Oxidal - Liquid Redox Modulator

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
Hmm I'm getting about 20mcg of methylparahydroxybenzoate as an excipient with my methylene blue. I wonder if it has a similar effect.

Not sure, but possible. Most studies with benzoic acid as an uncoupler were done with sodium benzoate.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
ilovethesea said:
haidut said:
Dan Wich said:
You come up with cool supplements faster than I can take them.

It sounds like benzoic acid might actually help the body synthesize salicylic acid too:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2800778/ (stolen from this thread)

Thanks!
They are actually almost the same substance:): Some salycilates metabolize into benzoic acid and maybe this is the reason even 80mg of aspirin daily is enough for cancer prevention.

I have aspirin allergy that I haven't been able to overcome yet. Just 1 asprin gives me runny nose and sneezing for hours. Do you think that would mean I would be allergic to the benzoic acid also?

You can try taking some Ceylon cinnamon. It will metabolize into a type of benzoic acid so you will know within 15min.

Y

ypgogibk

good for hair loss/growth or not ?

or should I stick with solban for hair ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
ypgogibk said:
good for hair loss/growth or not ?

or should I stick with solban for hair ?

It's not really meant for hair loss, so I can't in good faith say to use it for that purposes. I don't know of any studies on MB and hair loss. It should not hurt though, improved oxygenation can only help hair follicles.

sunmountain

Thanks Haidut. Just for my informtion, what is the upper dose of MB for SIBO?

Not planning to take oxidal in those doses..just want to know for comparison.

Thanks

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
Thanks Haidut. Just for my informtion, what is the upper dose of MB for SIBO?

Not planning to take oxidal in those doses..just want to know for comparison.

Thanks

I think the quoted dose was 1mg/kg in humans.

tara

Dean said:
Are there any caveats or contraindications about taking this? Like, will this not work or potentially do more harm than good if not supplementing thyroid with it, or something along those lines? I'd like to think this is something I could kind of take a flyer on.

messtafarian said:
More:
Dr. Peat:

I am very interested in Methylene Blue, as are many people who follow your writing and radio broadcasts. I bought some but I was concerned about its effect on blood pressure since it seems to be a hypertensive agent; but while I was hesitating I also wondered about its effect on serotonin uptake. It's a reversible MAOI so should conserve serotonin as well as all other brain chemicals as I understand this sort of thing.

Do you think there is a special or less detrimental action from Methylene Blue on serotonin? Or do you think the benefits outweigh the risks?

From Dr. Peat:

I think the most important therapeutic effects are in the range of a tenth of a milligram to one milligram per day, and the doses that inhibit MAO are in the range of hundreds of milligrams. I don't recommend it for anything that can be corrected by diet, thyroid, aspirin, antihistamine, progesterone, etc.

I'm not suggesting to use or not use it, just adding in some of Peat's view on it.
I may consider trying it, but may dilute it to get lower doses.

Ingenol

How should this actually be taken? I don't worry so much about the skin staining with taking it topically, rather that much of it is going to wash off in the shower before it's actually been absorbed.

How does the oral absorption compare? I tried one drop in my mouth and managed to stain my tongue pretty convincingly, although it is gone several hours later.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ingenol said:
How should this actually be taken? I don't worry so much about the skin staining with taking it topically, rather that much of it is going to wash off in the shower before it's actually been absorbed.

How does the oral absorption compare? I tried one drop in my mouth and managed to stain my tongue pretty convincingly, although it is gone several hours later.

Peat has said that when he takes MB he does it topically. Absorption is pretty rapid and I don't think you'll be able to wash it off in the shower. It disappears on its own when it gets reduced by the body in the process of converting NADH back to NAD.

pyttsan

How come you recommend mcg doses of MB?

This study http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006295213007417 used 60 mg doses and refer to these as low.

Quote:
Whether a beneficial use of low-dose MB in aging populations may be generalized to treat MCI and early AD patients should be investigated. For example, a research group garnered a great deal of media attention after a 2008 Alzheimer’s Association international conference where they presented preliminary data using MB in a study showing that low-dose MB prevented cognitive deterioration in AD patients. Using the trade name of RemberTM, and the MB synonym methylthioninium chloride, MB was given orally at 60 mg three times a day (a low dose of 2.57 mg/kg/day based on a body weight of 70 kg) for 24 months to patients with mild to moderate AD [64]. There was an 81% reduction in the rate of cognitive decline compared to controls after 50 weeks. This is an effect that, if reproducible, would be without precedent in pharmacological interventions against AD. But data from this abstract and meeting presentation should be regarded as preliminary since it has not been published after a peer-reviewed process. The authors suggested that the cognitive benefit of MB on AD patients was linked to prevention of Tau aggregation, based on prior in vitro studies with high-dose MB [65]. Since MB improves cognition only at low doses, while it prevents while it prevents Tau aggregation only at high doses, it is more likely that low-dose MB is acting via mitochondrial respiration mechanisms for neuroprotection and cognitive enhancement, as proposed here (Fig. 1).

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
pyttsan said:
How come you recommend mcg doses of MB?

This study http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006295213007417 used 60 mg doses and refer to these as low.

Quote:
Whether a beneficial use of low-dose MB in aging populations may be generalized to treat MCI and early AD patients should be investigated. For example, a research group garnered a great deal of media attention after a 2008 Alzheimer’s Association international conference where they presented preliminary data using MB in a study showing that low-dose MB prevented cognitive deterioration in AD patients. Using the trade name of RemberTM, and the MB synonym methylthioninium chloride, MB was given orally at 60 mg three times a day (a low dose of 2.57 mg/kg/day based on a body weight of 70 kg) for 24 months to patients with mild to moderate AD [64]. There was an 81% reduction in the rate of cognitive decline compared to controls after 50 weeks. This is an effect that, if reproducible, would be without precedent in pharmacological interventions against AD. But data from this abstract and meeting presentation should be regarded as preliminary since it has not been published after a peer-reviewed process. The authors suggested that the cognitive benefit of MB on AD patients was linked to prevention of Tau aggregation, based on prior in vitro studies with high-dose MB [65]. Since MB improves cognition only at low doses, while it prevents while it prevents Tau aggregation only at high doses, it is more likely that low-dose MB is acting via mitochondrial respiration mechanisms for neuroprotection and cognitive enhancement, as proposed here (Fig. 1).

I don't recommend anything really. I am not a doctor, so people should always consult with their doctor on doses.
However, if you look at all the threads on this forum about MB and the studies on PubMed, you will see that MB has therapeutic benefit at very low doses (~60mcg). In higher doses it inhibits the MAO-A enzyme and as such can lead to serotonin toxicities in some people. The higher doses are used clinically for people with serious conditions like Alzheimer's and suicidal depression. Actually, the depression treatment used "only" 15mg a day for 2 weeks. So, unless a person has Alzheimer's I don't see a reason for very high doses.
I suggest you search around the forum for "methylene blue" and read all the threads. There is a lot of discussion about doses, why low vs. high, etc.

pyttsan

haidut said:
I don't recommend anything really. I am not a doctor, so people should always consult with their doctor on doses.
However, if you look at all the threads on this forum about MB and the studies on PubMed, you will see that MB has therapeutic benefit at very low doses (~60mcg). In higher doses it inhibits the MAO-A enzyme and as such can lead to serotonin toxicities in some people. The higher doses are used clinically for people with serious conditions like Alzheimer's and suicidal depression. Actually, the depression treatment used "only" 15mg a day for 2 weeks. So, unless a person has Alzheimer's I don't see a reason for very high doses.
I suggest you search around the forum for "methylene blue" and read all the threads. There is a lot of discussion about doses, why low vs. high, etc.

I see.
Yeah, MAO-A inhibition is probably not a good thing. Do you know at what dose MB starts to inhibit MAO-A?
I tried MB and never noticed anything from lower doses unfortunately.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
pyttsan said:
haidut said:

I see.
Yeah, MAO-A inhibition is probably not a good thing. Do you know at what dose MB starts to inhibit MAO-A?
I tried MB and never noticed anything from lower doses unfortunately.

There are some studies showing inhibition from a few hundred nanomols. That means MB more than a few milligrams per dose will probably start to inhibit MAO-A but in all likelihood only people taking SSRI drugs or other serotonergic agents will have dangerous additive effects. So, a dose of at most 5mg is probably safe in terms of MAO inhibition. The depression study in humans used 5mg three times a day and I think they did not see any rise in plasma serotonin even though that does not mean much for brain levels.
Also, keep in mind that half life of MB in the brain has been shown to be on the order of 30 hours, so much much longer than the 5 hour half life in plasma. So, taking MB repeatedly during the day for a few days may reach brain concentrations much higher than what is ever achieved in plasma.

Ddixon3

Hi Haidut,

I received my Oxidal today. I know you're not in the business of giving directions for us and encourage self experimentation. I am going to take 1 drop and assess tolerance, but I am wondering how often I should do so. every day? once a week? The staining is a bit of an inconvenience so I am trying to figure out how best to get around that. Thank you for any insight.

I notice a sense of calm and well being and deeper respiration. Good stuff!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ddixon3 said:
Hi Haidut,

I received my Oxidal today. I know you're not in the business of giving directions for us and encourage self experimentation. I am going to take 1 drop and assess tolerance, but I am wondering how often I should do so. every day? once a week? The staining is a bit of an inconvenience so I am trying to figure out how best to get around that. Thank you for any insight.

I notice a sense of calm and well being and deeper respiration. Good stuff!

Peat said that the optimal effects of MB on mitochondria are from ~1mg doses. This means about 2 drops of Oxidal. Many people take 2 drops before bed to help keep metabolism going through the night. Topical use can be anywhere on a skin and it should not stain once on it has stayed on the skin for about 30sec. The stain should disappear on its own when the MB gets reduced by the local tissues, so no need to wash it off.

sunmountain

I have been applying 1-2 drops Oxidal on my stomach every morning after showering for about a week or less since I received it.

I have noticed that my fatigue is getting better. Much better.

Can Oxidal have an impact on fatigue and improve energy?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
I have been applying 1-2 drops Oxidal on my stomach every morning after showering for about a week or less since I received it.

I have noticed that my fatigue is getting better. Much better.

Can Oxidal have an impact on fatigue and improve energy?

Sure, that would be its primary expected effect I'd say - reduce fatigue and improve energy. I should have some nootropic effects as well. In the doses of ~1mg daily it should stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis and increase oxygen consumption within a week. Most people see pronounced benefits after 2 weeks of usage.

Dean

I just tried my first dose of Oxidal this morning. I noticed a few minutes shortly after application what seemed to be an increase in body temperature that only lasted for a few minutes. I only took one drop, or what I estimate as one drop.

How long should I stay with the one drop dose or can I titrate up, say an extra drop a day, until I notice something tangible and sustained, good or bad?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dean said:
I just tried my first dose of Oxidal this morning. I noticed a few minutes shortly after application what seemed to be an increase in body temperature that only lasted for a few minutes. I only took one drop, or what I estimate as one drop.

How long should I stay with the one drop dose or can I titrate up, say an extra drop a day, until I notice something tangible and sustained, good or bad?

The human studies claim optimal effects from 15mg MB split into 3 equal doses of 5mg each. However, in such doses MB may inhibit MAO-A and thus increase serotonin. So, you can increase the doses one drop at a time and if you start developing symptoms of serotonin toxicity then back down. The symptoms very but can include fever, anxiety, headache, etc. I personally react best to 10mg split into 2 equal doses of 5mg each. More than that gives me better oxygenation but also I start getting very annoying headaches.
There is a separate thread on the forum about MB which you can browse for more info.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5344