Organic Potatoes?

Ideonaut

I'd like some input on how important it might be to eat organic potatoes to avoid glyphosate. I'm cheap, and it burns me to have to pay outrageous prices for non-poisoned food, but will if it is the right thing to do healthwise.

Sea

brumpfschmlog said:
I'd like some input on how important it might be to eat organic potatoes to avoid glyphosate. I'm cheap, and it burns me to have to pay outrageous prices for non-poisoned food, but will if it is the right thing to do healthwise.

In the short term(years) this shouldn't make much of a difference, just make sure to peel them. In the long run(decades) it's probably better to minimize the consumption of chemicals.

frankfranks

I thought potatoes don't even get sprayed much. It's the veggies that have to look good (no visible bug damage) that get blasted with chemicals. I wouldn't worry about buying organic root vegetables, not that I have hard data. There's probably a case for being careful with regard to stuff like spinach.

OP
Ideonaut

Ideonaut

I know someone from Idaho who says they apply Roundup (glyphosate) to dry out the potato plants before harvest.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If I was able I would go organic. :2cents

Luann

Yeah, non-organic potatoes make my wisdom teeth, which are sort of in a compromised state, get swollen and painful. Weird thing to trace it back to , but round-up on the potatoes might help explain. Organic potatoes are delicious. Pony up and find somewhere else to stretch your dollar : )

Luann

I thought potatoes don't even get sprayed much. It's the veggies that have to look good (no visible bug damage) that get blasted with chemicals. I wouldn't worry about buying organic root vegetables

Potatoes are one of the most-sprayed, sad but true. And as much as I don't want t his to be true I can really tell if I eat the non-organic ones. Muscle aches and my wisdom teeth get hot and swollen around the gums.

Honest2Pete

Good news! Evil Walmart has nice and cheap Organic Potatoes. They have red New potatoes (I fry one with an egg every morning). They have Russet and Gold. All are about $4 a bag, I believe. Stater Bros here in southern California also has Russet for $3 a bag (about 8 large) and used to carry New potatoes. The Walmart tastes better so I pay the extra dollar per bag; the Gold is particularly tasty. I have a large potato every night with cottage cheese and purple onions and sometimes organic cheese as well. Stater Bros potatoes I am planning on juicing in the new L'equip XL juicer I got during the holiday sales for all that Alpha Ketonic Acid!

OP
Ideonaut

Ideonaut

"The average potato had more pesticides by weight than any other produce."

EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce
Great info, thanks all.

I suppose with the potatoes they are not even including the glyphosate content, since it is an herbicide, not a pesticide.
From the above site, I like the "clean 15" list. It looks like might be okay to eat them non-organic.
The Clean Fifteen™
EWG's Clean Fifteen™ list of produce least likely to hold pesticide residues consists of avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, cabbage, frozen sweet peas, onions, asparagus, mangoes, papayas, kiwis, eggplant, honeydew melon, grapefruit, cantaloupe, and cauliflower. Relatively few pesticides were detected on these foods, and tests found low total concentrations of pesticides on them.

Badger

I read somewhere within last last year that most potato farmers in Maine allocate land to their potato farm, on which they grow conventional potatoes to sell, and a separate smaller plot where they grow organic potatoes strictly for their own consumption, and NEVER eating the stuff they sell.

"The average potato had more pesticides by weight than any other produce."

EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce

Wagner83

If you fill the soil and the water table with pesticides all around the organic plot I'm not sure it will matter much.