Organic Importance Rank?

cyclops

How would you rate these foods in order of importance to buy organic? Sometimes budget says you can't buy the best of everything, but I'd like to buy things Organic that are most important.

Orange Juice (Pasteurized)
Oranges
Fat Free Dairy
Berries
Potatoes
White Rice
Sugar
Coffee
Apple Sauce
Carrots
Leafy Greens
Mushrooms
Corn
Garlic, Onions
Eggs
Liver
Lean-ish Beef
Beef Bones (for gelatin broth)
Lean Chicken
Cod, Sole, Shrimp, Scallops Oysters (for these the question would be wild, not organic)

I purposely left out food that are HIGHER in fat like butter, cheese, whole milk, fattier meat, etc. My feeling is these are probably more important to be organic, grass-fed, etc because I think the fat is where animals store most of their toxins and PUFA.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Glyphosate. Find what they use it on and make sure to by organic of it.

Well, that being said. I wish I could go all organic but it's not possible right now. I do when able.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Google dirty dozen. Each year non organic foods are tested for the most amount of pesticides. Then they also post the cleanest. This list is helpful.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Thanks. I've seen the dirty dozen -- but that only includes fruits and vegetables. But maybe they are the least important to buy organic? Im not sure. What is most important: Fruits, Vegetables, Beef, Chicken, Dairy, Fish, Eggs, Coffee?

x-ray peat

I just read on another thread that glyphosate is in non organic cotton clothing. I am also pretty sure all that polyester/nano coated stuff cant be good for you either. A whole other area to stress about

How do you people know when organic products are better than non-organic? Some of the synthetic pesticides are safer than the ones they are allowed to use in organic farming, aren't they?

OP
cyclops

cyclops

How do you people know when organic products are better than non-organic? Some of the synthetic pesticides are safer than the ones they are allowed to use in organic farming, aren't they?

If this is true I don't even know what to do with myself anymore.

If this is true I don't even know what to do with myself anymore.
Yeah I dunno. I don't have a lot of trust for the organic industry. It's a huge business. I just don't care about the hole subject anymore. Imbossible to really know how "clean" every food is.

mt_dreams

here's a website that shows how much of each crop get blasted with glyphosate just before harvest. anything on that list without skin is going to absorb it right into it's flesh. i'm sure even things with skin will absorb some, but not as much as non skin foods. it figures that oranges have the highest % of crop exposure to glyphosate ... they're going after the peat crowd i tell you.
DOZENS of Food Crops Treated with Pre-Harvest Roundup (it's not just wheat!) | The Healthy Home Economist

the reason organic is safer is b/c we know the effects of those types of pesticides as we've been using them for hundreds of years. we are basically the test subjects for these new synthetic ones. with all the recent news on just how bad glyphosate is, going organic just for that purpose would be optimal. there's no way it's going to get banned in NA, but currently officials in europe are attempting to ban it. if you're from europe, i'd be pushing hard for them to pass that law as it would be conventional foods a lot more doable.

L

lollipop

here's a website that shows how much of each crop get blasted with glyphosate just before harvest. anything on that list without skin is going to absorb it right into it's flesh. i'm sure even things with skin will absorb some, but not as much as non skin foods. it figures that oranges have the highest % of crop exposure to glyphosate ... they're going after the peat crowd i tell you.
DOZENS of Food Crops Treated with Pre-Harvest Roundup (it's not just wheat!) | The Healthy Home Economist

the reason organic is safer is b/c we know the effects of those types of pesticides as we've been using them for hundreds of years. we are basically the test subjects for these new synthetic ones. with all the recent news on just how bad glyphosate is, going organic just for that purpose would be optimal. there's no way it's going to get banned in NA, but currently officials in europe are attempting to ban it. if you're from europe, i'd be pushing hard for them to pass that law as it would be conventional foods a lot more doable.
Great post @mt_dreams. The link was amazing. I have always been determined and strong for organic even when I have few funds to work with. I also have faced soooo much criticism for this choice. Befuddles me actually. One thing to consider: I live in the US...what we are doing to our food supply is nothing short of criminal. Not sure about other countries.

mt_dreams

@lisaferraro,
i'm in the same boat when it comes to allocating funds for organic. every year as more and more data comes out, i'm more certain that i'm making the proper decision on this. i spend 3 to 4 months a year in the US and another issue i have is ocd neighbors near my small house use roundup like there's no tomorrow. i've tried explaining things to them, but they cant bear the thought of people judging their lawn with a miscellaneous weed here and there. it's quite disheartening. thankfully canada and many other countries have already banned this for general use.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...te_USA_2013.png/800px-Glyphosate_USA_2013.png
here's some data on places it's most used as a herbicide on food. ALL non organic soy derivatives, sugar beet sugar (glucose-fructose), and corn flour is gmo and has this stuff sprayed like crazy.

L

lollipop

@lisaferraro,
i'm in the same boat when it comes to allocating funds for organic. every year as more and more data comes out, i'm more certain that i'm making the proper decision on this. i spend 3 to 4 months a year in the US and another issue i have is ocd neighbors near my small house use roundup like there's no tomorrow. i've tried explaining things to them, but they cant bear the thought of people judging their lawn with a miscellaneous weed here and there. it's quite disheartening. thankfully canada and many other countries have already banned this for general use.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...te_USA_2013.png/800px-Glyphosate_USA_2013.png
here's some data on places it's most used as a herbicide on food. ALL non organic soy derivatives, sugar beet sugar (glucose-fructose), and corn flour is gmo and has this stuff sprayed like crazy.
Great link @mt_dreams! How frustrating with your neighbors. Grrrgh :-/

The interesting thing is my husband and I are never sick, no need for doctors - I went to have my ear wax removed last month. First time in over 5 years I have needed some sort of attention. We are the ONLY family members on zero medications - none. All other members take at least one pharmaceutical.

Mito

2018 “Dirty Dozen” list of produce with the most pesticide residue:
  1. Strawberries
  2. Spinach
  3. Nectarines
  4. Apples
  5. Grapes
  6. Peaches
  7. Cherries
  8. Pears
  9. Tomatoes
  10. Celery
  11. Potatoes
  12. Sweet Bell Peppers
2018 Clean 15 least likelihood to contain pesticide residue:
  1. Avocados
  2. Sweet Corn
  3. Pineapples
  4. Cabbages
  5. Onions
  6. Sweet Peas
  7. Papayas
  8. Asparagus
  9. Mangoes
  10. Eggplants
  11. Honeydews
  12. Kiwis
  13. Cantaloupes
  14. Cauliflower
  15. Broccoli

shepherdgirl

I have heard that conventionally grown papaya and zucchini are gmos. Which is worse - highly sprayed food or gmo food?

Ben.

This is a good question, I’d also like to know.

I thought one major reason for gmo usage is the fact that they can spray it heavily without killing the crops. Which would translate to GMO = heavy in pesticides. Ofcourse that doesn't has to be true for all gmo crops because it depends on the modification but for most of them its probably true.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

How would you rate these foods in order of importance to buy organic? Sometimes budget says you can't buy the best of everything, but I'd like to buy things Organic that are most important.

Orange Juice (Pasteurized)
Oranges
Fat Free Dairy
Berries
Potatoes
White Rice
Sugar
Coffee
Apple Sauce
Carrots
Leafy Greens
Mushrooms
Corn
Garlic, Onions
Eggs
Liver
Lean-ish Beef
Beef Bones (for gelatin broth)
Lean Chicken
Cod, Sole, Shrimp, Scallops Oysters (for these the question would be wild, not organic)

I purposely left out food that are HIGHER in fat like butter, cheese, whole milk, fattier meat, etc. My feeling is these are probably more important to be organic, grass-fed, etc because I think the fat is where animals store most of their toxins and PUFA.
Here is my link to which produce is most toxic and should be avoided by buying organic, and produce which has the least amount of pesticides and don't need to be organic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals