Overbite, Pectus Excavatum, and Myopia

Blinkyrocket

Hi, I'm new here, I have all of these conditions :S I'm currently doing stretches for my Pectus Excavatum but wonder if it has anything to do with nutrition also? Same goes for overbite, my lower jaw is pretty small. And for Myopia I'm doing plus-lens therapy which is said to work pretty well, one person even got 20/15 vision from 20/40 with this method, but, I wonder about nutrition in this as well. I don't see this talked about much other than it being genetic, all of these are very annoying haha I have gotten into a habit of actively pushing my jaw forward to not look so weird for a few years now. And the sunken chest can make me look fat when it's really just my ribs sticking out :S

Thanks, Blinky

tara

:welcome Blinkyrocket
As a complete non-expert, I don't know whether diet etc can encourage improvements in geometry of pectus excavatum or overbite or myopia. I have an overbite too, and a narrow upper palate.
I do think that a diet that supports general health and well being is worth trying for. If there is a way to change those conditions, I would expect good nutrition and CO2 levels to improve the odds along with whatever other tactics may help. Providing the material and energy for remodelling would seem like at less a necessary precondition. And if it doesn't reverse the conditions, maybe it can at least slow/prevent their worsening and mitigate any other negative effects of them.

Have you got an idea about how your general metabolism is? Body temps/pulse/thyroid lab test results?
What is your diet like?
How's your breathing?

Does the pectus excavatum interfere with the function of your lungs and/or heart?

There's some discussion here that you might find relevant about orthodontics etc:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4353&p=52420

nikotrope

I have (small) myopia and my right eye got better since I've started eating following RP guidelines. Maybe it's the vitamin A or maybe just an overall better health. I'm 29 so it's not like people in their 40s with improved myopia through worse presbyopia.

High doses of vitamin k2 can improve the jaw and teeth alignment, I have seen that somewhere in the forum. But it takes time.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

I remember only a few things about a blood test I had done which was a TSH of 0.6 and a CO2 level that was higher than the test parameters (so it was labeled as "too" high) and having 250 total cholesterol and 89 of that being HDL but I think Ray peat says somewhere that having a lot of HDL might be bad even though it's the good cholesterol? My heart rate fluctuates from sometimes below 60 all the way to 90, I feel the worst when it's low.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

But the CO2 level was high in the serum blood if that makes a difference.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

I actually have no idea whether my lung or heart function is impaired but, I can always feel my heart beat in my chest, it would feel weird for me not to be able to feel it :O

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

And thanks nikotrope, I'm taking aspirin, and even though I don't experience bruising or nose bleeds is better take some k2 anyway just to see if it works.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

Ah, my diet is more or less peaty, 4 cups of milk, usually the same amount of Orange juice, some cinnamon toast, a few potatoes, some days I'll have some eggs, some beef and shrimp everyday (with gelatin), a quart of ice cream. I also pour honey over almost everthing I eat :D and I'm trying to gain weight so I do what I can to get upwards of 4000 calories

mujuro

Forum Supporter
I thought the claims about the K2 were pretty far fetched. That was before I took it myself. When I began taking Thorne K2, my jaw would ache for hours. I assumed it was stress, or noctural bruxism. It would ache especially at bed time. I also noticed over time that my dental occlusion shifted further backwards. Before, more pressure would be delivered towards the front of my teeth - my lower incisors would sit firmly against my upper incisors and the bicuspids and first molars bore a lot of pressure. Now, my teeth sit together in a way that feels "flatter", if that makes any sense. All of my molars contact nicely, with a bit of contact happening between the bicuspids, but by far the most pressure is being delivered to my first and second molars. I have a stronger bite now and my masseters have grown, giving my jaw a more squared look.

nikotrope

mujuro said:
I thought the claims about the K2 were pretty far fetched. That was before I took it myself. When I began taking Thorne K2, my jaw would ache for hours. I assumed it was stress, or noctural bruxism. It would ache especially at bed time. I also noticed over time that my dental occlusion shifted further backwards. Before, more pressure would be delivered towards the front of my teeth - my lower incisors would sit firmly against my upper incisors and the bicuspids and first molars bore a lot of pressure. Now, my teeth sit together in a way that feels "flatter", if that makes any sense. All of my molars contact nicely, with a bit of contact happening between the bicuspids, but by far the most pressure is being delivered to my first and second molars. I have a stronger bite now and my masseters have grown, giving my jaw a more squared look.

How much K2 did you take each day? And how long did it take to how your teeth are now?

mujuro

Forum Supporter
I've been taking it for about 2 months now, 5mg per day for about the first month, then 10mg. The dosages were arbitrary, I just wanted to start low. My sister in law was over on the 26th and commented on how white they are, despite my heavy coffee consumption and sugar intake. I started to notice the jaw aching about 1 month in.

nikotrope

2 months, that's fast! topically or orally?

My wife has crowded teeth and I convinced her to start taking K2, right now she takes 1-2mg per day I wanted to take it slow but I am increasing the dose every few days. I will see how it goes.

In my case I have Temporomandibular Joint Disfunction, my jaw is clicking on the left so I can't open my mouth widely and my teeth don't contact either (except one or two). I have been taken K2 on and off so I'll be more strict with the dosage to see if it improves something.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Orally. I drop it on my tongue and then spread it around the mouth, while trying to avoid swallowing as much as possible.

I guess 2 months is quite fast, but these changes are definitely not in my head. I come from a bodybuilding background, and I'm very in-tune with my physicality, being acutely aware of any minor changes. Muscle tone is something I usually monitor throughout the day because it informs me on my electrolyte status, energy, and hydration. It was the increased contractile capacity and strength of my masseter which I first noticed. After that I began to realize I couldn't clench down my teeth down into the usual occlusion profile - it was like I had slept on my face and moved the jaw out of alignment somehow.

I should mention that my teeth were never crowded or crooked. I was lucky enough to develop "braces quality" teeth naturally.

nikotrope

I see. Yes my teeth are also naturally "braces quality" but my jaw is not perfect! Thanks for sharing.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

Very nice mujuro, u say that your dental occlusion rested farther back? So, did u have an underbite or am I misunderstanding :P

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Blinkyrocket said:
Very nice mujuro, u say that your dental occlusion rested farther back? So, did u have an underbite or am I misunderstanding :P

Externally nothing looked out of place, there was no visible overbite or underbite, but when clenching my teeth I could feel an absence of contact between my second molars. That's changed now - I have solid, strong contact between all of my molars, a stronger bite, and lesser (but still present) contact everywhere else.

I have a little bit of these as well. I think stuff like what they call Marfan and Ehler-Danlos can exist in a weak version in many people, just as a trait from stress.

koganmj

mujuro said:
I've been taking it for about 2 months now, 5mg per day for about the first month, then 10mg. The dosages were arbitrary, I just wanted to start low. My sister in law was over on the 26th and commented on how white they are, despite my heavy coffee consumption and sugar intake. I started to notice the jaw aching about 1 month in.

Do you take it in one dose or spread out over the course of the day? And with fat/meal or doesn't matter?

mujuro

Forum Supporter
koganmj said:
Do you take it in one dose or spread out over the course of the day? And with fat/meal or doesn't matter?

I don't have any information on how fats or meals affect the absorption. I would think that being fat soluble, fats would improve absorption. I usually take it in a single dose. I don't think the details are very significant, as long as you're getting your K2 each day.

Here's the thread which vindicated my borderline paranoia. http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4188&hilit=k2+wider+face

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals