Orange Marmalade Seafood Sauce

HLP

I think this is a good combo. Seafood sauce and marmalade. Marmalade is very easy to make. Slice oranges very thin and barely cover with water and sugar. Boil, then simmer for a few hours. It will thicken a bit when cool.

L

lollipop

I think this is a good combo. Seafood sauce and marmalade. Marmalade is very easy to make. Slice oranges very thin and barely cover with water and sugar. Boil, then simmer for a few hours. It will thicken a bit when cool.
@HLP I have saved my used peels can this work or do you need the juice? Anyone know? @Blossom @noordinary

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you @Blossom. Just trying to figure out a simple marmalade recipe to use my orange peels left over from juicing.
I've seen some recipes that look nice. A couple of them include lemon. It seems like you can make it both with and without juice.

tara

I have saved my used peels can this work or do you need the juice? Anyone know?
I'd say give it a go with just the peels and see how it tastes. I'd expect it to be good. I used to make marmalade with other citrus, and I'm trying to remember if I've done it this way, but I'm not sure. I do remember that they often had thick skins and not as much juice as many oranges. You certainly don't need all the juice from all the peeled oranges, so if your first batch with just peels isn't up to your standard, you could try the next batch with lots of peels and a couple of whole oranges?

Last edited:
L

lollipop

I'd say give it a go with just the peels and see how it tastes. I'd expect it to be good. I used to make marmalade with other citrus, and I can't remember I'm trying to remember if I've done it this way, but I'm not sure. I do remember that they often had thick skins and not as much juice as many oranges. You certainly don't need all the juice from all the peeled oranges, so if your first batch with just peels isn't up to your standard, you could try the next batch with lots of peels and a couple of whole oranges?
Great idea @tara! I have been freezing my peels and looking forward to trying - every recipe I saw said use entire orange. This Sunday I will give the peel marmalade ago and see :): @Blossom I have noticed people saying to add some lemon juice...thank you :):

shepherdgirl

I wish I could find sour oranges to try but haven't found any, so I use valencias or navels which make a sweeter marmalade which is also nice. I think orange juice loses a lot of flavor when cooked.

tara

I wish I could find sour oranges to try but haven't found any, so I use valencias or navels which make a sweeter marmalade which is also nice. I think orange juice loses a lot of flavor when cooked.
Would finely chopping a whole lemon into the mix help?

shepherdgirl

Good idea @tara - I will have to try it. I tried adding some lemon juice before, but I couldn't even taste it in the final product, so maybe the flavor was lost while simmering or maybe I just didn't add enough.
When you say to add a whole lemon, do you mean the peels as well?

tara

When you say to add a whole lemon, do you mean the peels as well?
That's what I meant, but it's just a thought, I haven't tried it myself. I love the taste of lemon as long as it's not too sour, so I would expect it to taste good to me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals