Organic Whole Bean Coffee Suggestions and Grinder

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It's time for me to try a new coffee and would like suggestions on what to try. I would like a whole bean, organic, and darn good! :lol: I need to be able to order it online.

I know Rachel and Narouz had suggested me a couple kinds, but I really want to try and get all the suggestions in one thread in case other forum members are looking to.

Also, I will need a coffee grinder. Would appreciate some suggestions on a good one. And quality made.

Thank you!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

nwo2012

I buy from herb, kicking horse brand. The 454 horsepower is pretty strong and tastes great. In a steel can too, no aluminium contamination.

http://www.iherb.com/Kicking-Horse-454- ... 50-g/33446

Description
QMI Certified Organic
Fair Trade Certified
Kosher
Eco-Cert
The Legend
In the summer of 1858, James Hector set out to discover the Kicking Horse Valley. His expedition took him through some of the most beautiful and rugged country in the West. During a river crossing, one of the pack horses kicked Hector so hard that others in the expedition mistook him for dead. As they began to bury poor old James, they noticed his eye twitch. The legend says that it was the stiff cup of Kick **** Coffee that brought him back to life!
Organic Shade Grown
Our organic coffees are grown in the shade of the rainforest canopy, providing a natural environment for birds and plants. These conditions offer superior quality and maintain a healthy and balanced ecosystem.
Yes We Can!
Why are we using cans produced in North America to package your coffee? Cans are the most recycled container in the world and that means less in the landfill. Recycled steel uses 75% less energy to reproduce and can be recycled an infinite amount of times. So the next time you see this can, it may be part of your new toaster or refrigerator. It keeps your coffee fresher too. So please reuse or recycle this Kick **** can.

For a grinder, get a burr as they don't destroy the antioxidants like a high heat blade will.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
nwo, that looks like some powerful coffee! :shock: :lol:

Scott, thats a pretty fancy looking grinder, a little expensive, but I do understand a quality grinder is needed. You think it would be good for french press? I forgot to mention thats how I make my coffee, with a french press.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Scott, I see that its good for french press. :rockout

sctb

Charlie said:
Scott, I see that its good for french press. :rockout

It is indeed! And French press coffee is much more sensitive to a consistent
grind than other brewing methods, so I would strongly recommend springing
for the grinder. I've been using this model's predecessor for about 5 years,
which is a fairly good lifetime for a daily-use appliance.

Enjoy!

- Scott

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Scott, thank you!

nwo2012

Charlie said:
nwo, that looks like some powerful coffee! :shock: :lol:

Scott, thats a pretty fancy looking grinder, a little expensive, but I do understand a quality grinder is needed. You think it would be good for french press? I forgot to mention thats how I make my coffee, with a french press.

Thats's cheap mate! I paid $200AUD over here for our one (different brand). I use the drip method (same as Ray Peat) with a chemex. Tastes divine!

G

gummybear

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4kyojtHJb0[/youtube]

Cathi

I buy local fresh roasted so nothing to add there, but I have discovered the best coffeemaker I have ever used. I went from french press, to vacuum pot. They use it in Japan due to the vacuum process requiring the perfect temp. Their glass, and I kept breaking them. Found the old ones from the 1930's on ebay...still worked. Then I found the Aeropress...all I can say is I have never gone back. Wont break, cheap-around $25.00...converted all guests that stay at my house.

Read reviews on Amazon and I think it's cheapest there. All the reviews are true!

sctb

nwo2012 said:
Thats's cheap mate! I paid $200AUD over here for our one (different brand). I use the drip method (same as Ray Peat) with a chemex. Tastes divine!

I have used a Chemex for several years, and am now playing around with an
AeroPress at home. Really delicious coffee both ways!

- Scott

Attachments

• Charlie_Mathers_packing.jpg
    Charlie_Mathers_packing.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Charlie_Mathers_RR134012371TH.jpg
    Charlie_Mathers_RR134012371TH.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 31

shaadoe

I love INTELLIGENTSIA coffee and use a Baratza Virtuoso Grinder with either my Chemex or Hario V60 dripper to brew. I have never used an automatic dripper.
The ones I have seen get so crusted and calcified, but Chemex and Hario are so easy to clean and make an amazing cup of coffee.

nwo2012

shaadoe said:
I love INTELLIGENTSIA coffee and use a Baratza Virtuoso Grinder with either my Chemex or Hario V60 dripper to brew. I have never used an automatic dripper.
The ones I have seen get so crusted and calcified, but Chemex and Hario are so easy to clean and make an amazing cup of coffee.

Yes indeed.

G

gummybear

I use a moccamaster and a bialetti when I make espresso. Use an old hand grinder I got from my grand father. Prefer ethiopia (sidamo beans

jaa

Is there any validity to the claims made by David Asprey that his Upgraded Coffee is superior because it is mycotoxin free? Or are most other organic coffees mycotoxin free?

sladerunner69

Is there anything particularly wrong with using typical store-bought coffee grounds? I realize organic will have no pesticide residue, but is that even a concern with coffee? Also, I'm using an expensive chefmate drip machine, but it looks like all the internal parts are plastic. How much of a concern is this? I'd rather not have to clean my french press or steaper 5 or more times a day.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
shaadoe said:
shaadoe, what Intelligenstia coffee do you buy? Thank have so many to choose from!

jyb

What's an efficient way to make good coffee in just a single preparation for the day (stored in a thermos)?

I grind whole beans than I then boil in water over the stove for a few minutes (I think that would be called Greek coffee). I then add some strong instant coffee. I use a hardcore amount of whole beans, which I hope gives me a lot of nutrients (hopefully, the potassium and magnesium content increases proportionally), and add instant coffee because drip coffee doesn't have as much caffeine as expresso machines. I let it sit for a bit, most of the grain fall to the bottom but I still use a cloth filter.

I think that works decently well. I don't see the point of a complicated coffee machine for this purpose, but I never tried having one at home. I'll admit what I do takes a bit of time and is expensive, but can be done in a single preparation and give nutrients for a day at work. If I'm correct, I don't lose much nutrients by storing coffee as opposed to making it fresh several times in the day.

If I sip on the thermos throughout the day, I have a steady supply of caffeine too. The only advantage of getting caffeine powder is knowing the exact amount of caffeine to replicate benefits in studies. But with instant coffee, I should be able to estimate that and in addition get a few nutrients.

caroline

I use an Aeropress. After looking at all these expensive and cheap versions of espresso-type makers, etc., I found this. It is like 20 bucks, seems unbreakable, and you can make espresso type coffee. That's how I do it. I hate regular liquidy coffee. Blech.

I pack a bunch in there, then you just add a tiny bit of water and plunge the other little thingey down on the first thingey that has the filter in it (you do have to buy the filters but if you are very creative, I suppose you could make them. Seems like a total hassle though. You can get a zillion at bed bath and beyond for very little cost. Anyway, I love this method. I don't use french press, or the fancy glass chemex thing, or any of the other gadgets anymore. This way I get super concentrated coffee with all milk and just the tiny bit of water to make it.

Probably will not respond again b/c I am studying a bunch but hopefully this will get you where you need. I used caffeine pills too, but am sort of tired of them, and don't really notice a difference when taking them or not taking them. I prefer the coffee.