Oxidal - Liquid Redox Modulator

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
Haidut, do you know anyone who has taken high doses of 30mg?

That's 30 drops of oxidal, right?

I've taken 30mg+ before. Started getting headaches above 60mg daily, and even from 30mg if I eat some tyramine containing food.

sunmountain

Thanks, Haidut. I took a couple drops by mouth a few days ago and got a headache that lasted 5 days. I rarely get headaches. This one seemed to shift about depending I was upright or lying down.

Yesterday I had no headache and again took a couple drops by mouth. No headache, so I will try to increase today.

I also stopped eating large amount of farmer cheese around the same time, so wonder if the headache was due to reduction (hopefully) in ammonia buildup. My joint pain probably due to ammonia is gone, though muscle stiffness remains.

I looked up the oxidal label and realized one drop contains only 0.4 mg MB. Also contains equal parts caffeine and something else (sodium benzoate?). Any idea if 30mg is about one teaspoon? Also, would 30mg of benzoate be ok?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
Thanks, Haidut. I took a couple drops by mouth a few days ago and got a headache that lasted 5 days. I rarely get headaches. This one seemed to shift about depending I was upright or lying down.

Yesterday I had no headache and again took a couple drops by mouth. No headache, so I will try to increase today.

I also stopped eating large amount of farmer cheese around the same time, so wonder if the headache was due to reduction (hopefully) in ammonia buildup. My joint pain probably due to ammonia is gone, though muscle stiffness remains.

I looked up the oxidal label and realized one drop contains only 0.4 mg MB. Also contains equal parts caffeine and something else (sodium benzoate?). Any idea if 30mg is about one teaspoon? Also, would 30mg of benzoate be ok?

Aspirin metabolizes into benzoic acid so you should be OK. I would not use more than 15mg Oxidal daily. Most studies with MB show optimal beneficial effects on energy metabolism from 15mg daily. More than that increases serotonin and may have other unknown effects.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am back from vacation so the store is in full operation now.

G

gummybear

Why are the price of oxidal (and well other also) so high? The price for a lifetime supply (and well beyond) for methylene blue is 5$, why sell it for so high? Confusing to sell peaty products for such a high profit since peat is against the profit system.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
gummybear said:
Why are the price of oxidal (and well other also) so high? The price for a lifetime supply (and well beyond) for methylene blue is 5$, why sell it for so high? Confusing to sell peaty products for such a high profit since peat is against the profit system.

As I explained in another thread, the main factor in our cost is labor and since the people involved in producing the supplements are not cheap this is the price we have to sell to basically break eve. Not sure where you get your information of huge profit...
Peat's supplement Progest-E is also not cheap if you look only at the cost of the ingredients. You can get micronized progesterone in pills for a fraction of the cost of Progest-E and vitamin E is so cheap it's not even worth mentioning. So, as is often the case with custom products the cost of ingredients is not the major factor in determining price. As (and if) things grow we will automate more and more of the production and the price will drop. Keep in mind that this is not a Fortune 500 company but an outfit with 5 people working part time.

G

gummybear

haidut said:
gummybear said:

As I explained in another thread, the main factor in our cost is labor and since the people involved in producing the supplements are not cheap this is the price we have to sell to basically break eve. Not sure where you get your information of huge profit...
Peat's supplement Progest-E is also not cheap if you look only at the cost of the ingredients. You can get micronized progesterone in pills for a fraction of the cost of Progest-E and vitamin E is so cheap it's not even worth mentioning. So, as is often the case with custom products the cost of ingredients is not the major factor in determining price. As (and if) things grow we will automate more and more of the production and the price will drop. Keep in mind that this is not a Fortune 500 company but an outfit with 5 people working part time.

How do you know that peat sets the price of the progest e? Or that he is involved in any way in the production?

tara

gummybear said:
How do you know that peat sets the price of the progest e? Or that he is involved in any way in the production?
I'm fairly sure Peat has no financial interest in proget-e. He further distanced himself from the product in an interview after they changed the recipe from the one he recommended.

It makes sense to me that a lot of the cost of convenient supplements is in the labour of formulating, bottling, packing, etc. Economies of scale can favour the big outfits over small ones, too.

4peatssake

tara said:
gummybear said:
I'm fairly sure Peat has no financial interest in proget-e. He further distanced himself from the product in an interview after they changed the recipe from the one he recommended.
Can you tell me what interview it was tara?
I'd heard this before that Peat had distanced himself and the forumla was changed and I've also heard this wasn't true. Like you, I don't think he's involved directly but I just haven't seen it direct that he distanced himself. So if you can point to the interview this is in, I'd most appreciate it. :hattip

tara

4peatssake said:
tara said:
gummybear said:
I'd heard this before that Peat had distanced himself and the forumla was changed and I've also heard this wasn't true. Like you, I don't think he's involved directly but I just haven't seen it direct that he distanced himself. So if you can point to the interview this is in, I'd most appreciate it. :hattip

I can't remember which one, I'm afraid. I think it was one of the earlier ones I listened too or rea, and I have no system for recalling them. I'm reasonably confident that he said they changed formula to make it cheaper, but that makes it a little less effective. His patent is for 10% progesterone dissolved in vit-E. The current Kenogen Progest-e also has other oil in it, according to the bottle. I think it may be the same same amount of progest-e, but a bit less vit-E, but I'm not sure about that.
If I come across it again, I'll try to remember to post a link.

4peatssake

tara said:
4peatssake said:
tara said:
gummybear said:

I can't remember which one, I'm afraid. I think it was one of the earlier ones I listened too or rea, and I have no system for recalling them. I'm reasonably confident that he said they changed formula to make it cheaper, but that makes it a little less effective. His patent is for 10% progesterone dissolved in vit-E. The current Kenogen Progest-e also has other oil in it, according to the bottle. I think it may be the same same amount of progest-e, but a bit less vit-E, but I'm not sure about that.
If I come across it again, I'll try to remember to post a link.
Thanks tara! I'm happy to at least hear that you heard him say this as I've not come across this verification before so that is very helpful, thanks.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
gummybear said:
haidut said:
gummybear said:

I don't know for sure, but as holder of the patent he MAY be getting some royalties from the sales. Otherwise the companies making Protest-E would ask him to sign some sort of disclaimer that says he will ask for no money. Most solid companies producing a product based on patent will either pay royalties or ask for signed disclaimer to protect themselves form being sued. I don't know which is the case with Progest-E.

tara

haidut said:
I don't know for sure, but as holder of the patent he MAY be getting some royalties from the sales. Otherwise the companies making Protest-E would ask him to sign some sort of disclaimer that says he will ask for no money. Most solid companies producing a product based on patent will either pay royalties or ask for signed disclaimer to protect themselves form being sued. I don't know which is the case with Progest-E.
The patent is quite old. How long are they valid for?

4peatssake

tara said:
haidut said:
Did a quick search and found this.
http://www.uspto.gov/patent/laws-and-re ... calculator
Didn't have time now to investigate further but good point.

Sorry for thread jack haidut, will move this portion to new thread about Peat's patent asap.

Love your supps and prices are fine by me! :mrgreen:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
tara said:
Looks like 20 years.

Generally speaking, a patent will last 20 years from the date the application for the patent was filed with the United States. The patent will continue to run even in the event of the inventor's death, so long as the death occurs within the 20-year period. Patents may be adjusted or extended under certain circumstances, but this is very rare.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5075315_long- ... -last.html

Ray filed in 1984 so unless there was an extension it would be expired.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... PN/4439432

That said, would be awesome if haidut could get the formula from Ray and start making authentic progest-e again. You probably would have to double your team. :lol:

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Charlie said:
tara said:
Looks like 20 years.

Generally speaking, a patent will last 20 years from the date the application for the patent was filed with the United States. The patent will continue to run even in the event of the inventor's death, so long as the death occurs within the 20-year period. Patents may be adjusted or extended under certain circumstances, but this is very rare.

