Ovarian Cysts While Nursing- Can I use Progest-E?

milkmama

HI-- I'm new to this board, so thanks in advance for your patience.

I've been introducing peat's ideas since February this year (so 5 months and counting). I was 1 year postpartum and still nursing regularly (without a period) when I began peat-ing in February, and I quickly got my cycle back. At first my periods were easy, better than they'd been in 8 years. I had signs of endometriosis before pregnancy, and 10 years before that I had ovarian cysts. That's the short version of the story. Now, 5 cycles into my postpartum menstruating, I am noticing again cyclical ovarian pain (seems to be follicular based on my awareness of my cycle and timing), that is bilateral. My bleeding is moderate with one month of very heavy bleeding.

If it helps to know some back history, I have had some early autoimmune signs in the last decade (polyneuralgia, multi-joint joint pain, fatigue, fog) with low level RF found but negative ESR and CRP. Mild fatty liver changes were found recently on ultrasound. I had a very nauseous pregnancy, family history of preclampsia which I luckily avoided. My son is super healthy and strong.

Currently I feel quite good though the joints that have bugged me the most historically still do. I have lots of energy, the fatigue and fog are totally gone. My appetite is strong and I don't gain weight. I haven't felt cold in a long time. My focus and creativity is through the roof. I had some muscle twitching and insomnia that cleared up recently when I started to drink wee bits of coffee (what a surprise!). Recently, I am getting nauseous in the nighttime easily which is better with a big snack before bed or a nighttime snack. My son is nursing through the night still.

I want to conceive again in the next 8 months. AND I want to be ready. I intend to continue breastfeeding my son as much as he wants.

SO--- the big Q's are: can/should I do a trial of Progest-E for the cysts while nursing? Is there a concern in taking Progest-E with the fatty liver changes? For those of you who are further ahead on this path or have a similar story--- is Progest-E (in your opinion) necessary? I do feel like I'm on the right track, regardless of the cyst pains right now. Are the dietary changes enough?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts. I appreciate forums like this where people are helping each other out. It's a good thing.

HDD

Longnaturalhealth.com has instructions on taking Proget-e. They say not to use it while breastfeeding. My daughters midwife also said no. I just found the following.

Progesterone & Prolactin
After you give birth, prolactin becomes the dominant hormone for milk production. Research by Dr. C. Matthew Peterson from the University of Utah College of Medicine finds that prolactin and progesterone compete for the same receptors in the human body. When progesterone binds to prolactin receptors, it prevents your breasts from making milk. For this reason, wait until your milk supply is established -- on average four weeks after delivery -- before using a progesterone cream. It is safe for babies, as it is not passed into a mother's breast milk.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/53232 ... stfeeding/

From "Once a Month" by Katharina Dalton in reference to postnatal depression. p. 248

"The day may come when all women can receive treatment to prevent postnatal depression. Mother's can breast-feed while receiving progesterone; indeed, progesterone enhances lactation, which is an additional bonus."

I have not read anything by Ray Peat on using Progest-e while breastfeeding but there is a lot I have not read or listened to yet. The first source is random from a google search. Katharina Dalton is mentioned in Peat's writings.

LucyL

Haagendazendiane, that's interesting. I had always heard "no" too, while breastfeeding, but it sounds like the "no" is really aimed at the beginning of breastfeeding, in which case milkmama should be fine.

I really need to get Katherine Daltons book.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals