Overeating

peteybee

I'm finding that it's really easy for me to go overboard and overeat on this diet.
Usually it's the fruit that sets me off.
I'm trying to watch my calories, but I'm not having much luck with it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

gretchen

I wish I had an answer. Some days I eat quite a bit, others I stick to 3 meals carefully portioned out. Fruit seems to work better for me if paired with protein.

jaa

I had issues with this when I first started the diet as well. I was used to eating 2-3 big meals / day without snacking, so switching to 6 meals a day threw off my portion sizing. And I still struggle with overeating a bit when I go out to eat with other people. The biggest things for me were to stop smothering everything in fat like I used to do on paleo, and not to go too crazy with the ice cream (only a few bites/night). Eventually I learned how big my portions needed to be to stop gaining weight and since then I've just about returned to my pre-peat weight. Now, if I eat more than my weight maintaining portions, I feel a bit ill, so my appetite can guide me to proper portioning.

cliff

It's really easy to overeat just by how much you fill up your cups/plates etc. I find measuring the portions(like 1 cup oj, 1 cup milk) and eating very frequently works best

Jenn

We use our fist as a guide for portion size.

Lack of minerals in the food we are eating can cause cravings. If the fruit is not picked fresh from your garden, it probably is lacking in sugar and potassium as it was picked less than ripe for shipping purposes. Try adding some liquid mineral, sugar, cream of tartar (potassium) to the fruit and see if that helps with satisfaction.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jenn, what kind of cream of tartar do you use? I have been thinking lately that I might need some more potassium.

Jenn

Cream of tartar is cream of tartar. You can buy it buy the oz at the grocery store spice aisle or get it by the lb. We used to go through a LOT (4-5 TBS in the course of a day), but we've slowed down now that we are catching up. Now, I mostly just bake with it for homemade baking powder. I still add it to recipes that also use sugar, except coffee. Whatever you do, don't put it in your coffee. Yeah....trust me, it's nasty.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks Jenn. I have never bought it so didn't even know where to look for it. I will check it out when I head to the store today.