That said, would be awesome if haidut could get the formula from Ray and start making authentic progest-e again. You probably would have to double your team. :lol:

Good to know, thanks!
Actually, I am about to release a progesterone product but haven't finalized the solvents yet. One option is a mixture of DMSO and ethanol. The absorption is excellent topically and very good orally. I can add some vitamin E, which will improve the oral absorption and bioavailability but it probably won't be in the amounts Progest-E contains. There are actually many products on the market that use tocopherols as solvents and most studies show optimal absorption from using tocopherol in concentrations 0.001% - 0.05% by weight. If I add tocopherols it will probably be no more than 0.05% since the liquid will be fairly transparent and can be applied anywhere without fear of staining or being sticky. I think this is one drawback of Progest-E (just like my Energin) - it does cause staining and the spot remains sticky for several hours so it can't come in contact with clothes.

tara

haidut said:
Charlie said:
Looks like 20 years.

Good to know, thanks!
Actually, I am about to release a progesterone product but haven't finalized the solvents yet. One option is a mixture of DMSO and ethanol. The absorption is excellent topically and very good orally. I can add some vitamin E, which will improve the oral absorption and bioavailability but it probably won't be in the amounts Progest-E contains. There are actually many products on the market that use tocopherols as solvents and most studies show optimal absorption from using tocopherol in concentrations 0.001% - 0.05% by weight. If I add tocopherols it will probably be no more than 0.05% since the liquid will be fairly transparent and can be applied anywhere without fear of staining or being sticky. I think this is one drawback of Progest-E (just like my Energin) - it does cause staining and the spot remains sticky for several hours so it can't come in contact with clothes.

20 years - yes.
Peat's patent is available online if you search. It describes the process of dissolving in vit-e, in largish quantities.
I would personally be picking vit-e over DMSO from a safety point of view.

tara

Well, I remember finding and reading it a year or so ago, but having trouble finding it now.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tara said:
haidut said:
Charlie said:
Looks like 20 years.

Good to know, thanks!

20 years - yes.
Peat's patent is available online if you search. It describes the process of dissolving in vit-e, in largish quantities.
I would personally be picking vit-e over DMSO from a safety point of view.

May I ask what is the issue with DMSOs afety? There are several topical hormones available in Asian countries and they all have DMSO as a base. If you have a study on safety I would be very interested in reading it. I think Peat said he thinks it's OK but he doesn't know much about it so he is not using it yet.

tara

I don't claim any expertise about DMSO. My understanding of DMSO is that it makes it much easier for all sorts of substances to get absorbed through the skin and into tissues, whether those substances are supportive or toxic. That's where my safety concerns come from.

This is what I wrote in Jennifer's thread a while ago:

tara said:
My understanding from bits and pieces of web sufing is that DMSO makes it easier for all sorts of things to move around in the body. Sometimes this is great for healing. Sometimes it's great for reducing the amount of a drug needed to have a desired effect, while lowering the downsides. There are circumstances where it's not great - eg it's extra important to avoid any toxic substances while using it, including on the skin. I would consider it reasonable to use for recovering an injury, while being careful about exposures to negative substances. I'm not sure about safety long term. It's closely related chemically and in effects to MSM.

tara said:
Jennifer said:
I was just looking at the uses for DMSO and the first thing I thought of was my grandmother. She's been having a lot pain in her right shoulder and she can't remember if she did something to it or if it's possibly arthritis. She refuses to go to the doctor to get it checked out and has opted to put icy hot on it instead. I'm wondering if DMSO would be good for her to try. My only concern is when you say "there are circumstances where it's not great - eg it's extra important to avoid any toxic substances while using it." Exactly what kind of toxic substances? Like foods, beauty products and/or prescription meds?

I'm afraid I don't really know, but my impression was yes, cosmetics with dodgy ingredients - ie anything you wouldn't want to eat, because it will get through the skin more easily. Not sure if that only applies in or near the area of topical applcation, or systemically beyond that. Also, it may affect some medicines, possibly by making them more effective - ie less needed because the delivery into target tissues can be easier. But i wouldn't have a clue how to work out the details to keep it safe if there are important medications involved. It might be really helpful with only minor downsides, but I wouldn't be sure.

It might be a great medium for someone living and working in a clean environment and not exposed to drugs or herbs or toxic skin and hair care products etc that could cause problems. But I don't think all the people who could benefit from progest-e could be confident about that.
Do you think my concerns are excessive?