Orange palms?

kev1

I've been eating the carrot salad for just a few days now (just one carrot). My palms have an orange discoloration? Do I need to worry?
Does that mean that I don't convert the carotenes to vitamin A properly or am I just getting too many carotenes? But it's just one single carrot and I didn't add any other high carotene foods into my diet. I know it is supposed to be harmless, but I am quite surprised to see this just by eating one single carrot a day.

kiran

It means you're getting more carotenes than you can handle. Maybe skip the coconut oil in the salad next time.

You might consider switching to an alternative like activated charcoal or cooked bamboo shoots.

jyb

Are the palms uniformly orange? In that case probably carotene...

If its local and hard like mini knuckles then that's retinol excess if I'm correct - I got those currently so I know I've gone too far with supplementation.

jaa

You can also try washing the grated carrots. I used to experience a bit of an orange hue on my face but after washing the carrots and removing the 1/2 sweet potatoes per week I was eating that problem disappeared.

Mittir

One small carrot, 5 inch and 50 grams, has about 8000 IU vitamin A that is 170% DV.. The idea of using carrot is not to get nutrient from carrot but to use its fiber to remove endotoxins and it's anti-bacterial effect . RP suggested that we should grate the carrot longitudinally and not to chew it thoroughly so the fiber can reach further in the digestive track. Most likely you are getting more vitamin A ( excess A and beta carotene both blocks thyroid) than you need and possibly your thyroid is low. You can stop carrot for few days and see if your palm color changes.

Mittir

j. said:
Mittir said:
One small carrot, 5 inch and 50 grams, has about 8000 IU vitamin A that is 170% DV.

I thought it was beta-carotene?

It is mostly beta-carotene but it also has some alpha carotene. But all these vitamin A ( even retinol) blocks thyroid, though only carotene is expressed in change of palm color.

jyb

Mittir said:
One small carrot, 5 inch and 50 grams, has about 8000 IU vitamin A that is 170% DV.. The idea of using carrot is not to get nutrient from carrot but to use its fiber to remove endotoxins and it's anti-bacterial effect . RP suggested that we should grate the carrot longitudinally and not to chew it thoroughly so the fiber can reach further in the digestive track. Most likely you are getting more vitamin A ( excess A and beta carotene both blocks thyroid) than you need and possibly your thyroid is low. You can stop carrot for few days and see if your palm color changes.

I read that when uncooked most of that beta-carotene is not absorbed. Fat might increase absorption however...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals