Other ways to suppress parathyroid hormone besides calcium/phosphate ratio?

Jinzo

Lately I have been eating a lot of beef and potatoes, so my phosphorus levels end up around 3g by the end of the day. As a result I scoop 1.2-1.5 g of calcium in the morning and again in the evening bringing my total calcium to a whopping 3.5-4g including my dietary calcium which should be enough to prevent parathyroid hormone probably. However I am getting scared about hypercalcemia. I take plenty of MK2 at 14 mg but also Vitamin D 5000IU. I have started to notice more frequent foot cramps and mild constipation which may indicate I am heading in that direction. So will need to cut out vitamin D (which really boosts my mood I think) or cut down on the eggshell calcium and give up on trying to balance out my phosphorus/calcium ratio which would theoretically open up the door to parathyroid hormone wreaking havoc. Are there any other ways to stop parathyroid hormone besides balancing calcium/phosphorus? Magnesium maybe?

Jam

Sounds to me like you are not getting enough magnesium.

OP
Jinzo

Jinzo

Sounds to me like you are not getting enough magnesium.
How much magnesium should I be getting you think? So would hypercalcemia should not be a concern?

youngsinatra

I think with good 25OHD status you can get away with less calcium. I’d think that even a 1:1.5 or even 1:2 ratio of calcium : phosphate works.

The problem might be a peak in serum calcium with a big dose of supplemental calcium. Calcium carbonate also tends to constipate me too. Maybe cut the dose in half that you are currently using and see if your symptoms improve?

Magnesium is also involved in PTH regulation.

Jam

How much magnesium should I be getting you think? So would hypercalcemia should not be a concern?
You really only need to be 1:1 with phosphorous, so why not cut back a little on the calcium so that you get 3g of it, which is a perfectly normal amount. I'd shoot for around a gram total of magnesium.

youngsinatra

I know this is anecdotal but my mother has a 25OHD of 75ng/ml for her autoimmune condition and totals around a 800-1000mg of calcium a day. Her PTH is low, serum calcium normal.

OP
Jinzo

Jinzo

I know this is anecdotal but my mother has a 25OHD of 75ng/ml for her autoimmune condition and totals around a 800-1000mg of calcium a day. Her PTH is low, serum calcium normal.
Interesting. Thank you for that. These last few days I have gone with no eggshell calcium and probably have had like 500mg or less total still with like ~3g of phosphate I feel fine and no cramping and other symptoms anymore. Kept vitamin D. You might be right about it peaking and causing problems with so much eggshell calcium in one go. Not sure if I will even add it back in at this point. I wonder what the body feels like when it starts making parathyroid...I feel good overall.

tankasnowgod

However I am getting scared about hypercalcemia.
Why? Hypercalcemia mostly happens when you eat too little calcium.

I've posted some threads recently where people eating up to 17.5g of Calcium Carbonate a day did not get hypercalcemia-

I think those people on the high end were only followed for a month or two, but others took 6g for about a year with no issues.

I also have this thread on the William Brown experiment-

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Thanks to @tankasnowgod and all his good posts about calcium I have been getting approximately 2500 mg of calcium in the form of eggshell powder, calcium carbonate tablets and Tums each day. I feel much calmer and so far it is great. I have always used a lot of magnesium so I haven't experienced any cramping legs. I agree with @Jam that you probably need more magnesium.

I also read a lot of the studies @Amazoniac posted in the thread, Why Ray Peat recommends Calcium.

OP
Jinzo

Jinzo

Why? Hypercalcemia mostly happens when you eat too little calcium.

I've posted some threads recently where people eating up to 17.5g of Calcium Carbonate a day did not get hypercalcemia-

I think those people on the high end were only followed for a month or two, but others took 6g for about a year with no issues.

I also have this thread on the William Brown experiment-

Oh wow okay. Great threads. I guess I was a little worried because of the combination of high-ish calcium and 5000 iu of Vitamin D together.