Out of control libido during ovulation.

I'm.No.One

So basically I have no real sex drive...then the week of ovulation I literally can't think about anything but sex.

This may sound fun but it's all consuming, I can't focus on work, without selfcontrol I'd ruin my marriage hunting (no other word really fits there) other men, it's not pleasant & almost feels like invasive thoughts.

I hadn't actually felt this in a while, then for the sake of a hormone panel I'm in the middle of taking I stopped taking progesterone so the test would show me what my body is doing on it's own accord.

(However, when using the progesterone I have basically no sex drive ever although there's some stress issues that play into this.)

I waiver between I shouldn't feel guilty for having the desire to... especially when it's literally my biological function & the urgency is so consuming that this is clearly not a symptom of health.

I'm 36, have never used hormonal birth control, cycle like clockwork, don't have painful cycles.

I know it's the spike in estrogen that makes our sex drive go up a day or two before ovulation. This makes me wonder if I'm actually low in estrogen (I was low in all hormones last May) so when I actually produce it things get...crazy.

While my husband doesn't complain in the least I think it's something I shouldn't ignore.

It'll be another week before I can send in the test, then probably a week before I get it back but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts in the meantime?

Beastmode

So basically I have no real sex drive...then the week of ovulation I literally can't think about anything but sex.

This may sound fun but it's all consuming, I can't focus on work, without selfcontrol I'd ruin my marriage hunting (no other word really fits there) other men, it's not pleasant & almost feels like invasive thoughts.

I hadn't actually felt this in a while, then for the sake of a hormone panel I'm in the middle of taking I stopped taking progesterone so the test would show me what my body is doing on it's own accord.

(However, when using the progesterone I have basically no sex drive ever although there's some stress issues that play into this.)

I waiver between I shouldn't feel guilty for having the desire to... especially when it's literally my biological function & the urgency is so consuming that this is clearly not a symptom of health.

I'm 36, have never used hormonal birth control, cycle like clockwork, don't have painful cycles.

I know it's the spike in estrogen that makes our sex drive go up a day or two before ovulation. This makes me wonder if I'm actually low in estrogen (I was low in all hormones last May) so when I actually produce it things get...crazy.

While my husband doesn't complain in the least I think it's something I shouldn't ignore.

It'll be another week before I can send in the test, then probably a week before I get it back but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts in the meantime?

If you haven't already, try eating a carrot salad the week leading up until ovulation and see if anything changes.

This is coming from a man so I have not idea what you're truly going through :).

I'm 43 and ready to go all the time. However, when I notice myself in a "hunting" like mentality when I'm out and notice every woman as a conquest, I know it's not my testosterone levels, which are pretty healthy, and it's some "stressors" in my system.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

If you haven't already, try eating a carrot salad the week leading up until ovulation and see if anything changes.

This is coming from a man so I have not idea what you're truly going through :).

I'm 43 and ready to go all the time. However, when I notice myself in a "hunting" like mentality when I'm out and notice every woman as a conquest, I know it's not my testosterone levels, which are pretty healthy, and it's some "stressors" in my system.
I personally haven't found any different eating it daily, but maybe if I use it just before ovulation.

Demyze

Have you ever gotten any other blood work besides this panel you're in the midst of?

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Have you ever gotten any other blood work besides this panel you're in the midst of?
This is the third time in the last 2ish years that I'll be checking my hormone/cortisol levels.

Same service though so I'm shown the results side by side which is handy to see the changes.

The last one showed crazy low everything, even estrogen. Although my DHEA was sky high, which from what I've learned is common in severe stress/burnout.

As of 2 years ago I was in said severe burn out, HPA axis had shut down from years of 14 hour work days & stress induced under eating.

Were you thinking of any test in particular beyond hormones?

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

your prolactin is ...?
I'm not sure but I do take aspirin (typically 325mg 1-2x a day) & cypro (0.5mg) daily so that would be helping to lower the levels.

I also don't have a lot of the standard symptoms of high prolactin beyond low libido outside of ovulation.

But I mean the fact that I ovulate/bleed like clockwork would point to not having high prolactin since it typically messes with cycles.

That & it's higher naturally after ovulation & lowest just before so it doesn't really lend itself to causing a boost in female sex drive that I know of anyhow?

Demyze

This is the third time in the last 2ish years that I'll be checking my hormone/cortisol levels.

Same service though so I'm shown the results side by side which is handy to see the changes.

The last one showed crazy low everything, even estrogen. Although my DHEA was sky high, which from what I've learned is common in severe stress/burnout.

As of 2 years ago I was in said severe burn out, HPA axis had shut down from years of 14 hour work days & stress induced under eating.

Were you thinking of any test in particular beyond hormones?
I think the very high DHEA would suggest low metabolism/thyroid function which can manifest as high adrenal activity

Menopausal women often have indtectable estrogen levels in the blood, but this doesn't reflect actual tissue concentrations.
Tissue and plasma estrogen in menopausal women

Have you taken your temperature & pulse to monitor your metabolic function? Vitamin D level? Consume liver and oyster weekly?

Vitamin A is necessary for hormonal production using thyroid
blog.png

You can pm me or post your previous lab results if you want

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

I think the very high DHEA would suggest low metabolism/thyroid function which can manifest as high adrenal activity

Menopausal women often have indtectable estrogen levels in the blood, but this doesn't reflect actual tissue concentrations.
Tissue and plasma estrogen in menopausal women

Have you taken your temperature & pulse to monitor your metabolic function? Vitamin D level? Consume liver and oyster weekly?

Vitamin A is necessary for hormonal production using thyroid
View attachment 35207

You can pm me or post your previous lab results if you want
I'm able to get my temp up to around 97ish & my pulse is typically in the 80-85 range.

Here's the jist of my test from last year, although I expect my next labs to look entirely different so don't expect this is what's currently happening in my body.

It's basically a great clinical look at long term effects of stress.

Vitamin D was fine last year, I eat a fair amount of grass fed fats & such.

Bivalves (oysters) began making my kidneys unhappy, like aching, ran a kidney panel & they're fine.
Screenshot_20220331-172413.png

This was all from my spit though, trying to dig up the one from my blood.

The one I'm working on taking is a combo of both.

Also, I appreciate your time!

Demyze

I'm able to get my temp up to around 97ish & my pulse is typically in the 80-85 range.

Here's the jist of my test from last year, although I expect my next labs to look entirely different so don't expect this is what's currently happening in my body.

It's basically a great clinical look at long term effects of stress.

Vitamin D was fine last year, I eat a fair amount of grass fed fats & such.

Bivalves (oysters) began making my kidneys unhappy, like aching, ran a kidney panel & they're fine.
View attachment 35210

This was all from my spit though, trying to dig up the one from my blood.

The one I'm working on taking is a combo of both.

Also, I appreciate your time!
Okay I'll wait for you to post blood results but it could be a number of things putting brakes on your libido; serotonin, low dopamine, cortisol, high tissue pufa, lack of steroidogenesis, etc

Peat and haidut had discussed how having unsatisfying orgasms is a sign of estrogen, even if there is insatiable sexual desire at times

Depending on where the oysters are from they may be high in radiation or other pollutants. Ive never had issues with "crown prince in olive oil" from south Korea but Atlantic oysters have made me feel unwell before.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Okay I'll wait for you to post blood results but it could be a number of things putting brakes on your libido; serotonin, low dopamine, cortisol, high tissue pufa, lack of steroidogenesis, etc

Peat and haidut had discussed how having unsatisfying orgasms is a sign of estrogen, even if there is insatiable sexual desire at times

Depending on where the oysters are from they may be high in radiation or other pollutants. Ive never had issues with "crown prince in olive oil" from south Korea but Atlantic oysters have made me feel unwell before.
Yeah it's stress for sure. It's hard to explain the level of unrelenting stress I'm under/can't do anything about.

I will say I've seen a lot of improvements to my stress reactions in the last year & the cypro/aspirin were a game changer, for sure from knocking my serotonin back. Even to the point that my armpit no longer stink, which I always assumed was from cortisol but seems like it was more so serotonin.

With the oysters it doesn't matter, even beautifully fresh ones always result in kindey pain/kidney infection.

Tried clams instead, same thing.

Tried muscles, same thing.

My body just decided to reject them out of the blue.

I find it interesting that the progesterone stops these almost sexual manic states, I didn't even realize they had subsided until it returned kinda deal.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Perfectly normal sexuality/behavior in a naturally cycling woman that is not on any type of hormonal contraceptives. It can be frustrating, but if it is any consolation coming from a non-medical professional - healthy males feel like that most days of the month:):
The high sexual desire is driven by the elevated DHEA. That hormone has been repeatedly shown to be the best predictor of female sexual desire levels, and in women converts mostly into testosterone (unlike males where in higher doses it easily raises estrogen). Testosterone is a well-known remedy for "female sexual dysfunction" and this knowledge (of the preferential DHEA->T conversion in women) has led to a few recent successful trials with vaginal DHEA administration that turned out to be a very effective remedy for all the horrors of menopause, especially the lack of sexual desire and anhedonia in post-menopausal women. Now, sometimes elevated DHEA can be due to high estrogen but since you said your estrogen/prolactin are normal then I don't think estrogen is the issue here.

