Dismiss Notice
  6. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Oxidal - Liquid Mix Of MB, Caffeine And Benzoic Acid

Discussion in 'IdeaLabs' started by haidut, May 8, 2015.

1. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

I was thinking about some stuff and decided to investigate the interactions between mb and gaba:

Methylene blue inhibits GABAA receptors by interaction with GABA binding site

I don't know how it would translate to humans but perhaps the negative effects seen in some people at 'low' doses can be explained by these properties as well. Of course it makes one wonder if an excess of gaba could be taken care of by mb.

2. Soren

Soren Member

Could this supplement cause twitching say from the Methylene Blue? Been supplementing 2 drops a day for about a month and had some twitching develop in my right hand. Didn't take it this morning and no twitching.

3. jb116

jb116 Member

Even stranger is that I use MB for sleep at times. Knocks me out and keeps me deep in it.

4. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

Haidut told me the dose used in the stusy is extremely high.

"The IC50 of MB in that study was 31uM. That would requite an oral dose of 100mg+ daily for several days, assuming 75% bioavailability. Hopefully, nobody on the forum is taking that much as the serotonin elevation would much more concerning than the GABA antagonism."

5. jb116

jb116 Member

Oh, yea! that's high. I usually do about 1-2mg for sleep.

6. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

It can, if it elevates serotonin. Twitching is a common sign of elevated serotonin. Just 2 drops should not be causing such effects but as @Wagner83 mentioned, apparently even lower doses can cause issues when combined with certain foods.

7. Soren

Soren Member

Thanks. I'm curious as to which foods that might be. Gave some MB to family member suffering with Parkinson's disease and she said that whilst on it she felt more jittery. I think a lot of PD stems from serotonin and gut issues that contribute to high levels of serotonin.

If i think back to when i started twitching it was only after the reintroduction of certain grains and a few days where I had PUFA from fries.

8. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Hopefully, @Wagner83 can chime in. I think he noticed it from quite a few foods. I personally only get it from aged cheeses or when drinking a lot of alcohol (which is itself serotonergic).

9. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

I simply checked the foods high in tyramine and it seemed to match. You goggle it you should find plenty of references. One drop at once may be too much and haidut suggested it does build up. Amazoniac thinks 100mcg every other day (three days?) is better. I think cheeses like quarck cheese were fine for me (didn't try cottage cheese). Not convinced by chocolate, bread etc..
    Despite @Travis' attempt at switching on a light in my brain with his post, I'm still not sure if high-serotonin foods would be bad as well or if it wouldn't be an issue.

10. rebuke

rebuke Member

@haidut is the MB in this product sourced from Sigma? Concerned about the purity.

11. nwo2012

nwo2012 Member

Do Sigma provide an impure product?

12. Soren

Soren Member

What would be the better substance to prevent serotonin increase from MB, metergoline or cyproheptadine?

13. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

No, it is not from Sigma. Btw, ours is USP-grade, so it should not have impurities. We also tested a batch some time ago using the same raw material which we bought in bulk and still use and there were no heavy metals or other toxic chemicals the lab tested for.

14. Aleeri

Aleeri Member

Question, anyone have experience to share on how MB affects their erections?

15. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

I would be interested to hear feedback too, but so far we have not have anybody complain of such issues. Btw, the MB dose used in the study was on the high end. They used 0.3mg/kg IV, which roughly corresponded to 3mg/kg oral dose. The HED of such a dose would be 0.5mg/kg, so to replicate this study one would need 35mg-50mg MB. That is a high dose and human studies for depression, psychosis, etc have typically used 15mg daily or less, and most people here tend to use around 1mg daily.

16. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

In my experience it makes them a bit harder and smaller.

17. ChineseinSweden

ChineseinSweden Member

What symptoms did you experience after using Oxidal too close to eating feta cheese? Did you use Oxidal orally? Did you eat a lot of feta cheese?

18. ChineseinSweden

ChineseinSweden Member

Does anyone know anything about using Oxidal/MB when on Ritalin? Right now I'm using Oxidal topically 2-3 drops per day, but I interested in trying it orally.