Over 3 Months In

Peata

Hello! :imnewhere :wavingyellow

I wanted to give this woe some time before I joined the forum and talked about results.

What's your age?

How long have you been Peating?

Just over 3 months.

What is your favorite part about Peating?

My way of Peating is perhaps looser than some, but I find it simple and nourishing. It's helping me with my issues, results I can see and feel.

What is the worst part?

Three things that I can think of:

At first, I would get hypoglycemic episodes as my body adjusted to using sugar. These were scary and uncomfortable, but after a week or two, I adjusted and haven't had any problems (unless I just plain go hours without solid food, but that would happen anyway.)

Also, eating this way required a huge leap of faith for me, since a lot of it went against what I'd learned my whole life about health and nutrition (for example, conventional wisdom says avoid sugar and salt but eat lots of veggies). To be honest, I was scared at first eating the Peat way, and wondered if I was really going to hurt myself. But I just came back with, "**** it, I've followed just about every so-called healthy woe out there trying to help myself. Some were OK, at least short-term. But there has to be something I'm missing. I'm just gonna go for it - give it a really good try. I can always stop if I want to."

And last, it's been easy for me to overdo the calories. I don't think this is a Peat thing though, especially since I've switched to lower calorie dairy products and cut back on the milkshakes. I track everything in Cronometer, and if I keep it under 2,000 calories I tend to start losing, but I find it hard to get on the weight-loss bandwagon and be strict with calories. I keep going between 2,000 and 2,700 calories most days. I am not gaining out of control or anything - I just keep bouncing up and down between the same 3 or 4 pounds. I would like to lose 5 - 10 pounds, and it's my fault for not being more strict with the calories. :roll: I guess when I want to lose weight, I'll put effort into it. I haven't been too concerned about it since I'm not gaining uncontrollably or anything. Just concentrating on healing.

What are your health issues?

It's really too long of a story, but symptoms and organ issues - some even that "shouldn't have anything to do with hormones" would get worse at certain times in my cycle, and I just knew there was a hormone connection. I read and realized I was estrogen dominant. I think that's where I started reading Ray Peat. I began using a progesterone cream and had good results right away, though it didn't magically cure everything. But enough that I started reading more of Ray Peat and decided to go for the woe - at least what I understood of it and could incorporate in my life without bogging myself down in food issues.

There were also health issues like PCOS, acne, poor skin condition (what seemed like premature aging), mood and anxiety problems. More stuff, but that gives you the idea. Also over the last few years, gallbladder issues. Some of these I knew were hormone problems, but I just didn't see the big picture - how they all fit together.

Over the years, I've done different diets and variations, such as low fat, vegetarian, vegan, low-carb, intermittent fasting, mostly raw, Perricone, etc. and etc. I've taken so many supplements.

After so much trial and error over the years and now finding Peat, I realized it all seems to come down to a few things and that working on those (thyroid, estrogen), is affecting the other things.

After starting Peat, I saw results in how I looked and felt within a couple weeks. For example - my gut health improved wonderfuly. Gone was the stomach burning, diarrhea, etc. Skin looked smoother, brighter, more glowy, less acne. Moods like a dream. But after a month and a half, I got too careless and regressed. I wasn't eating the way I had been in the beginning and then I started drinking alcohol regularly again = I stopped looking and feeling good.

But eventually, I went back to how I was eating in the beginning and things have improved again.

Peating hasn't fixed all my issues, but I'm willing to be patient. I still may have to have my gallbladder out some day, for one thing, but I'll just keep doing what I can in the meantime.

So, my way of Peating is helping me, as long as I stick to certain things and don't get *too* loose with it.

For example, I find that I have to watch my alcohol intake or it messes with how I look and feel, no matter how much good Peating I do. After a certain amount the alcohol becomes "disorganizing" to the body systems - is the only way I can put it - it just messes up everything as a toxin. The only drink I seem to do OK with is rum (with OJ or Coke), but I still have to limit it even with Peating.

I guess that's my intro. I may come back and add more info when I get the time. I'm glad to be here. :D

OP
Peata

Peata

I decided to post again to talk about a few specific, important things. :)

The carrot salad is almost a miracle worker. Within an hour of eating it, I can usually feel it working. Sometimes there will be a light rumbly sensation through my gut (not unpleasant), but whether I feel that or not, my stomach will always feel better AND overall, I'll feel better. I've used the carrot salad specifically to clear up overindulgence. The way I make it is to grate carrots ahead of time, rinse, and drain, and put in a container in the fridge. I grate enough for a week, I guess. When I want the salad, I spoon some into a bowl, add 1 t. coconut oil, 1 t. vinegar, mix around, and then salt the heck out of it.

My favorite small meals and snacks are dairy & "sugar". Examples: Daisy cottage cheese with canned or fresh fruit; an ounce or two of cheese and fresh or canned fruit; cheese and orange juice; a homemade milkshake with vanilla ice cream, milk, and whatever I want mixed in - like strawberry jam or chocolate syrup. I throw in some salt on these meals.

Once per week or more, I have liver and seafood. I seem to do better if I don't skip it. Sometimes I even seem to crave it. I am not skimpy with the salt.

That leads me to talk about salt - my discovery that salt makes me feel really good. It's probably bad to parachute it, but occasionally, I will toss and wash a little salt with a small amount of liquid. I like the way it makes me feel - warm and relaxed. I think I average 4 g. sodium per day. Despite this, I have no blood pressure problems. I know it's not the most accurate way to test, but I'll check my blood pressure every week or two at the Solo kiosk at Walmart. It's always low.

I have a packet of gelatin (store brand) in a cup of coffee at least once per day. In my coffee, I use milk and sugar, and once per day the gelatin and 1 t. coconut oil.

Here's what I ate today:

Woke up and had the carrot salad.

One cup of coffee with the milk, sugar, gelatin and coconut oil. More coffee later with just the milk and sugar.

Dairy/sugar, as discussed above.

More coffee.

Dinner is usually a little meat and starches. Tonight is going to be some fried liver and oysters, with a starch. Sometimes it's potatoes, now and then it will be rice or pasta. Tonight will probably be mac and cheese. Everything nice and salted.

Afterward, I might have more dairy/sugar or more coffee/milk/gelatin/co.

This might not seem like a lot or varied foods, but that's just today's eating. Some days it's all over the place.

I'm never going hungry. I'm also not strict. I do eat at restaurants sometimes and at other people's homes and sometimes just eat anything I want without regards to Peating. So I make sure to have some vitamin E, sugar, salt, saturated fat, etc. in the meal to help counter-act the PUFAs.

I keep my PUFAs under 5 g. per day, with the occasional high days as I said, where I eat out or just eat what I want.

I try to keep my protein up - 80 g. day minimum.

Despite one of my initial fears that I would become a sugar addict, that has not happened. I actually seem more calm and balanced with my foods. It's just not a big deal anymore.

Well, I'll post again later. I'm sure I'll think of more to add :)

4peatssake

:welcome2 Peata!

Wow, thanks for the great intro. You sound like you are totally dialed in to Peating!
Good for you.
This is a terrific community and it's wonderful that you have added your voice to our chorus!
There's lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people here and some great conversations.
See you round the forum!

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you for the warm welcome, 4PS! :grouphug

I was just now reading one of your posts (http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1520), and what you said resonated big time with me, and I'm sure with many others. I could have written these things!

All of what I had been told or had come to believe on my own were "causes" for my physical and emotional problems I very quickly understood had only been "symptoms."

First of all, not having this missing critical piece - the actual cause of my myriad of problems - was sufficient to keep my suffering and declining health in place as I began to rapidly approach what I think was critical mass.

It was in the midst of this horrible crash that I found Ray Peat and began to understand the fuller implications of the deceptions being perpetrated upon a humanity fast asleep, most of whom are convinced that salad, veggies, baked salmon (wild caught of course), lean chicken, grains and pufas will keep them healthy. I had tried every diet I think known to man to try and correct my problems using food.

I can see that a very large mountain looms ahead of me and it will take time to get my metabolism up to speed. I won't scale the mountain overnight but that's OK. I found the path up the mountain after taking many side roads, some of those necessary and interesting but never leading to the top.

It is a journey worth taking because I am worth it. We all are.

And so, I wonder how many others have found themselves suddenly immersed in a new paradigm having their consciousness shifted to such an extreme after finding Ray Peat.

:yeahthat :thankyou

Dan W

Yes, welcome, Peata.

How effective has "Peating" been for your PCOS?

4peatssake

Thank you for your kind words, Peata!
I am happy to have found a community of others who are putting Peat's research and findings into practice.
I identify with you too as I've described myself as a lab rat for years! :lol:
I think it takes a certain kind of person to jump in and do this and I usually find that most of us have little problem questioning authority. ;)

I know that when I found and began to literally devour Ray Peat's articles, it was as though I had my bell rung. Everything just fell into place and I got really excited. It's less exciting now at times as I'm in the thick of my lab experiments and boy things can get very trying when an experiment goes south in a hurry. :lol:

The ability to experience the camaraderie on the forum as we share our ups and downs and what works and doesn't for each of us is a lovely side benefit of having found Ray Peat.

So glad you have started posting! You're contributions are great.

OP
Peata

Peata

Dan Wich said:
Yes, welcome, Peata.

How effective has "Peating" been for your PCOS?

Hi Dan, thanks for the welcome!

Peating seems to be helping my PCOS symptoms. I follow my version of the woe and use progesterone cream days 14 - 24 or so of my cycle.

My skin condition is better. I still get blackheads/clogged pores and some small pimples sometimes, but nothing like before when I had an almost nonstop explosion of oil and cysts. Ugh.

My skin is less oily.

I don't pull nearly as many hairs out in the shower.

My sweat doesn't smell strong like it used to.

My periods were starting to stretch out to 11 days (very light but annoying), and the last couple of months since Peating they have been 5 days.

I'll probably use this thread to update and like a journal from time to time on progress or thoughts on the Peat way.

OP
Peata

Peata

4peatssake said:
Thank you for your kind words, Peata!
I am happy to have found a community of others who are putting Peat's research and findings into practice.
I identify with you too as I've described myself as a lab rat for years! :lol:
I think it takes a certain kind of person to jump in and do this and I usually find that most of us have little problem questioning authority. ;)

I know that when I found and began to literally devour Ray Peat's articles, it was as though I had my bell rung. Everything just fell into place and I got really excited. It's less exciting now at times as I'm in the thick of my lab experiments and boy things can get very trying when an experiment goes south in a hurry. :lol:

The ability to experience the camaraderie on the forum as we share our ups and downs and what works and doesn't for each of us is a lovely side benefit of having found Ray Peat.

So glad you have started posting! You're contributions are great.

:grouphug Thanks again, 4PS! I agree with all you said, and I'm glad I'm here finally instead of the occasional lurking. It feels good to have a sense that I have some power and control over what's going on with my body. All we can do is keep learning, keep up the hope, and keep going forward. :bluewhip :)

OP
Peata

Peata

I thought of one other thing to put under "What is the Worst Part"...

Just like the blood sugar issue and the fear of going against the grain, this was also a temporary thing, but there was a feeling that this woe was just so new and different - would I ever get it down and have it come naturally?

What I did was make notes when I read anything about the basics of Peat eating. I looked at that now and then to keep myself on track, and now I just pull it out occasionally as a refresher. It really isn't as hard as I thought it would be to keep straight. Things in this woe can be as simple or complicated as you want. Sure enough, just like everything else we do for the first time, I got it down (my version, I guess) and now it's second nature. :)

Dan W

Thanks Peata. I was curious because I know someone with bad PCOS symptoms.

OP
Peata

Peata

Dan Wich said:
Thanks Peata. I was curious because I know someone with bad PCOS symptoms.

I'll update if/when anything else improves.

I've been on enough diets and "woe" in my life and know about initial excitement and placebo, that I wanted to wait a few months to post about Peat things until I was sure I was seeing real results.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata, welcome to the forum. :welcome

It seems like you are dialed in pretty good. From here making small adjustments can yield great results too. I am still making very small adjustments even till today and I am able to see pretty quickly the results good or bad. Like recently, I did a potato adjustment. Within a day I started getting what I call flu like symptoms, achy joints, tiredness, just an all around bad yucky feeling. Stopped potatoes and within 2 days my symptoms were gone. Food is powerful! Imagine how many people could feel a ton better just dropping starches. :eek:

Great to see you posting! Looking forward to hearing more of your results. :hattip

Swandattur

Charlie, might the symptoms from potato be from the alkaloids, since achy joints are classic nightshade symptoms? I've just been considering the nightshade question lately is all.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I would think that yes it could be a possibility. I plan on testing out masa harina and rice sometime in the future to see if the same thing happens.

Swandattur

I have not been eating any starches myself, because for the most part my blood sugar stays normal without. I have some masa harina I am intending to try, too. I will be very surprised if it it turns out to be okay for blood sugar, since it is a starch. Still, it might be okay for an occasional treat.

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Peata, welcome to the forum. :welcome

It seems like you are dialed in pretty good. From here making small adjustments can yield great results too. I am still making very small adjustments even till today and I am able to see pretty quickly the results good or bad. Like recently, I did a potato adjustment. Within a day I started getting what I call flu like symptoms, achy joints, tiredness, just an all around bad yucky feeling. Stopped potatoes and within 2 days my symptoms were gone. Food is powerful! Imagine how many people could feel a ton better just dropping starches. :eek:

Great to see you posting! Looking forward to hearing more of your results. :hattip

Thanks for the welcome, Charlie!

Interesting your reaction to potatoes. You know they are in the nightshade family and some people are sensitive. I've never noticed any problem thank goodness, because I love potatoes anyway they can be fixed. :)

Since starting this woe, I have given up or greatly reduced most starches without even trying or missing anything. It's funny because when I was Low Carb, I missed bread so much. I haven't cut it all out completely on Peat, but I find most of it has no appeal to me. I think if it's homemade it's good, and I make my own pizza crusts about 1x per week. The rest of the bread from the store though just seems like a gluey tasteless waste of calories, lol.

Cold cereal has no appeal to me either.

Now and then I have some Melba crackers with cheese.

Anyway, white potatoes I love, as I said, and have them a few times per week with lots of salt and fat. A little rice about 1 x week.

OP
Peata

Peata

I'll be 4 months into Peat on July 4. (I wasn't hardcore for a few weeks in the middle of these 4 months, but I have been adhering to my idea of Peat quite strongly again for a month now.)

I think I may have cleared out some PUFA from my system because my temps, when I think to check them, are about where I want to see them.

Like I said before, I'm slowly growing back eyebrow hairs from where they went missing on the right brow - outer third. I'm really quite pleased to see this because I was pretty much bald on that spot for YEARS. It still has a way to go and I'll keep penciling them in, but it's nice to see improvement. The left side was starting to lose hair in the outer third, but it's thickening up. I only want the brow to fill in a little more at the outer edge so it will give the appearance of a longer brow.

Since getting Great Lakes porcine gelatin in the pound canisters, I'm using more for the last week. I attribute how nicely a surgical scar seems to be healing so far to the extra protein, specifically, from the amino acid profile in the gelatin.

Last Monday, I tried to use Progest E in the large amounts RP prescribes in his instructions, but had bad side effects, so I cut it out. It took 24 hours to clear my system and for me feel normal. I started back in today using a lot less of it. So far, one drop rubbed into my gums (and using some on the skin which I started yesterday). No side effect. I'm about to rub in another drop.

I guess I just wanted to update.

OP
Peata

Peata

Also, still love that I'm losing very little hair in the shower. It's normal to lose some, but I recall pulling a big glob of it from the drain each time, and now there's barely any in comparison.

Oh, something that's probably a good sign thyroid-related, but one that I'm not thrilled about is that my arm hair seems to be getting longer and a little thicker like it used to be. Now I never did have thick arm hair by any means, but it did used to be longer and more of it. Then over the last few years that I recall it thinned out a lot. I liked that. It probably was the same mechanism by which my eyebrow hair was thinning. Now the eyebrows are slowly growing back but the arm hair is too. If it's a sign of health, I'll not complain though.

Swandattur

The eyebrow hair growing back in sure seems like a definite sign you are getting better. It is really good to get those concrete signs of better health. You know you're not imagining it! :)

Rolan

Peata said:
Anyway, white potatoes I love, as I said, and have them a few times per week with lots of salt and fat. A little rice about 1 x week.

I love white potato too, with butter and salt. So much that I don't think I'd want to live without it. Cassava is also incredible, yams less so but still so good with butter. As is Red Kuri squash, which is very potato-ey.

I've never had problems with starch, no achy joints at all - although I was beginning to notice some terrible gas. I mean, toxic scents permeating the air around me :lol: I genuinely think adding salt and boiling them for 45 mins has erased that issue. I love white rice too. I definitely won't be giving up starch, although I have and will continue to reduce it, mainly because I think I'd become a fatass with all the whole milk/cheese on top.

Back
Top Bottom