Anyways, the good news is that if your DHEA is high and cortisol low, then you are most likely not in a burnout state, you are still in the "adaptation stage". True burnout is invariably characterized by high cortisol and low DHEA, and if the stress continues eventually it may lead to full-blown Addison disease (low cortisol + low DHEA).
So, the only suggestion I have for "taming" the desire (but only if it becomes truly problematic) is either high doses progesterone (100mg+ daily) or getting a bottle of the so-called Chasteberry, which has well-known anti-libido (AN-aphrodisiac, as per the Wiki page below) effects when used regularly (hence the name) due to a number of progesterone-like molecules it contains.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Perfectly normal sexuality/behavior in a naturally cycling woman that is not on any type of hormonal contraceptives. It can be frustrating, but if it is any consolation coming from a non-medical professional - healthy males feel like that most days of the month:):
The high sexual desire is driven by the elevated DHEA. That hormone has been repeatedly shown to be the best predictor of female sexual desire levels, and in women converts mostly into testosterone (unlike males where in higher doses it easily raises estrogen). Testosterone is a well-known remedy for "female sexual dysfunction" and this knowledge (of the preferential DHEA->T conversion in women) has led to a few recent successful trials with vaginal DHEA administration that turned out to be a very effective remedy for all the horrors of menopause, especially the lack of sexual desire and anhedonia in post-menopausal women. Now, sometimes elevated DHEA can be due to high estrogen but since you said your estrogen/prolactin are normal then I don't think estrogen is the issue here.

Anyways, the good news is that if your DHEA is high and cortisol low, then you are most likely not in a burnout state, you are still in the "adaptation stage". True burnout is invariably characterized by high cortisol and low DHEA, and if the stress continues eventually it may lead to full-blown Addison disease (low cortisol + low DHEA).
So, the only suggestion I have for "taming" the desire (but only if it becomes truly problematic) is either high doses progesterone (100mg+ daily) or getting a bottle of the so-called Chasteberry, which has well-known anti-libido (AN-aphrodisiac, as per the Wiki page below) effects when used regularly (hence the name) due to a number of progesterone-like molecules it contains.
Thanks for chiming in, I'd say it feels problematic. Like I'm manic over it?

If guys feel like this all the time I have zero idea how you all get anything done haha.

I have (on my last test, will be a few weeks before I get a recent one returned) insanely low cortisol in the morning then it begins to climb late in the day hitting crazy high levels.

I was under the impression that a flipped CAR was past the adaptive stage. I do feel better stress/energy wise in comparison to the test I showed above which was about a year ago, I can't even imagine feeling any more tired than I did then.

I'm not sure but I do take aspirin (typically 325mg 1-2x a day) & cypro (0.5mg) daily so that would be helping to lower the levels.

I also don't have a lot of the standard symptoms of high prolactin beyond low libido outside of ovulation.

But I mean the fact that I ovulate/bleed like clockwork would point to not having high prolactin since it typically messes with cycles.

That & it's higher naturally after ovulation & lowest just before so it doesn't really lend itself to causing a boost in female sex drive that I know of anyhow?
well, I am pointing towards too low prolactin causing hypersexuality.
Is your refractory period very short when you ovulate?
For how long have you been taking progesterone?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks for chiming in, I'd say it feels problematic. Like I'm manic over it?

If guys feel like this all the time I have zero idea how you all get anything done haha.

I have (on my last test, will be a few weeks before I get a recent one returned) insanely low cortisol in the morning then it begins to climb late in the day hitting crazy high levels.

I was under the impression that a flipped CAR was past the adaptive stage. I do feel better stress/energy wise in comparison to the test I showed above which was about a year ago, I can't even imagine feeling any more tired than I did then.

If cortisol is high, even though not when it should be, together with DHEA - then I'd say it is simply indicative of acute stress, and occasional mania may occur. If the inverted cortisol pattern remains but DHEA becomes low-ish, then it is a risk factor for depression. Exhaustion/burnout/anhedonia may also happen when cortisol is high but DHEA low. Final stage - all adrenal hormones low, which is at the stage of or just before Addison disease (adrenal failure).
Anyways, a few women with similar issues have emailed me in the past that both the progesterone and Chasteberry seemed to work for them. But again, I'd only pursue this in a limited fashion, when the issue becomes problematic enough to interfere with your daily life. Btw, on average, how many days would you say the hypersexuality period lasts for - 2-3 days, a week, etc?

Eberhardt

You could try grounding/earthing. I started it after a comment by peat in an interview and delved into it. I am a man but it does effect my libido and there is both anecdotals about women getting a more wellfunctioning libido and theres reviewed reserach showing it to help normalize hormone-levels.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

If cortisol is high, even though not when it should be, together with DHEA - then I'd say it is simply indicative of acute stress, and occasional mania may occur. If the inverted cortisol pattern remains but DHEA becomes low-ish, then it is a risk factor for depression. Exhaustion/burnout/anhedonia may also happen when cortisol is high but DHEA low. Final stage - all adrenal hormones low, which is at the stage of or just before Addison disease (adrenal failure).
Anyways, a few women with similar issues have emailed me in the past that both the progesterone and Chasteberry seemed to work for them. But again, I'd only pursue this in a limited fashion, when the issue becomes problematic enough to interfere with your daily life. Btw, on average, how many days would you say the hypersexuality period lasts for - 2-3 days, a week, etc?
Thanks for that, I'm really looking forward to what my upcoming labs say. I feel like Cypro/Aspirin & other changes have made a big difference in my stress.

It lasts about 4 days, a few days before ovulation & the few days into it. All 4 if those days I am basically in OCD mode about sex & it for sure stops me from functioning in the way that I'm not paying attention to anything else.

well, I am pointing towards too low prolactin causing hypersexuality.
Is your refractory period very short when you ovulate?
For how long have you been taking progesterone?
My cycle is about 26-28 days, I've been taking progesterone for about 4 months & when I'm taking it I don't have the same drive during ovulation. I only recently stopped, about 2 weeks ago, for the sake of the hormone panel I'm working on.

However this state has existed long before taking progesterone or anything that lowers it.

You could try grounding/earthing. I started it after a comment by peat in an interview and delved into it. I am a man but it does effect my libido and there is both anecdotals about women getting a more wellfunctioning libido and theres reviewed reserach showing it to help normalize hormone-levels.
I sleep on a grounding sheet every night & spend a lot of time barefoot outside ?

RealNeat

Not to sound like a allopathic denialist but are you sure there is no psychological aspect? Are you being satisfied in your life (not just sexually)? As a male I can say that libido can become a scapegoat for procrastination or unfulfillment, a distraction from something you should or want to get done. It can cause the stark on /off libido.

Your low usual libido and high ovulation libido seems to me like something is off emotionally rather than nutrition or hormone, but I'm guessing. You say you're hunting (psychologically) other men but don't mention your desire for your own husband, forgive me if this is too bold, I'm analyzing not accusing you of anything.

TCM or Ayurveda can offer some unique perspectives.

VitoScaletta

Could still be Estrogen. I think Estrogen plays a bigger role then Testosterone in Hypersexuality

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Not to sound like a allopathic denialist but are you sure there is no psychological aspect? Are you being satisfied in your life (not just sexually)? As a male I can say that libido can become a scapegoat for procrastination or unfulfillment, a distraction from something you should or want to get done. It can cause the stark on /off libido.

Your low usual libido and high ovulation libido seems to me like something is off emotionally rather than nutrition or hormone, but I'm guessing. You say you're hunting (psychologically) other men but don't mention your desire for your own husband, forgive me if this is too bold, I'm analyzing not accusing you of anything.

TCM or Ayurveda can offer some unique perspectives.
I'm sure that I don't even have to look at my cycle app to know I'm ovulating because I wake up from intense sex dreams that I only have when I'm ovulating.

It's also so apparent that my husband knows when I'm ovulating, sure enough if we look at the calendar I'm always just about to ovulate/am ovulating.

Libido increase is a normal part of the females ovulation, for me the issue is that it's too much.

Me saying I feel like hunting other men is not an indication of not having/wanting sex with my husband because it's actually to the point during ovulation that he literally can't anymore.

I was simply giving an example of how high my drive becomes because any other time of the month I literally don't care that other men exist.

It's not psychosomatic, it's my ovulation.

Especially when you consider if I take progesterone it vastly slows down my drive.