Orange Marmalade

I am so grateful to you for this marmalade recommendation Jewlz! I was not happy at the thought that I was gonna have to start making my own pesticide and pectin free candied orange peels or marmalade. This is the real Ray Peat marmalade deal! I bought the strawberry blood orange marmalade and Meyer’s Lemon marmalade too. The lemon one is a bit tangy and would pair well with seafood dishes. Both are great!

Attachments

• DBCFF19B-B2E8-4F35-A95E-D280917C4B7C.jpeg
    DBCFF19B-B2E8-4F35-A95E-D280917C4B7C.jpeg
    534.9 KB · Views: 32
OP
J

JewlzSanguine

I am so grateful to you for this marmalade recommendation Jewlz! I was not happy at the thought that I was gonna have to start making my own pesticide and pectin free candied orange peels or marmalade. This is the real Ray Peat marmalade deal! I bought the strawberry blood orange marmalade and Meyer’s Lemon marmalade too. The lemon one is a bit tangy and would pair well with seafood dishes. Both are great!
Happy to hear that! 😁

Dr. B

I have not heard that organic oranges are sprayed with pesticides?
Supposedly it’s different pesticides. In not sure exactly what. There’s certain pesticides approved for organic use. They might not be allowed to use certain chemicals but could still be dangerous? Vaccines are permitted on organic animals too. Maybe not all, maybe not the covid one, but at least some are permitted…

Vaccines are permitted on organic animals too. Maybe not all, maybe not the covid one, but at least some are permitted…
I think we would be hard pressed nowadays to find livestock that has not vaccinated.

Supposedly it’s different pesticides. In not sure exactly what. There’s certain pesticides approved for organic use.
I am tired of all of the uncertainty in the foods I buy, so I finally started a garden a month ago, which includes growing my own oranges now, as well as lemons, avocados, blueberries, raspberries, boysenberries, strawberries, pineapple guava, tomatoes, passion fruit, finger limes, donut peaches, apples and some vegetables and herbs.

EDIT: I also planted an ice cream banana tree and 3 kinds of melons

Attachments

• 0B630814-CD06-41D5-9795-6C32FFB2F661.jpeg
    0B630814-CD06-41D5-9795-6C32FFB2F661.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

dukesbobby777

I am tired of all of the uncertainty in the foods I buy, so I finally started a garden a month ago, which includes growing my own oranges now, as well as lemons, avocados, blueberries, raspberries, boysenberries, strawberries, pineapple guava, tomatoes, passion fruit, finger limes, donut peaches, apples and some vegetables and herbs.

Good on you. How do you keep the bugs, critters and birds from helping themselves to your lovely organic produce?

Good on you. How do you keep the bugs, critters and birds from helping themselves to your lovely organic produce?
First of all I planted the majority of my garden on my patio, under my gazebo, so the birds and animals are a little more reluctant to come where I tend to be. Planting this way on the patio keeps the weeds away too. I will have to see how things play out in the yard, with the fruit trees, some of the berry bushes, artichokes and peas. I rigged an owl on my fence to rotate when there is a breeze, and the squirrels are staying away. I have been blending garlic cloves in water and pouring it in the my yard where the squirrels and birds reside. I have also been boiling orange peels and spraying it on everything, and especially if I see any leaves nibbled. I disposed my used coffee grounds all over the place since animals and pests don’t like the smell of coffee. A trick I am trying now too, on my young passion fruit and blueberry bush, is to clean the hair out of a hair brush and tuck it around the new plant. The human smell is a repellent and it seems to be working so far, because something was eating the leaves and now they are leaving them alone. I have had good luck with cayenne and cinnamon powder too. Companion planting has been a huge help, planting other plants, which critters and bugs dont like the smell of, like marigold, onions, mint, basil and such with other plants. It is a ghost town in my yard now compared to the squirrel fest I had going on this same time last year without a garden.