Overmethylation - A Day Of Horror - Need Help!

youngsinatra

Hello everyone,

The last days I tried a methylfolate supplement from pure encapsulations, because I've read about the potential beneficial effects on mood.

I took 400mcg before a meal. Quickly afterwards I felt very weird. Felt anxious, paranoid, horrible irritable and couldn't concentrate on anything. Felt like I was going insane.
All I wanted to do is lay in my dark bedroom until the horror is over. I tried to eat more, and drank a lot of OJ and consumed additional salt to fix any potential hypoglycemia - but nothing helped.

Then I started reading about side effects from methylfolate online. I read that Dr. Lynch recommended 50mg of niacin for fixing overmethylation problems. I only had niacinamide at home and decided to take 500mg with a meal. I just wanted this experience to end. The anxiety and everything quickly disappeared afterwards.

Now I am still recovering from that stress.

What does this experience could tell me about my physiology? Do I have potential overmethylation?
In the past I always felt very weird when I took a B-complex.

Would love to hear someones opinion / advice / tips.

- Simon

Nicole W.

Hello everyone,

The last days I tried a methylfolate supplement from pure encapsulations, because I've read about the potential beneficial effects on mood.

I took 400mcg before a meal. Quickly afterwards I felt very weird. Felt anxious, paranoid, horrible irritable and couldn't concentrate on anything. Felt like I was going insane.
All I wanted to do is lay in my dark bedroom until the horror is over. I tried to eat more, and drank a lot of OJ and consumed additional salt to fix any potential hypoglycemia - but nothing helped.

Then I started reading about side effects from methylfolate online. I read that Dr. Lynch recommended 50mg of niacin for fixing overmethylation problems. I only had niacinamide at home and decided to take 500mg with a meal. I just wanted this experience to end. The anxiety and everything quickly disappeared afterwards.

Now I am still recovering from that stress.

What does this experience could tell me about my physiology? Do I have potential overmethylation?
In the past I always felt very weird when I took a B-complex.

Would love to hear someones opinion / advice / tips.

- Simon
I went down that path as well without good effect. I was tested for MTHFR and was told I had the homozygous variant indicating I was an extremely low methylator. Apparently, the worst.

In the end. all the supplements made me feel horrible. I too struggle with b vitamins in general. I take very low doses of Energin and that seems to be fine. Half the world has this supposed MTHFR “condition”, so my feeling is that it’s probably no big deal for most people.

I also have a feeling the naturopathic community, in particular, capitalized on this by exaggerating the consequences of this gene variation. In reality, it’s probably nothing for most people.

Jae

I also have issues with folate and maybe also with B12. I stopped taking them since I found out they give me insomnia. My MTHFR says I'm undermethylated.

In his book Nutrient Power, Dr. Walsh says that undermethylated people do worse on folate, which is puzzling because folate is supposed to increase methylation. My understanding of his solution has to do with the methyl/folate ratio. An undermethylated person already has too much folate and too little methyl supply. He recommends "non-folate methylating supplements", like TMG and B6.

His idea makes sense to me when I experimented with niacin for a few days. It sank my mood considerably. Niacin (and I think also niacinamide) uses up methyl groups, which is not good for undermethylated people.
Christ MasterJohn recommends that if you take niacin, you need to balance it out with TMG in a one to one ratio.

GenericName86

Chris Masterjohn did a video on this, don't know what other people think of it but saw this thread and it reminded me of it.

Nicole W.

MTHFR seems faddish. Perhaps there is nothing good about methylation for most people?
Exactly. It’s a way for alternative doctors to make money on unnecessary supplements to treat a condition that isn’t really a condition. This was my personal conclusion. Also, I have none of the reportedly severe consequences of this gene variation that is supposedly so bad. If anything, there‘s more to the story than we are being told.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I haven‘t had problems with TMG, glycine or other stuff in the past. B12 also didn‘t cause problems for me. Just isolated methylfolate ***** me up like crazy.

I get 1-2x the RDA of folate through whole foods so I will just drop the folate supplementation.

Missenger

Methyl vitamins can increase adrenaline. Food tends to be the safer thing for keeping up with the folate/b12/choline pathways. No need to take chances mutating something inside of you for the worse.

Last edited:

Razvan

Meyhylfolate releases adrenaline in the brain by bypassing histamine, i don't believe in undermethylation and overmethylation.
Don't take this stuff.
Maybe take 200 mg niacinamide + 1g inosine and you will eliminate the extra adrenaline and stress.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I do tolerate niacinamide well, up to 2-3 grams. Currently not doing that.
I normally did take TMG with it in a 1:1 ratio, without any issues.

Z

Zsazsa

To see how badly one is affected by MTHFR SNPs just measure B12, folate and Hcy in blood labs
My 1st Hcy lab about 8 years ago was 11.8, the latest one 6.8. The highest I have seen was 13.8.
I am homozygous for one of the SNPs, my husband is heterozygous for 2 SNPs and usually his labs are worse than mine.