Other Dietary High Vitamin C Sources Besides OJ?

Frankdee20

Since when does meat contain vit.c?
I know excess gets peed out,but i need quite some to keep adrenals happpy,immune system,keep bowelmovement going.

Ray believes it exists as dihydroascorbate form in meat. Obviously animals don't lack the gene expression to synthesize it, like humans, so it must be present. But it isn't being measured:

Frankdee20

It's amazing how much vitamin C animals synthesize for daily requirement. The RDA for humans is way too low.

Wagner83

Hi,I'm taking ascorbic acid in quite high doses for about 2 weeks now, also lysine. I have early onset extensive heart disease which is the reason I'm trying this ,based on Pauling therapy but my own version.I think vit C is very overlooked by peat,,I know he worries about expedients and purity ,but I'm tolerating highish doses very well.Plus there is plenty of evidence of some remarkable healing from vit C therapy.
How are you doing with your cardiovascular health since starting the vitamin c therapy?

Luann

For some reason the solid frozen canned OJ with no water added feels good for me but I can't eat oranges any other way or get headaches. Grapefruit has C but I think also some estrogen.

Arnold Grape

Don't broccoli and potatoes have a significant amount of C? Anyway - I would try one of the non buffered Ascorbic Acid supps in water at a few grams daily. This is probably one of the better things I have been able to do in conjunction with specific b vitamins and I think it would be fairly innocuous to experiment with -- especially when compared to, say, messing with hormones or eating one gram of aspirin a day. -2c.

Luann

Yeah but taters have a bunch of iron too, so I don't like the C and iron mixture and only eat them when I really can't resist a baked tater ;)

Arnold Grape

Nothing like rpf to ruin your dinner plans - anyway I'm going to keep with potatoes periodically because I need to keep my calories up

BibleBeliever

Rosehips are very high in vitamin c, as well as other compounds:
Very low in fat, yet not too bad for vitamin e: Rose Hips, wild (Northern Plains Indians) Nutrition Facts & Calories

28 grams gives about 200%

Other compounds:
Assessment of rosehips based on the content of their biologically active compounds - ScienceDirect

They are relatively cheap too.
Not sure what the ideal limit is for daily consumption due to all the antioxidants they contain.

Many sites say that ascorbic acid is only 9% of what actual vitamin c and recommend whole food sources; I think rutin and hesperdin are considered to be other parts of it, but I haven't looked too much into it to assess it correctly.

Wagner83

Nothing like rpf to ruin your dinner plans - anyway I'm going to keep with potatoes periodically because I need to keep my calories up
Isn't the vitamin c in potatoes destroyed upon cooking? I do eat my potatoes, at some point all foods have drawbacks but we need to eat.

Sobieski

To add further to animal based sources of Vitamin C, I've read somewhere that amongst sailors in bygone eras heavy meat consumption was also known to thwart scurvy. In fact to my knowledge Alexander Selkirk lived mainly off goat's meat and milk for 4 years when he was living as a cast away, and was described as being remarkably more healthy than the sailors who found him.

There are also those people nowadays who live off all meat, zero carb diets who show no signs of Vitamin C deficiency.