Over 3 Months In

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks, Swan and Rolan for your comments.

I'll probably update soon.

OP
Peata

Peata

Over 5 months in RP now, and things are going quite well. The eating itself is basically non stressful now. In the beginning, I kept having to re-read stuff to figure out what to eat/not eat and with what. I think adapting to the Peat mindset has taken me longer to do than any almost any other diet, other than perhaps my brief stint with "Somersizing" back in my mid-20s (food combining, was a lot to remember when eating).

I also had to get used to some of the supplemental things, though I don't use them all. To me, those were confusing at first. Bear with me, as I try to explain...

In my way of thinking before, I took supplements sometimes (things in pills) to try to get a specific effect or whatever, but using some of the Peat supplements, like salt, for example, seemed so "artificial". Because I was coming from a mindset of "eat whole foods" and everything will be OK. So the salt naturally in the food or used to season the food "should" have been enough in my mind. I could never have imagined I would be taking extra salt and that it was healthy. I still don't take a lot of aspirin, though I do take some everyday and I know it's doing good things for me. I just still have a worry about it causing bleeding, I guess, though there haven't been any signs of it. I get my vit. K from foods.

Now I really don't think twice about some of the things I do with RP eating. It's quite remarkable how we can change our brains.

I notice in the last 4 - 5 days that I think I'm looking better. Like I catch my skin looking "glowy", smoother, etc. Maybe some of it was hormonal, in that my period was winding down and now its been over for a few days so perhaps there's the progesterone being more level with estrogen at the moment... However that's happened every month for about, forever now, and so it must have something to do with the Peaty things combined with the more stable hormones (at the moment). If anyone has any thoughts on why I would actually look better, I'm interested.

I even got carded yesterday. (I'm 39, looking at 40). Now I don't see how she could have really thought I was under 21, but the way she talked I got the impression she thought I was no more than early 30s. I'll take it. Because for the last few years, I've been looking older than I am, which was a new thing for me and depressing. Starting at age 36, I just didn't look healthy to me - it was everything - skin, facial tone, etc. I'd always been thought to be younger than my age, so starting to look older than my age was a bummer. NOW I know it was the usual culprits we talk about here, particularly my hormones IMO. But at the time, it sent me on a quest to try to help myself through diet. Over the years I tried low carb, IF, almost raw, "Mediterranean", Perricone, etc. Things just kept getting worse.

Finding Peat, I knew I was in something for the long-haul but hoped I would be able to see at least some results early on, which I did, and encouraged me to keep going. I still have a lot to learn about all this, but I'm getting pretty comfortable with what I'm doing so far.

My next Peaty thing will probably be to get into the red lights, especially with Fall and shorter days around the corner. I keep reading different things and I'm still confused about exactly which lights to get. I want something I can just go pick up at Lowes, so if anyone has a specific bulb and shade/cord to recommend, please do.

OP
Peata

Peata

Here's how I've been eating lately. Of course there's variation on some things each day.

First thing in the a.m., I make coffee. Over the morning I work on 3 cups. Each cup is mixed with heated milk, Great Lakes gelatin, sugar, coconut oil, pinch of salt (the salt makes it all taste like a caramel cappucino!).

When I start feeling hungry, I eat a carrot. I haven't been bothering to grate it and make the salad for a while now.

Sometimes I'm more hungry when I first wake up. I might have fruit, like berries, rolled in white sugar. That hit the spot with me so much the other day, it was like I could feel my cells breathing a sigh of relief.

Lunch if I'm home varies a lot. Could be any of the following: cheese & fruit; ice cream; salted, sugared milk; something leftover from dinner; can of Coke...

Afternoons are often more coffee or sugared green tea (with a little salt!), cheese and fruit if solid food is needed.

Dinners vary. Monday is always "liver and seafood day", so that's what it'll be this evening. I might make some french fries to go with it.

Other nights I cook whatever I know the family likes and make it Peaty or just eat the things that are Peaty in the meal. Remember though, I'm not super strict about some things, for example, starch, so I've been known to eat some rice, mac & cheese, pasta, etc.

I take a nibble of aspirin 1 to 3 x per day. I use some mineral water to take supps, otherwise my liquids are salted or taken with a meal that has salt. I used ProgestE in the big starter dose a couple weeks ago and intend to start it up again around ovulation, probably the "maintenance" dose. I can't think of anything else to add about my regimen right now, though I'm sure I will later.

Swandattur

My final interpretation about lights was just lots of incandescent. Like you could use 2 150 watt bulbs, or lots of smaller watt bulbs. It seems like if you get a single bulb with too much wattage you have to use one of those ceramic base metal clip lights.

OP
Peata

Peata

Saw this when looking up info on estrogen and skin/aging:

From Ray Peat's article at http://raypeat.com/articles/hormones/h1.shtml
Not the "female hormone," but the shock hormone

Estrogen, at least when it is not opposed by a very large concentration of progesterone, creates all of the conditions known to be involved in the aging process. These effects of estrogen include interference with oxidative metabolism, formation of lipofuscin (the age-pigment), retention of iron, production of free radicals and lipid peroxides, promotion of excitotoxicity and death of nerve cells, impaired learning ability, increased tendency to form blood clots and to have vascular spasms, increased autoimmunity and atrophy of the thymus, elevated prolactin, atrophy of skin, increased susceptibility to a great variety of cancers, lowered body temperature, lower serum albumin, increased tendency toward edema, and many of the features of shock....

Estrogen is a shock hormone with pro-aging effects.

....it causes cancer, excessive clotting of the blood, shock, miscarriage, and tissue degeneration....

Evidence occasionally turns up implicating estrogen in thinning of the skin....

Studies of the tendons in rats' tails showed that estrogen causes loss of elasticity in the connective tissue, imitating aging....

...estrogen can promote a cycle of free radical production.

It's really no wonder I was looking unhealthy and prematurely aged. Between ages 36 and 39, before Peat'g, I had more discoloration, some sagging and unevenness, puffiness, not much glow to speak of, big hormonal cysts mostly on jawline and neck, a lot of oil, bigger pores, and a tired look. Most of that is now gone or reduced. I still have some discoloration but I need less concealer. I used to never have dark circles but I got those at the same time this other stuff happened to my skin. Now the right side is lighter. The left undereye is still fairly purple. I'm just happy to feel and look better.

I realize now I was stewing in estrogen.

Not only because my diet was far less than ideal but because I was drinking a lot of red wine. After that kept happening to me, I did wonder about the wine, but I was in a state of denial for a long time not wanting to believe it. Even now, knowing what it does to me, I haven't given it up completely. I have been drinking off and on since Peating and I usually still get acne from the alcohol, but the places aren't nearly as big. However I see where it could lead if I drink too much like I used to. It's a good incentive to avoid alcohol most of the time. I don't drink red wine anymore, but it doesn't seem to matter what the type of alcohol it is - I've tried different wines, beer, liquors, and its always the same result. I think its the alcohol itself doing the "estrogenizing" and not so much what its made from (grapes, grain) or how much one drinks. I should just give it up entirely for good, I know. :roll:

BTW, I got carded again today.

Bluebell

Peata, thank you for your updates, I'm really enjoying reading them. :)

Re. the lights, that's something on my to-try list at some point. I listened to the old thyroid interview with Ray from '96 where he mentioned the red heat-producing brooder lamps as the ones to get. That seems to have changed as everyone is mentioning the white incandescent bulbs as the thing to get now? There is a clip-on lamp and a 250W incandescent bulb that was mentioned, that is available if you are in the USA. Its in the "red light" thread, let me know if you can't find it & I'll search for it.

Here's a question for you: what made you get the porcine gelatin, was there any special reason for that?

& ... what do you think is the biggest thing that got your estrogen levels down, is it the progest-e? I agree that estrogen is a major factor, and of course high estrogen makes hypothyroid worse, and also shoots up cortisol.

OP
Peata

Peata

Bluebell, I went with the porcine gelatin because that's what Knox is made from and I'd been using Knox for a good while with no problems. I ran out of porcine recently and re-ordered Great Lakes but was sent the beef gelatin instead. I'm using it. I can't tell any difference in how they affect me or anything. The only way I can really tell a difference is that if I sniff the dry beef gelatin, I smell a faint "plasticky" scent, where the porcine gelatin had a faint smell of pork rinds. But that makes no difference in anything - I can't taste it either way in my coffee.

Anyway to answer your question about what I think is the biggest thing to get estrogen down, I believe for me its aspirin & progesterone.

Bluebell

Thanks a lot Peata, that makes sense about the gelatin!

I have to get back to taking aspirin regularly, then I'm thinking about progest-e possibly.

OP
Peata

Peata

I'm coming into that home stretch when estrogen seems to really dominate and give me worse problems. Should have my period by the end of the week. I've been taking extra Progest E for a while now -about 1/4 t. every 3 hours. I think between that and the aspirin, it was doing well with holding off excess estrogen, but then when I gave blood Friday, I didn't take my aspirin and the blood donation got my system got all screwed up for at least 24 hours. A couple big, painful cystic pimples have popped up on forehead, more acne around mouth and chin, neck...

Today I'm feeling anxiety. The only thing that really seems to put a dent in is a big ol cup of chocolate ice cream. I also took more theanine. Again I'm taking extra progesterone, aspirin, and also using red light. I've got the light shining on the back of my head, back of upper body right now. I am feeling calmer, but still have a bit of that nagging anxiety in chest and belly. At least it's not bad like it was for the last couple hours. I'm sipping Coke.

Anymore I can tell when I'm having anxiety like this that it's "not really me" but it's the estrogen doing its thing. It helps a little to have that "distance" from it - knowing it's not something wrong with my head, but that it's my hormonal system that is practically overriding me. The only good thing is again, I know what it is now and that it's not how I have to stay, and also I have tools to combat it with Peat.

I KNOW I can be calm, serene, generally worry-free, happy, because I've been getting so much of that lately. It's so strange to feel so good like that sometimes. But then days come like this and threaten to overwhelm. Rationally, I know things are the same as they were yesterday when I was happy and calm. Nothing is threatening, things are good. But there's that body feeling, as I said particularly in chest and tummy, and then there are ruminations, worry, anxiety.

The good thing is, I'm not tempted to go to alcohol to relieve it. That would've been my first choice before. I would have already had 2 drinks and working on the 3rd. Now it didn't even come to mind as an aid until I just now thought about what I would have done before. I guess things are changing metabolically in me. And I KNOW that yes, alcohol feels really good at first, but then it does the worst things.... hunger, paranoia, mood changes, irritability, headache, tummy ache, blah....

I'm feeling a lot better, even by the time I finished typing this. My feet even have that pleasant, luscious warmth.

I think I'll fix some green tea with a bit of salt and a couple t. of sugar and put on some nice mood music.

OP
Peata

Peata

I seem to be fine now, as far as the anxiety.

Had fruit, sugar, dairy. Had my carrot. Had more Progest-E. I dissolved powders of theanine, inositol, 1/2 packet energy drink powder (for caffeine, b vits, taurine, etc.), and some aspirin in Coke and mineral water. Sitting under heat lamp.

I think I'm managing to knock down the estrogen, at least temporarily. I certainly feel better. The large cyst that was on my forehead is shrinking and not so painful. Breasts aren't aching. Anxiety gone.

I feel very good.

One thing I've learned is, it doesn't matter how many things I take to influence calm, such as l-theanine, if the estrogen is up and uncontrolled, the other things really don't have much effect. But if the estrogen is handled, then I feel good and the other supplements are just the chill-icing on the cake.

OP
Peata

Peata

It's been more than 6 months on RP now.

The results keep coming as I tinker with the diet here and there to try to address my health concerns.

The Bad first:
-I am still the same weight (I was this weight before starting Peat, so I haven't actually gained on Peat). I'm not overweight, it's just that I'm on the upper end of my "comfort range", and would still like to lose about 10#. I look fine in my clothes, I just think that some days I'm still carrying water. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason. Some days I eat 2500 calories and maintain or even lose a little, and then I can eat 1800 and be up on the scale. I'm not sure how to get my water regulated.

Also I guess in the weight category -I'd like to lose weight in my breasts and go down in cup size, but I don't know if that will happen. The last time I lost weight (pre-Peat) they stayed the same despite me getting thin elsewhere. Sure I'm all foxy and s#$@, but from my POV it's overrated - would rather be smaller.

-still breaking out with hormonal acne. It's not as bad as it was, but I've got 3 spots that are painful to the touch. Everything else has gone away or is going away, as per the time in my cycle. I wish some of these places would heal faster. Seems like the big ones have to be drained 2 or even 3 times before they go away.

I'll be back with an update on The Good when I get a chance.

messtafarian

I'm not sure about your cash situation but one thing I noticed from using bodymedia is that Ray is totally right on: when I eat a lot of sugar I burn two to three hundred more calories a day more than I usually do. The last time I was tracking I would stay between 1800-2000 a day -- my highest sugar day ( or actually it might have been the day *after*) I burned 2700. I'm a middle aged lately very sedentary woman and that's just crazy for me. So even though you're not losing it is kind of comforting to know the metabolism is running high.

Don't know what to tell you about the cup size. I don't consider it much of an advantage myself.

I switched from all my foofy moisturizers to coconut oil in the morning. Cheaper, does pretty much the same thing and I've been reading anecdotal evidence it clears up breakouts. Or you could try progesterone.

OP
Peata

Peata

I increased my sugar consumption over the last week. I made a conscious effort to do that. I actually filled a measuring cup with white sugar and set it out each day. At the end of the day, I had used as much as 3/4 of the cup.

Looking back over cronometer for the last week, I notice I lost weight when I used a lot of sugar and little to no starch. Besides white sugar, I got my sugar from fruit, OJ, Coke.

I think most starch isn't good for me. I'm not giving it up completely - still gonna have pizza and stuff now and then. It's just that starch seems to give me gas and GI trouble, as well as put weight on me.

I noticed on the days I ate a lot of sugar and very little to no starch, I could eat up to 2500 calories and my weight didn't go up. I'm also fairly sedentary, so that was a shock for me.

OP
Peata

Peata

As far as my skin, nothing topical will make a difference, I know from years and years of experience. The only thing it needs are for my hormones to get corrected, and then I could dip my face in Crisco and it wouldn't break out.

I've started taking Curcumin again, since in the past it seemed to calm down my biggest cysts.

I'd kind of slacked up on the aspirin some, not that I was taking that much, but I'm going to take more again - especially since I'm getting a little more K through foods.

Otherwise guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and see if the hormonal acne can settle down beyond the few days around ovulation when it looks great.

Mittir

Peata said:
I've started taking Curcumin again, since in the past it seemed to calm down my biggest cysts.

Curcumin is a fat soluble substance, absorption of curcumin is many folds when it is dissolved in whole milk or fat.

OP
Peata

Peata

as far as The Good, the latest thing is I had an easy period.

I had some cramps, but they weren't too bad -was an improvement several months. I was worried I'd go through the same experience I've been having for a while, where I'd be wakened in the night with horrible cramps. I dreaded going to sleep the first and second night because I feared it would happen, but nothing happened. I slept through the night.

It was also a shorter period. It was much lighter too.

Also, I find as long as I eat regularly and include the Peaty foods, my moods are stable. My thoughts are clearer.

Sleeping well. I make sure I have something like a little OJ w salt and sugar before bed.

OP
Peata

Peata

Mittir said:
Curcumin is a fat soluble substance, absorption of curcumin is many folds when it is dissolved in whole milk or fat.

As far as you know, Mittir, is curcumin OK in Peat-world as far as not being estrogenic?

Mittir

RP never said anything about turmeric. But he explicitly talked about a toxicity report on black
pepper, it is a fruit with seed. I believe he avoids all spices.
But i used turmeric for several years before starting RP and still do occasionally.
It helps a lot with inflammation. Turmeric spice comes from the root of a plant. RP commented that
roots are safer than leaves and seeds. I think most spices are from seeds or leaves.
I have seen some articles on turmeric and it's amazing health benefits.
i do not remember reading any where turmeric being estrogenic.

OP
Peata

Peata

The Bad: I mentioned on another thread that in the last week my gums and teeth have become achey and sensitive. This happened one week after increasing sugar. Before resorting to lowering the sugar, I am going to try to focus on oral care more frequently - baking soda rinses and the like.

The Good (Very Good): Also, despite the acne, my appearance overall seems a lot better. I notice in the last 3 - 4 weeks that my skin quality is nicer. It also seems firmer. My face has symmetry again. quick background: After my estrogen dominance exploded on me back in 2010 at age 36, I developed an asymmetrical look in my face, where my jawline lacked the strong definition it had and one side of my jaw actually seemed to sag down a bit. Smile lines that I had on each side of my mouth (again, one side worse) got even worse. All that is improved and face looks toned, tighter, firmer. I think I look younger. I feel younger, anyway.

I don't know if this happened as an accumulation over 5 months of doing Peaty things, or if it had to do with introducing the heat lamp everyday, or more sugar or what. I'll just carry on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom