Oranges causing contact dermatitis

Zpol

So it seems oranges are causing me contact dermatitis. If peel more that a few oranges (and/or other citrus) I get rashes on my hands. I do make sure they appear and taste ripe. This also happens if I use any skin products that have citrus in them.

I do not have noticeable gastric symptoms from citrus though; quite the contrary in fact. Except sometimes OJ causes acid reflux, but not always (I'm guessing the acid reflux is due to poor digestion and endotoxin which is caused by hypothyroid and poor metabolism).

So should I avoid citrus? That'd be rough since I love oranges and lemon.

Also, does everyone here juice their own oranges or other fruit? Do I have to use organic only in order to avoid getting an intolerance?

4peatssake

Zpol said:
So it seems oranges are causing me contact dermatitis. If peel more that a few oranges (and/or other citrus) I get rashes on my hands. I do make sure they appear and taste ripe. This also happens if I use any skin products that have citrus in them.

I do not have noticeable gastric symptoms from citrus though; quite the contrary in fact. Except sometimes OJ causes acid reflux, but not always (I'm guessing the acid reflux is due to poor digestion and endotoxin which is caused by hypothyroid and poor metabolism).

So should I avoid citrus? That'd be rough since I love oranges and lemon.

Also, does everyone here juice their own oranges or other fruit? Do I have to use organic only in order to avoid getting an intolerance?
Eat them if you tolerate them. OJ and ripe oranges are so very good. Also ripe watermelon and watermelon juice and grapes too if you can get them.

I'm not sure what the skin reaction is to the peel but if you are not having issues eating them, I would eat them.
Maybe wear gloves when peeling. ;)

montmorency

I found that peeling oranges exacerbated a previously existing skin irritation with (some of) my fingers, but they didn't cause it in my case.

Diane

I find that orange juice does seem to provoke a night time acid reflux episode for me and oranges cause my facial skin to itch and get pink in spots. My blood test did not indicate that I had an allergy to them. Maybe once i can metabolize better all reactions to food will stop. I hope.