Orange Peel - What You Have Been Missing By Discarding It

Ragnar

Orange peel is higher in many minerals and vitamins than its flesh.
It's particularly higher Calcium and Vitamin C.

Nutrition per 100g:

Orange peel: Orange peel, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories
161mg Calcium; 136mg Vitamin C;

Orange With peel: Oranges, raw, with peel Nutrition Facts & Calories
70mg Calcium; 71mg Vitamin C;

Orange No peel: Oranges, raw, navels Nutrition Facts & Calories
43mg Calcium; 59mg Vitamin C;

Orange juice: Orange juice, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories
11mg Calcium; 50mg Vitamin C;

Articles:
Dr. Mercola: Eat Your Organic Orange Peels 5 amazing things that can happen inside your body when you eat an orange peel
The world's healthiest foods: Oranges

Some excerpts:
An orange has over 170 different phytonutrients and more than 60 flavonoids, many of which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory as well as strong antioxidant effects.
Most of this phytonutrient is found in the peel and inner white pulp of the orange, rather than in its liquid orange center, so this beneficial compound is too often removed by the processing of oranges into juice.

Orange peels (as well as the underlying white pulp, or pith) are rich in hesperidin, a flavonoid that's been shown to lower high blood pressure and cholesterol in animal studies. It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
In middle-aged, overweight men, consuming hesperidin in oranges was found to significantly lower diastolic blood pressure (DBP) after four weeks.

The polymethoxylated flavones (PMFs) in orange peels have also been shown to lower cholesterol more effectively than prescription drugs, without the side effects.

The flavonoids in orange peel have the potential to inhibit the RLIP76 protein, which is linked to cancer and obesity. Research is in the early stages, but if an orange peel extract could inhibit or reduce expression of RLIP76, it would have significant implications for chronic disease.
"When you get rid of this [RLIP76] gene in a mouse, it would appear that the mouse can't get obese, it can't get diabetes, it can't get high cholesterol and it can't get cancer," said Sanjay Awasthi, M.D., professor in the Division of Molecular Diabetes Research at City of Hope hospital.6

Compounds in orange peels and other citrus peel may prevent histamine release (histamines are the chemicals that cause allergic reactions), making them a potentially anti-allergic food.

Orange peel is a rich source of pectin - prebiotic soluble fiber which has a number of health benefits. As much as a third of citrus peel is composed of pectin.

The peels may also help to cleanse your lungs, helping you to expel phlegm.

In addition, citrus peel extract helps suppress inflammation similar to the anti-inflammatory drug indomethacin.

Recepie - Candied Citrus Peel:

And here's The correct :) way to eat oranges:

Sunny Jack

Lol at the second video.

This is interesting though, I have heard about the benefits for teeth of orange and lemon rinds also. I am thinking of trying out Danny Roddy's marmalade recipe, the picture he has on his Facebook of the marmalade on cheese looked wonderful. I suppose that boiling the orange peels would remove any pesticides from non-organic varieties?

J

James IV

My local Chinese market sells dried salted/sugared orange rind as a candy snack. Delicious!

OP
R

Ragnar

I would certainly only use organic oranges if I ate the peels.
Consuming the white part of the pulp if a viable option to get your Calcium if you cannot have any dairy due to allergies.
Here's another video: Orage water vs Orange Smoothe

dd99

I've been making orange marmalade for a couple of months now. Got the idea from Danny Roddy.

The way I do it is: blend 1kg whole oranges in a food processor, cook the chunky blended liquid in a pressure cooker for 25 minutes, add enough sugar to get the flavour you want (around 250g for normal oranges and 500g for Seville) and then simmer until it's the right thickness (5 minutes max).

Amazing stuff. So delicious.

DMF

OKAY - what about other citrus skins?
"Medicinal. nutritional value of citrus skins/peels"

D

Deleted member 5487

Consuming the white part of the pulp if a viable option to get your Calcium if you cannot have any dairy due to allergies.

Is that video credible? I'm intrestes

Zpol

:( the peel gives me contact dermatitis. I have to wear gloves to peel oranges lemons and limes. And avoid skin care products with citrus peel.
My sister sells doTERRA oils, she says the EO is better than the whole peel and less likely to cause dermatitis. IDK about that.

sladerunner69

Jay Kordish is my absolute hero and savior. The man is older than Dr. Peat, yet his demeanor is mighty as a willow and sharper than a pointy stick.

ddjd

this guy is saying peel is flammatory...ray says the peel is good no?

ddjd

:( the peel gives me contact dermatitis. I have to wear gloves to peel oranges lemons and limes. And avoid skin care products with citrus peel.
My sister sells doTERRA oils, she says the EO is better than the whole peel and less likely to cause dermatitis. IDK about that.
hold on so the orange part of the outer peel is bad, but the inner white bit is the good bit? what is EO?

nbznj

There are other citrus fruits used for various conditions. Usually the peel makes good essential oils but the juice seems to deliver far more interesting compounds. This valid for orange and bergamot, on the top of my head.

Zpol

hold on so the orange part of the outer peel is bad, but the inner white bit is the good bit? what is EO?
EO = Essential Oil
It's weird about the outer peel vs the inner peel. I never knew the outer peel was used in manufacturing explosives! My allergy comes from the inner white, I get it on my thumb when I stick my thumb in to peel off the white rind, also if I use citrus lotions. But eating the inner fruit part works wonders for my digestion. If I could get ripe organic oranges, I'd eat 6 to 8 a day; I've done this before in Florida and Hawaii, but now I'm in Wisconsin, so, no oranges for me. Point being, there are some drastic differences between the juicy fruit, the white rind, and the outer orange rind.

ddjd

EO = Essential Oil
It's weird about the outer peel vs the inner peel. I never knew the outer peel was used in manufacturing explosives! My allergy comes from the inner white, I get it on my thumb when I stick my thumb in to peel off the white rind, also if I use citrus lotions. But eating the inner fruit part works wonders for my digestion. If I could get ripe organic oranges, I'd eat 6 to 8 a day; I've done this before in Florida and Hawaii, but now I'm in Wisconsin, so, no oranges for me. Point being, there are some drastic differences between the juicy fruit, the white rind, and the outer orange rind.
I've been eating small amounts of the outer rind the last few days and my Histamine symptoms completely stopped

dq139

I always thought the orange peel wasn't safe to eat. I heard lemon peel was ok to eat. I forgot where I heard this tho

nbznj

keep in mind a fact about Calcium that I'm quoting from Ray Peat:

"If cellular energy production is low, as in hypothyroidism, cells tend to lose their magnesium very easily, shifting the balance toward the lower energy molecule, ADP, with the release of phosphate. ADP complexes with calcium, rather than magnesium, increasing the cells calcium content."

when you're drinking a lot of orange juice, I suspect a dilution of the nutrients and that shall lead to a raise in TSH. I've discussed that somewhere else recently in this forum.
I've always been told I "dont drink enough water" yet no matter what diet I try my TSH stayed around 1 to 1.5. I start drinking a lot of freshly squeezed juices and voila: TSH, triglycerides and LDL go up. I see people who drink large amounts of water and they've never really impressed me with their thyroid numbers. I think this excess water also disrupts the Na/K balance.

It is clear to me that eating ONE orange and a bit of its peel is a much better nutrition than drinking the (pasteurized?) juice from the subsidized food industry where it's claimed that TWENTY+ oranges are in one bottle as if that were somehow a good thing.

I got flamed in another thread where the OP has sky high triglycerides and drinks obviously way too many fluids. Hypothyroidism is a serious issue that leads to calcification.

So yes, oranges have a lot of calcium and great properties. It shouldn't lead to people drinking large amounts of it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals