Oregano Oil, Carvacrol, And The Hormones

dookie

Some interesting studies on this compound "Carvacrol" and Oregano oil generally. There appears to be some pro-progesterone, anti-estrogenic, anti-serotonin effects. Is it strong enough to make a difference? Can the oregano oil be used on the skin, would a few drops of it be enough for a hormonal effect? Anyone who has tried oregano oil - what was your experience? Yes I realize it is a PUFA, but would a drop of this stuff be harmful? @haidut

STUDIES:

"While in proestrus carvacrol reduced serotonin and metabolite levels in both brain areas, no effects were observed in diestrus phase." - http://www.farmacia.uniba.it/annuari/2011/1220.pdf

"in proestrus phase, carvacrol reduced only estradiol levels without binding hypothalamic estradiol receptors." - http://www.farmacia.uniba.it/annuari/2011/1220.pdf

"Oregano intake may help increase the production of the hormone progesterone, according to a study conducted by researchers at Aeron Biotechnology. Scientists discovered that oregano is one of the main herbs that binds to intracellular receptors for progesterone and increases its release. Progesterone plays a role in several functions in the body, from promoting normal sleep patterns to normalizing blood sugar levels. In addition, it stimulates new bone formation. Although oregano impacts progesterone, it has no impact on other hormones in the body. The findings were published in the March 1998 issue of “Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine.” - Oregano & Hormones

shepherdgirl

I tried two drops of essential oil of oregano in a bowl of steaming water with a towel over my head, inhaling the steam. This was for a chest cold. The first half minute or so was almost intolerable; the vapors were very potent. Then the potency dropped off considerably. Also for the cold I drank one drop of the oil in a glass of water - similarly it was extremely nasty. I could not drink the whole glass. I think it did help to get rid of the cold more quickly. Have not tried it on the skin but I think it could be potentially irritating.

OP
D

dookie

I tried two drops of essential oil of oregano in a bowl of steaming water with a towel over my head, inhaling the steam. This was for a chest cold. The first half minute or so was almost intolerable; the vapors were very potent. Then the potency dropped off considerably. Also for the cold I drank one drop of the oil in a glass of water - similarly it was extremely nasty. I could not drink the whole glass. I think it did help to get rid of the cold more quickly. Have not tried it on the skin but I think it could be potentially irritating.

Did you notice any overlaps with anti-serotonin things, like cyproheptadine?

shepherdgirl

Did you notice any overlaps with anti-serotonin things, like cyproheptadine?
I didn't notice anything like that, but I am already taking a serotonin antagonist, so serotonin should have already been low before i tried the oo. Since it was only a one-time thing for the cold I can't really say much about the effects of longer term use, sorry.

Evgenius

Don't know about the hormonal effects but I found that oregano oil is probably the strongest natural antibiotic. All the biological dentists use it.
This is the most potent and best bang for the buck I've found.

LeeLemonoil

It's not a PUFA/Fatty acid but a phenol. It's what keeps the plant/seed-PUFAs from oxidizing. Peat is not in favour of most phenols, but I think his knowledge of EOs is limited.

Very uesful in a moutwash for example, along with Wintergreen (salicylate!), Tea Tree and Lemon for example.
Oregan oil, no matter what application, needs to be diluted! It's very potent and if apllied undiluted on skin burns very intensely and is not easily washed off.
Accidently I once got OO into an open wound, the pain was considerable.

griesburner

i dont know about isolated carvacrol alone, but all studys i could find on oregano oil or orgenao extracts say it acts like a monoamine oxidase inhibitor and shows potential to increase serotonin levels in the brain.

Monoamine reuptake inhibition and mood-enhancing potential of a specified oregano extract | British Journal of Nutrition | Cambridge Core

Modulation of Neurotransmission by a Specified Oregano Extract Alters Brain Electrical Potentials Indicative of Antidepressant-Like and Neuroprotective Activities*

ABSTRACT
Different behavioral states are characterized by distinct patterns of global brain activity. Therefore, the biological ef-fects of herbal extracts on brain functions can be assessed by analyzing the local field potentials, the so-called electro-pharmacogram analysis. Inspired by our recent findings that a specified oregano extract (OE) exhibited a triple-reuptake activity in vitro, this extract was tested in model of Tele-Stereo-electroencephalogram (EEG) to elucidate how OE af-fects the electrical brain activity in freely moving rats. Furthermore, discriminant analysis was performed to compare the electric brain activity of four standardized brain regions with those produced by several reference compounds, rep-resenting a whole variety of clinical indications. Oral intake of OE produced fast and robust dose and time dependent EEG alterations consisting of significant changes of spectral power in comparison to controls. Strongest effects were seen with respect to alpha1, alpha2 and beta1 waves representing an activation of serotonergic, dopaminergic and glu-tamatergic neurotransmission, respectively. Moreover, the discriminant analysis revealed that OE’s pattern of activity locates in close vicinity to antidepressant and neuroprotective compound. The presented data support the hypothesis suggesting the use of OE as a neuroprotective dietary supplement to promote mood, motivation and mental wellbeing.

Dobbler

bumping this ancient thread:
I have oil of oregano that has best before 9/2017 , is this still usable? Stored in dark place room temp . Smell was normal, it might have irritated lips a bit less than it did year ago but im not sure about that.

Obi-wan

Carvacrol, or cymophenol, C6H3CH3(OH)(C3H7), is a monoterpenoid phenol. It has a characteristic pungent, warm odor of oregano.[3]
Carvacrol is present in the essential oil of Origanum vulgare (oregano)

Carvacrol inhibits the growth of several bacteria strains, e.g. Escherichia coli[7] and Bacillus cereus. Its low toxicity together with its pleasant taste and smell suggests its use as a food additive to prevent bacterial contamination.[8] In Pseudomonas aeruginosa it causes damages to the cell membrane of these bacteria and, unlike other terpenes, inhibits their proliferation.[9] The cause of the antimicrobial properties is believed to be disruption of the bacteria membrane.[10][11]

It is a potent activator of the human ion channels transient receptor potential V3 (TRPV3) and A1 (TRPA1).[12] Application of carvacrol on the human tongue, as well as activation of TRPV3, causes a sensation of warmth. In addition, carvacrol also activates, but then rapidly desensitizes, the pain receptor TRPA1; this explains its pungency.[12]

It activates PPAR and suppresses COX-2 inflammation.[13] @Travis thought you should see this

In rats, carvacrol is quickly metabolized and excreted. The main metabolic route is esterification of the phenolic group with sulfuric acid and glucuronic acid. A minor pathway is oxidation of the terminal methyl groups to primary alcohols. After 24 hours, only very small amounts of carvacrol or its metabolites could be found in urine, indicating an almost complete excretion within one day.[14]

A study led by Supriya Bavadekar in 2012 reported carvacrol stimulates apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. (@Travis should I be consuming this)[15] In 2015, another study using rats with carcinogenic DMH injections showed carvacrol at 40 mg/kg bt.w reversed carcinogenic effects on colon cells, however, the therapeutic effects were substantially increased when combined X-radiation treatment.[16] A follow up study by the same lead researcher in 2016 provided additional evidence for this effect.[17] These studies are preliminary and further research is required. Both pro and anti-apoptotic effect of this compound have been proposed in various cellular systems, but conclusive evidence to support a direct effect is lacking.[18][19][20][21] -all from Wikipedia

Interesting stuff. I put it on some of my toenails daily to try and get rid of the fungi underneath. I remember using it to reduce pain from an ingrown toenail. I only use it for transdermal application.

It activates PPAR and suppresses COX-2 inflammation. carvacrol stimulates apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. This is HUGH!

Last edited:

Travis

Carvacrol, or cymophenol, C6H3CH3(OH)(C3H7), is a monoterpenoid phenol. It has a characteristic pungent, warm odor of oregano.[3]
Carvacrol is present in the essential oil of Origanum vulgare (oregano)

Carvacrol inhibits the growth of several bacteria strains, e.g. Escherichia coli[7] and Bacillus cereus. Its low toxicity together with its pleasant taste and smell suggests its use as a food additive to prevent bacterial contamination.[8] In Pseudomonas aeruginosa it causes damages to the cell membrane of these bacteria and, unlike other terpenes, inhibits their proliferation.[9] The cause of the antimicrobial properties is believed to be disruption of the bacteria membrane.[10][11]

It is a potent activator of the human ion channels transient receptor potential V3 (TRPV3) and A1 (TRPA1).[12] Application of carvacrol on the human tongue, as well as activation of TRPV3, causes a sensation of warmth. In addition, carvacrol also activates, but then rapidly desensitizes, the pain receptor TRPA1; this explains its pungency.[12]

It activates PPAR and suppresses COX-2 inflammation.[13] @Travis thought you should see this

In rats, carvacrol is quickly metabolized and excreted. The main metabolic route is esterification of the phenolic group with sulfuric acid and glucuronic acid. A minor pathway is oxidation of the terminal methyl groups to primary alcohols. After 24 hours, only very small amounts of carvacrol or its metabolites could be found in urine, indicating an almost complete excretion within one day.[14]

A study led by Supriya Bavadekar in 2012 reported carvacrol stimulates apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. (@Travis should I be consuming this)[15] In 2015, another study using rats with carcinogenic DMH injections showed carvacrol at 40 mg/kg bt.w reversed carcinogenic effects on colon cells, however, the therapeutic effects were substantially increased when combined X-radiation treatment.[16] A follow up study by the same lead researcher in 2016 provided additional evidence for this effect.[17] These studies are preliminary and further research is required. Both pro and anti-apoptotic effect of this compound have been proposed in various cellular systems, but conclusive evidence to support a direct effect is lacking.[18][19][20][21] -all from Wikipedia

Interesting stuff. I put it on some of my toenails daily to try and get rid of the fungi underneath. I remember using it to reduce pain from an ingrown toenail. I only use it for transdermal application.

It activates PPAR and suppresses COX-2 inflammation. carvacrol stimulates apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. This is HUGH!
I've seen dozens of cell assays using different phytochemicals against C. albicans. Oregano oil or carvacrol is always at the top along with lemongrass, which has citral and its congeners which could potentially disrupt the farnesol signalling of C. albicans. The most effective out of dozens tested, in dozens of studies, was always the most common one: cinnamaldehyde.

I think most grains need to be avoided as they have high levels of glutamine. I know that corn is an asparagine-storing plant so this is safer, but not quite sure about rice. Eating wheat and oats gives C. albicans the two substrates it needs in high amounts to synthesize chitin: glucose and glutamine. These two substrates form glucosamine through the enzyme glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase, and this is found upregulated during invasive hyphal stages.

The other day I had eaten about ten egg whites to see what would happen; I had sent the yolks straight down the drain with very little thought of eating them. This is how terrified I've become of prostaglandin E₂ after reading so many articles about it. I am going full deficient and cannot wait until I start making Mead acid.

Mito

I've seen dozens of cell assays using different phytochemicals against C. albicans....The most effective out of dozens tested, in dozens of studies, was always the most common one: cinnamaldehyde.
This oughta do it
86E0AE20-931D-4227-B3AB-F53440147C20.jpeg

Travis

Wagner83

I've seen dozens of cell assays using different phytochemicals against C. albicans. Oregano oil or carvacrol is always at the top along with lemongrass, which has citral and its congeners which could potentially disrupt the farnesol signalling of C. albicans. The most effective out of dozens tested, in dozens of studies, was always the most common one: cinnamaldehyde.

I think most grains need to be avoided as they have high levels of glutamine. I know that corn is an asparagine-storing plant so this is safer, but not quite sure about rice. Eating wheat and oats gives C. albicans the two substrates it needs in high amounts to synthesize chitin: glucose and glutamine. These two substrates form glucosamine through the enzyme glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase, and this is found upregulated during invasive hyphal stages.

The other day I had eaten about ten egg whites to see what would happen; I had sent the yolks straight down the drain with very little thought of eating them. This is how terrified I've become of prostaglandin E₂ after reading so many articles about it. I am going full deficient and cannot wait until I start making Mead acid.
How would you address tongue coating and candida if you suffered from both? It sounds like to prevent its development there are dietary ideas, but once it has been well established in the body, what to do? Metergoline, high dose niacinamide and methylene blue have been discussed as potent anti-fungal treatments from what I remember.

Obi-wan

Just started rubbing oil of oregano on the inside of my ears (if you ever have an ear infection this will knock it out in 30 minutes) and have started 4 drops under the tongue daily (does get spicy). I think this makes progesterone work even better

Ras

I made an all-purpose antipathogen mixture from the following essential oils carried in MCT: clove, oregano, cinnamon, thyme, tea tree, and eucalyptus. From the studies I've read, those oils should overcome the whole bacterial, viral, and fungal pathogen spectrum studied. There were a few others I could have included to further boost the effectiveness, like yarrow and lemongrass.

Travis

How would you address tongue coating and candida if you suffered from both? It sounds like to prevent its development there are dietary ideas, but once it has been well established in the body, what to do? Metergoline, high dose niacinamide and methylene blue have been discussed as potent anti-fungal treatments from what I remember.
Reverting it back to the yeast form is easy. All you have to do is avoid all linoleic acid, acetylglucosamine, most glutamine, and stick to a 1∶1 gluctose∶fructose ratio. A person may have to stop eating potatoes due to the glucose (as amylopectin) and eating kimchi will help. Natural C. albicans yeast can transform into the hyphal state under conditions dominated by lowered immunity (stress), glucose, glutamine, and prostaglandin E₂. Of course, those who've taken antibiotics or glucocorticoids are generally more susceptible.

michael94

Reverting it back to the yeast form is easy. All you have to do is avoid all linoleic acid, acetylglucosamine, most glutamine, and stick to a 1∶1 gluctose∶fructose ratio. A person may have to stop eating potatoes due to the glucose (as amylopectin) and eating kimchi will help. Natural C. albicans yeast can transform into the hyphal state under conditions dominated by lowered immunity (stress), glucose, glutamine, and prostaglandin E₂. Of course, those who've taken antibiotics or glucocorticoids are generally more susceptible.
linoleic acid makes candida go nuts? directly or indirectly

Travis

linoleic acid makes candida go nuts? directly or indirectly
Candida albicans can synthesize linoleic acid; it can also produce prostaglandin E₂, which acts as a growth factor and stimulates the yeast ⟶ hyphal transformation. Candida albicans can also of course use exogenous arachidonate to create prostaglandin E₂; and conversely, the host can respond to exogenous prostaglandins produced by C. albicans. This is actually its primary cloaking mechanism: Prostaglandin E₂ powerfully induces a TH1 ⟶ TH2 immune shift in the body, lowering interleukin-12 and raising interleukin-10. These two cytokines induce the differential differentiation of CD4⁺ cells, they oppose eachother, and are thus primary determinants of the TH1∶TH2 balance. The reduction of TH1 cells necessarily reduces the characteristic cytokines produced: interferon-γ and tumor necrosis factor α are both needed to induce nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in neutrophils, macrophages, and killer T cells. Nitric oxide, superoxide, and peroxynitrite are the three small molecules produced de novo explicity for destroying pathogens; the destruction of mycoplasma, fungi, and certain parasites is impossible in a TH1-deficient state. Thus, the prostaglandin E₂ produced and excreted by C. albicans serves to promote its own survival. Bacteria do not have cyclooxygenase and thus cannot produce prostaglandin E₂; only yeast, fungi, algae, and mammals have this enzyme. No other eicosanoid will induce the yeast ⟶ hyphal transformation to the same extent, and leukotriene B₄ comes in at a distant second with about ¹⁄₂ the activity. Aspirin actually inhibits yeast cyclooxygenase just the same, making this drug actually an effective and legitimate antifungal agent.

Wagner83

Thanks, I've seen you say glucose lowers immunity (I think?) a couple of times now, I guess this is based on studies you recently saw, would you mind sharing them? Wouldn't kimchi have its own share bacteria if not mold/yeast?
Nitric oxide, superoxide, and peroxynitrite are the three small molecules produced de novo explicity for destroying pathogens; the destruction of mycoplasma, fungi, and certain parasites is impossible in a TH1-deficient state.
So it sounds like artificially lowering NO too much could be an issue (methylene blue, vitamin e etc..), given that it could be elevated to take care of particular issues (of course, the supplements I mentioned have plenty of other interesting properties the overall effects may be positive).

Travis

Thanks, I've seen you say glucose lowers immunity (I think?) a couple of times now, I guess this is based on studies you recently saw, would you mind sharing them?
Search for 'glucose and antibody complement 3;' but before this, I'd suggest reading an article on the antibody complement system or else the studies in question would be nearly incomprehensible. Simpler ones have been done on different monosaccharides and yeast growth; these are easy to find, quick to read, and are more common (there have been at least five done the common monosaccharides and C. albicans growth).
Wouldn't kimchi have its own share bacteria if not mold/yeast?
It has mostly Lactobacillus acidophilus, and this has been shown to promote survival in mice during experimental Candidiasis. If it can do that, in vivo, then I wouldn't expect yeast to have much of a chance of surviving inside a jar of kimchi.
So it sounds like artificially lowering NO too much could be an issue (methylene blue, vitamin e etc..), given that it could be elevated to take care of particular issues (of course, the supplements I mentioned have plenty of other interesting properties the overall effects may be positive).
I had thought about this, but then decided that interferon-γ and TNFα likely only induce iNOS explicitly for pathogen-directed purposes. These are immune cytokines, and don't think they'd raise nitric oxide much in places not required. In a people having sufficient γ-tocopherol in their lipid bilayers—which we should all have shortly—then most nitric oxide should be strictly compartmentalized and any strays commandeered by its water-soluble metabolite γ-CEHC. Besides the inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), there are also two other types: One enzyme form constantly produces nitric oxide in the blood vessel endothelium (eNOS), while the other produces it in the vicinity of nerves (nNOS). The endothelial-NOS of course would likely effect blood pressure the most of the three—and likely what sildenafil effects most—while the neuronal-NOS likely has a defensive function yet independent of cytokine concentration.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals