Overly Sensitive To T3/t4 - First Dose 1 Mcg

newdp

Looking for some much appreciated advice -

In an effort to correct some DePersonalization I have found out I have low test / high TSH.

Today I took my first first dose of 1 mcg t3, 4 mcg t4 - within 30 minutes my face / ears were hot, anxiety was present, blood pressure high, pulse fairly static at 80 - I noticed the left side of my neck is really hot and the visual acuity in my left eye is odd.

My question is : How one earth can I react so adversely to a toddler sized dose of t3/t4?

It hasn't impacted by DePersonalization that much - as in, its not much worse, so I suppose that's encouraging - but I definitely wouldnt describe how I'm feeling as good, its extremely distracting and hard to focus.

Any opinions are appreciated.

OP
N

newdp

Update : its been 13 hours since my initial dose, my ears are blood red, neck and face feel super hot, anxiety present - how is it possible I could experience this off such a small dose?

tara

I don't know why you personally reacted the way you did; I'm not a medical expert; I'm not offering medical advice.

But what I've read is that a healthy thyroid typically produces about 3-4mcg/hr, and that it has a fairly short half life - a few hours. So 1mcg would be an appreciable proportion of an hour's supply - not necessarily trivial. Seems like a sensible way to start.
I think I've also read that when supplementing thyroid in low thyroid states one can be extra sensitive adrenaline. This may stabilise when the body adjusts.
Increase in thyroid can mean increased uptake of Mg into muscles. Sometimes supplementing a little Mg along with the thyroid can be relevant.

OP
N

newdp

I don't know why you personally reacted the way you did; I'm not a medical expert; I'm not offering medical advice.

But what I've read is that a healthy thyroid typically produces about 3-4mcg/hr, and that it has a fairly short half life - a few hours. So 1mcg would be an appreciable proportion of an hour's supply - not necessarily trivial. Seems like a sensible way to start.
I think I've also read that when supplementing thyroid in low thyroid states one can be extra sensitive adrenaline. This may stabilise when the body adjusts.
Increase in thyroid can mean increased uptake of Mg into muscles. Sometimes supplementing a little Mg along with the thyroid can be relevant.

Thanks for the reply - I was taking Magnesium Taurate alongside the t3/t4. I can only assume that the t3 has worn off by now and perhaps I am reacting this way to the t4 specifically?

tara

I just scanned over your other thread.
Have you spelled out what your diet is like anywhere? Nourishment is basic - you probably may not be able to improve hormones without considering it.

OP
N

newdp

I just scanned over your other thread.
Have you spelled out what your diet is like anywhere? Nourishment is basic - you probably may not be able to improve hormones without considering it.
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 9.22.43 PM.png

tara

Is this typical?
At a quick scan, it looks like a low calorie diet, and like you don't get much carbs till dinner time.
You can take a look at the nutrient totals and see if there might be specific areas of deficiency to fill.
If you've been eating at significant energy deficiency for awhile, that can have a number of negative effects, including on thyroid function.
If this is the case, there are different views on how best to ramp up.

Have you tried eating a bit more carbs with your protein at breakfast and lunch?

OP
N

newdp

Is this typical?
At a quick scan, it looks like a low calorie diet, and like you don't get much carbs till dinner time.
You can take a look at the nutrient totals and see if there might be specific areas of deficiency to fill.
If you've been eating at significant energy deficiency for awhile, that can have a number of negative effects, including on thyroid function.
If this is the case, there are different views on how best to ramp up.

Have you tried eating a bit more carbs with your protein at breakfast and lunch?

Yeah - they're just out of order, , and its like 2100 calories - every macro / micro / mineral is maxed out - still looking for answers as to why im reacting to poorly to such a small dose of thyroid : /

tara

I can't say what exactly is going on in your system.

Thyroid drives energy production.
If you try to drive up metabolism without fueling it, it can create more stress.
If there is insufficient fuel, then the system has to deal with the shortfall. One mechanism can be stress hormones rising to make more glucose available.

managing

I think @tara is on the right track. Perhaps try it again. But this time have a fairly high amount of sugar ~15 minutes beforehand. Maybe 500-600 calories, w/o caffeine.

HUF

+1 to @tara and @managing I had to increase to 4500 cals a day until I slept better. I also had to drop all supps for a time as it caused stressed. Ray is big on diet firstafirst hardly uses any supplements these days. Nowadays i i eat 2500 to 3k cals sleep well and have good metabolic metrics. You need to play around with carb / protein ratios to find what suits you and drop caffeine if you feel stressed Ray told me decaf is fine for minerals etc