Ornithine - So far a godsend

Sagitarrius90

Hey everyone

I purchased a Polish liver supplement called heptastrong which has b vitamins choline and 100mg ornithine per pill.

It apparently speeds detoxification of ammonia into urea and helps the kidneys and livers especially if you have a high protein diet like I do since I've been working out for 10-15 years .

First thing I notice is increased energy mental clarity and my body gets hot in a calm way indicating my metabolism is getting a boost.

Anyone have any reason why the detoxification of ammonia is crucial? Or why I would be feeling so well? Didn't know my liver was comprised since I can have over 1000mg caffiene and feel good/fine

tankasnowgod

Hey everyone

I purchased a Polish liver supplement called heptastrong which has b vitamins choline and 100mg ornithine per pill.

It apparently speeds detoxification of ammonia into urea and helps the kidneys and livers especially if you have a high protein diet like I do since I've been working out for 10-15 years .

First thing I notice is increased energy mental clarity and my body gets hot in a calm way indicating my metabolism is getting a boost.

Anyone have any reason why the detoxification of ammonia is crucial? Or why I would be feeling so well? Didn't know my liver was comprised since I can have over 1000mg caffiene and feel good/fine
Well, ammonia is toxic. Haidut talks about it here-

So yeah, if you've been eating a high protein diet for a long time, it would make sense that you have excess ammonia. Especially if some of that time was "low carb." Haidut talked about Ornithine years ago on one of the podcasts with Danny Roddy, and mentioned that most adults over 40 likely have some sort of excess, and that things like ornithine can help.

There are other options, like ceylon cinnamon, biotin, thiamine, and such.

Mauritio

Hey everyone

How do you know it's the ornithine?
It could just as well be the b vitamins or choline ,which is important for the liver ...

Brooks Esq.

Hey everyone

Hello, the neurobiological impacts of hyperammonemia (elevated ammonia levels) are one of my main areas of research. Ammonia is the most potent neurotoxin naturally existent in the human body. Even slight elevations, over time, may lead to neurodegenerative disease including Alzheimers Disease. (Ali, 2020). If you are having brain fog and other problems relieved by Ornithine, it could be indicative of a high serum ammonia level and you should discuss this with your physician. The main condition which causes hyperammonemia is liver cirrhosis, but there are numerous other conditions which can be causative, and can result in cognitive impairments including encephalopathy)(Kalra, 2020--See Table #1).

Ornithine triggers the Urea Cycle and is an adjunctive treatment for patients with Urea Cycle Disorders; a rare inborn error of metabolism. I will also caution you that Ornithine can deplete Arginine over time, which can also cause ammonia elevations. I will attach two (2) of my favorite (generalized) Pubmed articles about non-cirrhotic hyperammonemia as well as the mechanism of action for how ammonia causes neurotoxicity.

Ali R, Nagalli S. Hyperammonemia. [Updated 2020 Aug 10]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: Hyperammonemia - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

Kalra, A., & Norvell, J. P. (2020). Cause for Confusion: Noncirrhotic Hyperammonemic Encephalopathy. Clinical liver disease, 15(6), 223–227. Error - Cookies Turned Off

Although I am not willing to make a recommendation to treat a potential disease, you might also look into L-Ornithine L-Aspartate (LOLA) in your research endeavors. See Butterworth, R. F., & McPhail, M. (2019). L-Ornithine L-Aspartate (LOLA) for Hepatic Encephalopathy in Cirrhosis: Results of Randomized Controlled Trials and Meta-Analyses. Drugs, 79(Suppl 1), 31–37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40265-018-1024-1

Good luck,
Brooks

Andy316

Hey everyone

@Nick Borcic Any updates mate, is the ornithine still helping with reducing ammonia load?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals