and glycogen are available and only "switches" to fat metabolism once it is stressed, which has the negative side effects of adrenaline rise, insulin resistance, cortisol rise, low thyroid etc.)

Thank you.

Best,
Michael
Would you have source on that claim? It seems counterintuitive in that light exercise shouldn't tap reserve energy but should use readily available resources.

lampofred

Hello All,

Thank you.

Best,
Michael

That's the because the majority of adults nowadays are chronically low metabolism. Stress causes the body to switch over to the slower fat-based metabolism to spare resources. Glucose oxidation needs a lot of good nutrition to sustain chronically in skeletal muscle (carbs, protein, low PUFA, etc.), so in unhealthy adults it's only turned when absolutely necessary, like in high intensity exercise.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello All,

Thank you.

Best,
Michael
There is always some level of fat burning going on. When you walk, you burn mostly fat. The more fat adapted you become, the more fat you can burn at higher intensities. The more carb adapted you are, the less fat you burn. This is all normal. You never get only glucose oxidation at all times.

lampofred

There is always some level of fat burning going on. When you walk, you burn mostly fat. The more fat adapted you become, the more fat you can burn at higher intensities. The more carb adapted you are, the less fat you burn. This is all normal. You never get only glucose oxidation at all times.

I thought Dr. Peat wrote that children are always predominantly oxidizing glucose. It's only as puberty progresses, with PUFA/iron buildup and loss of calcium stores, that the less essential tissues, like skeletal muscle, switch to burning fat at rest.

Lejeboca

Dr. Peat said that the only "safe" fat burning way is through your muscles, at a very low muscle activity, at rest or sleep.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I thought Dr. Peat wrote that children are always predominantly oxidizing glucose. It's only as puberty progresses, with PUFA/iron buildup and loss of calcium stores, that the less essential tissues, like skeletal muscle, switch to burning fat at rest.
There is always some level of glucose oxidation going on somewhere, but the muscles and heart oxidize fat at rest.
Children oxidize fat at a high rate actually. If someone cannot burn fat they'd be dead after a few hours of glucose deprivation.

Scenes

He said in a recent interview with jodellefit that muscles burn almost pure fat at rest. He was saying the best way to stay lean without trying is to have muscle.

Hans

Forum Supporter
He said in a recent interview with jodellefit that muscles burn almost pure fat at rest. He was saying the best way to stay lean without trying is to have muscle.
Only if someone doesn't overeat as well. There are many very muscular men that are very fat as well, because they eat too much.

Scenes

Only if someone doesn't overeat as well. There are many very muscular men that are very fat as well, because they eat too much.

True. Have muscle, don’t overeat, high calcium = lean without trying. I think that was the crux.