Other Dietary High Vitamin C Sources Besides OJ?

Dutchie

What other foods are high in vitamin C besides the Oranges?

I tried liking OJ,but i still dont like it. My last attempt at trying to incorporate it,is by making gummies with some raw canesugar with it,but if that doesnt work I'm out.
Should this be the case,then what foods are also high in vit.C?

I love most fruits,except for grapefruit. I know lemon contains quite some of it too,there has been a time where i just ate entire lemons. The sour taste doesnt bother me,but it wrecked the glazing on my teeth.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Meat.

Ray Peat does not put an emphasis on Vitamin C if I understand it right. Because we get plenty in our diet. Someone please clarify that if I am wrong.

OP
D

Dutchie

Charlie said:
Meat.

Ray Peat does not put an emphasis on Vitamin C if I understand it right. Because we get plenty in our diet. Someone please clarify that if I am wrong.
Since when does meat contain vit.c?
I know excess gets peed out,but i need quite some to keep adrenals happpy,immune system,keep bowelmovement going.

kiran

Dutchie said:
Since when does meat contain vit.c?
I know excess gets peed out,but i need quite some to keep adrenals happpy,immune system,keep bowelmovement going.

IIRC, Ray says that ascorbic acid ("vitamin c") is probably not the essential substance, it's more likely to be dehydroascorbic acid, and meat and other substances haven't been categorized correctly with respect to vit C. Additionally, Stefansson showed that it's possible to subsist on a meat diet without getting scurvy.

kiran said:
IIRC, Ray says that ascorbic acid ("vitamin c") is probably not the essential substance, it's more likely to be dehydroascorbic acid, and meat and other substances haven't been categorized correctly with respect to vit C.

Fascinating.

OP
D

Dutchie

Weird,but i just thougth of a theory by seeing the cows in the fruitorchard eating some apples that fell off. Maybe they contain some c bc of what they eat/the fruits.
But i tried the oj jello,more oj slime,today and allthough it needs some more raw canesugar ang gelatin,it was quite nice:)

Jenn

vitamin c is good for helping eliminate toxins, like snake bite. The benefit of a cow in the apple orchard is the sugar and the cellulose, which they can turn into more sugar. Apples make fabulous milk, BTW.

forterpride

So what's the verdict on Vitamin C. I hate orange juice..no matter how i prepare it gives me heartburn..if i add baking soda it slows me down too much...even organic fresh squeezed gives me indigestion..i fear the seratonin release from the irritation isnt worth the extra vitamin c. Is it really necessary? I eat 1 oz of liver every single day with plenty of milk and cofffee throughout the day. Thanks in advance for any reponses to this matter. Meta

@charlie
@haidut
@tara

Hi,I'm taking ascorbic acid in quite high doses for about 2 weeks now, also lysine. I have early onset extensive heart disease which is the reason I'm trying this ,based on Pauling therapy but my own version.I think vit C is very overlooked by peat,,I know he worries about expedients and purity ,but I'm tolerating highish doses very well.Plus there is plenty of evidence of some remarkable healing from vit C therapy.

tara

Don't think I'm well enough informed to have a confident opinion on how much/which forms are needed.
I think Peat recognises other forms than ascorbic acid as also useful, and says one can get a fair bit from other foods. He mentioned - in an interview? - that vit-C is one of the things we can get cravings for when we need it - cravings for sour.

I find Pauling's findngs intriguing.

Personally, I've backed off heavy (eg 500-1000mg) supplementation that used to occasionally have bouts of, but there's a little added to all the commercial juices I buy. I do occasionally supplement smaller amounts (max 250mg occasionally), either ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate, but I don't know if this is a good idea.

Aside from oranges, I believe there is significant vit-C in kiwi fruit and blackcurrants - both delicious, though they have their downsides too.

DaveFoster

forterpride

I'm being facetious.

Ascorbic acid is not the same vitamin C as in liver, although there are trace amounts of ascorbic acid in liver IIRC.

Here's the animal form: Dehydroascorbic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try grape juice, apple juice, or any other juice.

oh..cuz abosrbic acid IS vit C. lolol. Shows how little I know about this vitamin. thanks. I'll try some apple juice...or whichever is the least acidic.

X160

I think it was Linus Pauling who said that Ascorbic acid is Vitamin C. I used Ascorbic Acid USP (Now foods-crystal form) to abort many colds in the past. I switched to Zinc Gluconate and Methylene Blue (Oxidal) later.

chrismeyers

Mangos is a solid Vitamin C alternative to oranges. 120% per 10 oz frozen and cubed mango.

Frankdee20

What other foods are high in vitamin C besides the Oranges?

I tried liking OJ,but i still dont like it. My last attempt at trying to incorporate it,is by making gummies with some raw canesugar with it,but if that doesnt work I'm out.
Should this be the case,then what foods are also high in vit.C?

I love most fruits,except for grapefruit. I know lemon contains quite some of it too,there has been a time where i just ate entire lemons. The sour taste doesnt bother me,but it wrecked the glazing on my teeth.

By density, Kiwis, Guava, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Mango. These would be tough to beat, all exceed 100mg per serving.

Frankdee20

I also hate OJ's acidity; the juice is loose; bloody gloves all in my belly.