Oxalate Found In Thyroid In 79% Of Adults

Xisca

I stored the quote without reference to where it comes from, I just paste it here fyi...

Thyroid conditions

If levels of oxalates in the body become high, the natural response of the body is to try to store some away in different organs. The thyroid is one where the oxalates are stored. In fact, a study of thyroid autopsies showed that oxalate crystals were found in the thyroids of 79% of adults. The older the patient, the more concentrated the crystals were in the thyroid. As the crystals grow in the thyroid they begin to cause a malfunction and ultimately lead to hypothyroidism.

Dave Clark

Not posting this as a pro-high does iodine post, but just to show if you go down to the end of the article that the only problem they saw in the subjects tested were people that had oxalate problems. The article didn't say, but it was probably crystals in their thyroid: Is Iodine Safe for Hashimoto’s Patients?

Lollipop2

...that oxalate crystals were found in the thyroids of 79% of adults. The older the patient, the more concentrated the crystals were in the thyroid. As the crystals grow in the thyroid they begin to cause a malfunction and ultimately lead to hypothyroidism.

This is telling. Surprised the understanding of oxalates is not well known by medical doctors.

OP
Xisca

Xisca

This is telling. Surprised the understanding of oxalates is not well known by medical doctors.

Collden (2019a).

By the way, hi, Xisca. Good to find you around.

Hi there!

Yes science is a generation ahead of medicine! The truth is medicine is behind...

And thanks Dave for the link! I send it to somebody with hashimoto!

Momentum

I stored the quote without reference to where it comes from, I just paste it here fyi...

Thyroid conditions

If levels of oxalates in the body become high, the natural response of the body is to try to store some away in different organs. The thyroid is one where the oxalates are stored. In fact, a study of thyroid autopsies showed that oxalate crystals were found in the thyroids of 79% of adults. The older the patient, the more concentrated the crystals were in the thyroid. As the crystals grow in the thyroid they begin to cause a malfunction and ultimately lead to hypothyroidism.
Well, this explains part of it!!!
I have megadosed iodine for over 10 years and reversed my Hashi's and eventually went off cytomel (couldn't tolerate the "naturals"). The last few months, I've had to add the cytomel back in but it hasn't helped much.
1. I have been a tiny sloppy in regards to my iodine intake
2. I dramatically increased my oxalates (just learned about how damaging they are) which probably challenged my thyroid more
3. But when I added high dose B1 10 days ago, my thyroid seems to have kicked back in. Now with cutting out oxalates, and taking Lugol's (and selenium) I expect my thyroid to quickly recover.

So, iodine not only fuels your thyroid, but IIRC it takes up the same transponder/transporter/transfer mechanism (?) as oxalate. So I think I was really protecting myself from oxalate damage with the iodine.

Interesting note: skin cannot sweat without iodine

Here are two more articles talking about the iodine/Hashi's myth that endocrimologist still subscribe to:
The Wolff-Chaikoff Effect: Crying Wolf?, Abraham, G.E.
Iodine - what is the correct daily dose? - DoctorMyhill

OP
Xisca

Xisca

So, iodine not only fuels your thyroid, but IIRC it takes up the same transponder/transporter/transfer mechanism (?) as oxalate. So I think I was really protecting myself from oxalate damage with the iodine.
I did not follow how you concluded that iodine is protective against oxalate!