Orange-Peel Flour To Take Over The Gluten-Free Market

Xisca

Gluten intolerance is a myth.
:wideyed:
Maybe a true myth.
thanks....
avoiding the pith.
all pith and seeds and grains have defensive chemicals: babies want to live, mother gave protection!
The outer most oily peel is toxic.
which means medicinal, thus not a real food.... I put all peels and wormy oranges in a bucket with water: it still smells good after months! i give this to orange trees, as this is for sure their own medicine that the tree made for itself!
I believe they will make the flour with the thick white part, and that they already make essential oils from the nice smelling oil!
The white has good pectine, thus better cooked....
@lindsay what did you do? You can use the thin oily part and dry the rest.... The whole dried part can be used to perfume teas or to let go in the air for nice smell and it removes bacteria from the air!

CreakyJoints

Sorry to revive quite an old thread, but I'd really like some clarification on this, if possible.

Perhaps I'm being quite dim, but I can't see a recipe, or even an extraction method on the link you posted - I'll have a look around, but if you have it to hand I'd be very grateful. I've come across a few but they involve freeze-drying (which sounds like it could be quite a good way of doing this).

BAD IDEA STOP DRYING NOW! The outer most oily peel is toxic. Have you noticed cleaners like citri solve and other heavy duty hand cleaners for mechanics like ZEP and Goop have a very small amount of the outer oil derived cleaner in it.
I told my wife who is a colonic therapist and chef supreme and she exclaimed stop it asap, they are going to hurt themselves. She said it would result in a lot of gastric upset. The inside whitish area is fine in big amounts but you need to peel off the outer orange area. That is why they add only a small amount of orange zest to some recipes to bring some flavor but not more. The peel is 44% fiber plus weird chemicals!
This idea could be another case of a waste by the orange industry trying to convince the gluten free public to do something good for themselves so they, the corporations, can make money from their waste, like fluoride and fish oil.
You would be better making a potato starch biscuit as per Brown in Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Hi, do you have any actual evidence for the peel being toxic? I've been looking around and have only just found a tentative review coming out of a Chinese institution in 2020 (so I'm not sure your wife would have been aware of it) about an experiment relating to hesperadin, but it was a review rather than an actual study, and I don't believe it was specific to orange peels. Perhaps you could point me to a study which suggests that the outer peel is dangerous, or anything which suggests the white bit would be fine? Is your wife's concern just for the residual pesticides in the peel and the fibre?

I don't get why one would want to use such flour - is it primarily because of nutrients in it, or primarily because people want a replacement for wheat flour?

Sorry, I'm just quoting this because the other poster also seemed to be dubious. It's the same reason a massive corporation would want to - I make orange juice myself and there's a lot of peel left over. Because marmalade also requires the actual juice, it's not as efficient for taking advantage of the discarded peels. You don't have to be a multi-national juice giant to want to get the most for your money or prefer not to waste things.

It's a curious one to have so much push back on, because I'm pretty sure Ray has mentioned the benefits of orange peels on multiple occasions, this is the only time I've heard that they're potentially dangerous. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to scrutinise the claim if possible; any literature on the subject would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks for your time!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom