Orange-Peel Flour To Take Over The Gluten-Free Market

EndAllDisease

PROBLEM:
In a world of sick people where orange peels are considered a waste product by industry and individuals, here is a novel, evidence-based solution for you.

"Citrus peel is a good source of flavonoids, with higher content in relation to pulp."

Study: Biotransformation effects on anti lipogenic activity of citrus extracts. - PubMed - NCBI

"Dried grapefruit peels had significantly increased antioxidant effects compared to fresh peels.
Study: Bioactive Flavonoids, Antioxidant Behaviour, and Cytoprotective Effects of Dried Grapefruit Peels (Citrus paradisi Macf.). - PubMed - NCBI

Orange peel flour for gluten-free bread
Recipe: http://phys.org/news/2013-03-orange-flour-gluten-free-bread.html

jyb

I wonder about the pesticides. Might not make any difference though, those kind of toxins are already part of our food supply...

postman

I wonder about the pesticides. Might not make any difference though, those kind of toxins are already part of our food supply...
The pesticides go through the peel. If you don't want toxic pesticides then buy organic, peeling a fruit that has been sprayed barely does anything.

I wonder what the fat profile looks like.

jyb

The pesticides go through the peel. If you don't want toxic pesticides then buy organic, peeling a fruit that has been sprayed barely does anything.

I wonder what the fat profile looks like.

Sure, but the quantity is not the same. Your liver is probably worker harder eating the peel. But hey, whether fruit, dairy or meat, there's so much contamination that maybe we can take that too.

tara

I love the flavour of orange zest, but I'd have my doubts about orange peel being wise for most people as a significant food source.

Gluten intolerance is a myth.
Maybe a true myth.

Wow, that's interesting.
Does anyone know if naringenin would degrade if it was cooked/baked?
I suspect that only some of the nice aromatic chemicals in the peel would survive high heat, but I don't know.

Also, does anyone know if orange peels are high in minerals or protein?

Maybe if this catches on, tropicana can start milling their pulp into flour instead of using the harmful enzymes to degrade it!

tara

Maybe if this catches on, tropicana can start milling their pulp into flour instead of using the harmful enzymes to degrade it!
I have no idea how to verify/disprove, but Reams reckoned orange pith could contribute to deafness.
So both he and Peat recommend straining juice and avoiding the pith.

postman

Sure, but the quantity is not the same. Your liver is probably worker harder eating the peel. But hey, whether fruit, dairy or meat, there's so much contamination that maybe we can take that too.
You might get a 30% reduction or something like that but you're still consuming the majority of the stuff sprayed on the fruit. The taste and the smell of pesticides is there no matter how much you peel or scrub a fruit.

OP
EndAllDisease

EndAllDisease

Wow, that's interesting.
Does anyone know if naringenin would degrade if it was cooked/baked?

"The objective of the present study was to evaluate changes in bioactive flavonoids, antioxidant behaviour, and in vitro cytoprotective effect of processed white and pink peels after oven-drying (45°C-60°C) and freeze-drying treatments. Significant increases in DPPH, FRAPS, and ABTS values were observed in dried grapefruit peel samples in comparison with fresh peels, indicating the suitability of the treatments for use as tools to greatly enhance the antioxidant potential of these natural byproducts."

OP
EndAllDisease

EndAllDisease

I wonder about the pesticides.

In this study, vitamin C was shown to prevent brain damage in rats exposed to insecticide Chlorpyrifos:
The protective role of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) against chlorpyrifos-induced oxidative stress in Oreochromis niloticus. - PubMed - NCBI

Naringenin also protects against insecticide sprays that may be lurking on or in oranges. Testicular toxicity was attenuated by Naringenin after exposing rats to the insecticide Permethrin:
Efficacy of naringenin against permethrin-induced testicular toxicity in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

So, although eating orange peels would obviously be better without pesticides on them - and come to think of it, it's hard to even imagine a bug trying to bite through its bitter & noxious peel - at least we're given some solace in knowing that the substances in the fruit protect against the pesticides sprayed on it.

Giraffe

In this study, vitamin C was shown to prevent brain damage in rats exposed to insecticide Chlorpyrifos:
The protective role of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) against chlorpyrifos-induced oxidative stress in Oreochromis niloticus. - PubMed - NCBI

The Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) ...

250px-Oreochromis-niloticus-Nairobi.JPG

Nile tilapia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
EndAllDisease

EndAllDisease

lol good catch! ;)

lindsay

I just made my first organic orange peel flour this past weekend. It was very easy. Simply wash the oranges (use organic to make flour), peel them, eat the orange, put the peel in a window with good sunlight - it will dry out very quickly..... maybe two to three days. Once it is dry, store it in an airtight container or bag until you have enough to grind. Then grind in a blender or Magic Bullet type machine. Three peels yielded about 3/4 of a cup. I currently have three more peels drying and then I am going to attempt to make a bread with the flour and egg and sugar. Otherwise, you can try mixing it with honey or in smoothies and just eating it that way, but I found that cooking it eases the digestion. I actually mixed a few tbsp. of the flour into my orange gelatin gummies and it is delicious!! Will report back when I've made a gluten free orange flour bread! :)

achillea

BAD IDEA STOP DRYING NOW! The outer most oily peel is toxic. Have you noticed cleaners like citri solve and other heavy duty hand cleaners for mechanics like ZEP and Goop have a very small amount of the outer oil derived cleaner in it.
I told my wife who is a colonic therapist and chef supreme and she exclaimed stop it asap, they are going to hurt themselves. She said it would result in a lot of gastric upset. The inside whitish area is fine in big amounts but you need to peel off the outer orange area. That is why they add only a small amount of orange zest to some recipes to bring some flavor but not more. The peel is 44% fiber plus weird chemicals!
This idea could be another case of a waste by the orange industry trying to convince the gluten free public to do something good for themselves so they, the corporations, can make money from their waste, like fluoride and fish oil.
You would be better making a potato starch biscuit as per Brown in Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

HDD

Have you seen this thread?
Lady Marmalade

Ray Peat is quoted saying the peels are rich in anti inflammatory chemicals, more than the juice.

achillea

Is he talking about the outer peels or the inner peel? Do what you want. I will wash my counter with citri solve, clean my hands with citri zep and eat the fruit and clean out my garbage disposal with the rinds

tara

I don't get why one would want to use such flour - is it primarily because of nutrients in it, or primarily because people want a replacement for wheat flour?

I see no problem with eating a bit of marmelade now and then unless one is intolerant of it, or a little such flour now and then to give a bit of flavour and substance, but I haven't seen much reason to be confident that eating a lot of the flour would be nourishing or safe.

This idea could be another case of a waste by the orange industry trying to convince the gluten free public to do something good for themselves so they, the corporations, can make money from their waste, like fluoride and fish oil.
Worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom