Orange Juice

pete

[Freshly Squeezed: The Truth About Orange Juice]
http://civileats.com/2009/05/06/freshly-squeezed-the-truth-about-orange-juice-in-boxes/

May 6th, 2009

In fact, “not from concentrate,” a.k.a pasteurized orange juice, is not more expensive than “from concentrate” because it is closer to fresh squeezed. Rather, it is because storing full strength pasteurized orange juice is more costly and elaborate than storing the space saving concentrate from which “from concentrate” is made. The technology of choice at the moment is aseptic storage, which involves stripping the juice of oxygen, a process known as “deaeration,” so it doesn’t oxidize in the million gallon tanks in which it can be kept for upwards of a year.

When the juice is stripped of oxygen it is also stripped of flavor providing chemicals. Juice companies therefore hire flavor and fragrance companies, the same ones that formulate perfumes for Dior and Calvin Klein, to engineer flavor packs to add back to the juice to make it taste fresh. Flavor packs aren’t listed as an ingredient on the label because technically they are derived from orange essence and oil. Yet those in the industry will tell you that the flavor packs, whether made for reconstituted or pasteurized orange juice, resemble nothing found in nature. The packs added to juice earmarked for the North American market tend to contain high amounts of ethyl butyrate, a chemical in the fragrance of fresh squeezed orange juice that, juice companies have discovered, Americans favor. Mexicans and Brazilians have a different palate. Flavor packs fabricated for juice geared to these markets therefore highlight different chemicals, the decanals say, or terpene compounds such as valencine.

The formulas vary to give a brand’s trademark taste. If you’re discerning you may have noticed Minute Maid has a candy like orange flavor. That’s largely due to the flavor pack Coca-Cola has chosen for it. Some companies have even been known to request a flavor pack that mimics the taste of a popular competitor, creating a “hall of mirrors” of flavor packs. Despite the multiple interpretations of a freshly squeezed orange on the market, most flavor packs have a shared source of inspiration: a Florida Valencia orange in spring.

If you like orange juice and want to buy American, now is the time. Only during this time of year can you pick up a carton that contains Florida Valencia juice that has not spent months in storage. The rest of the year, whether you buy Minute Maid’s “from concentrate,” or Tropicana’s “not from concentrate,” you’re drinking a mixture of Florida juice, some or all of which has been stored from previous seasons, and juice shipped from Brazil, which conveniently grows oranges when Florida doesn’t. Even the Florida based company Florida’s Natural, which is owned by a cooperative of Florida growers, imports Brazilian concentrate for its “from concentrate” juice line.

[Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice]
http://www.ultimatecitrus.com/pdf/fcoj.pdf

April 1994

Lack of flavor was a problem that had to be overcome in the development of FCOJ. In the concentration process, parts of the orange responsible for good flavor are lost when water is evaporated. The discovery that fresh orange juice flavor could be restored by adding a small percentage of unconcentrated fresh juice was the basis for the success of FCOJ.

In 1948, U.S. patent No. 2,453,109 was issued to Florida researchers for the process to manufacture FCOJ with the addition of approximately 10 percent fresh juice to the final product.

[Citrus Juice Extraction]
http://www.ncbe.reading.ac.uk/

Much of the liquid is retained within the fruit bound to pectin. Consequently, pectinases are used in the citrus juice industry to assist the removal of pectin and release of juice from fruit pulp. However, it is usually important that some of the insoluble pectin remains in suspension, giving orange juice, for example, its characteristic cloudy appearance.

Apple pectin is highly methylated. In contrast, pectin from oranges is only partly methylated. This is because orange juice naturally contains large amounts of pectin esterase — an enzyme that strips methoxyl groups from the pectin molecules. In the presence of calcium ions, insoluble calcium pectate is formed in orange juice, leading to the undesirable precipitation of haze particles. Two methods are widely employed to prevent this cloud loss. One is to denature the pectin esterase by heating the juice to ~90 °C. Unfortunately this spoils the juice’s flavour somewhat. An alternative is to freeze the juice, thereby holding the enzyme in an inactive state.

Other pectinases provide an answer
By adding a different enzyme to orange juice, an enzyme that rapidly cuts up the pectin chains, it is possible to prevent the formation of calcium-linked precipitate. The enzyme endo-polygalacturonase has been shown to be especially suitable for this task. This enzyme is found in many commercial pectinase preparations.

Pectin esterase inhibitors
Another approach is to inhibit the pectin esterase. It is possible to do this by adding short pectin chains to the juice. These compete with longer pectin molecules for the attention of the enzyme, slowing the rate at which it can attack them. The chains have to be just the right length (8–15 residues long) so that they do not end up as precipitates themselves.

[GM Enzymes]
http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/articles/enzymes/

The majority of enzymes appear to be produced using genetically modified microorganisms, but with no public access to the food industry’s secret files, it is impossible to know which enzymes are used where.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:bump

nwo2012

And Im sure same here in Oz. Yes I will always stick with organic oranges I squeeze myself.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Or, if you cannot for some reason squeeze your own. It looks like its better to get the concentrate, correct?

kiran

You just gotta make sure that the concentrate doesn't have fluoridated water in it.

So many gotchas ...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wonderful. :banghead

Birdie

I think it's the water that you add to the concentrate that shouldn't have fluoride. If it's industry made from concentrate with water, you'd have to check that too. I know Ray has said concentrate is not a good option and I think that is because of fluoridated water.

I have a question about juicing your own oranges though. I find that juicing them with my Braun Juicer is fine. The hard part is straining the juice. Since I have FMS/fibromyalgia, straining the juice is hard on my shoulder and hand. I'm thinking of just using the strainer that comes with the Juicer or using a coarser strainer for the second straining. I've been using a very fine strainer with a spoon to push it through.

It's the trade off. I only juice 2 oranges a day and use store bought for the rest. It would probably be healthier to make more juice myself and just relax on the straining don't you think?

ARK

I think it depends on what is going on with your digestion. If the store bought juice is pure organic oj with nothing added and it agrees with you I would say it is ok. If you get oranges they need to be ripe and sweet. If you are making your own it is really important to strain it as best as you can. Birdie- I am sure you do a great job straining it. You don't want any pulp b/c that could cause issues with serotonin. Best thing is to make it yourself from ripe oranges. If it is not sweet than the oranges are not ripe. Most people I work with do much better with juice they make themselves. The store bought is just not ideal. We don't know what if the oranges are ripe. Best to be safe!

nwo2012

Birdie said:
I think it's the water that you add to the concentrate that shouldn't have fluoride. If it's industry made from concentrate with water, you'd have to check that too. I know Ray has said concentrate is not a good option and I think that is because of fluoridated water.

I have a question about juicing your own oranges though. I find that juicing them with my Braun Juicer is fine. The hard part is straining the juice. Since I have FMS/fibromyalgia, straining the juice is hard on my shoulder and hand. I'm thinking of just using the strainer that comes with the Juicer or using a coarser strainer for the second straining. I've been using a very fine strainer with a spoon to push it through.

It's the trade off. I only juice 2 oranges a day and use store bought for the rest. It would probably be healthier to make more juice myself and just relax on the straining don't you think?

Couldnt reply to your pm as you have them disabled. My citrus press comes with a strainer which strains off the pulp as you juice. Much easier than the old crappy citrus juicer which struggled to juice the full orange and then had to strain separately.

I recommend everyone buys one like this, makes short work as we juice around 12 oranges each time.
http://www.google.com.au/products/catal ... CEAQ8wIwAQ

OP
pete

pete

You could peel them, cut them in 4 pieces and suck the juice. If the oranges are Nevo or Mandarin is even easier.

To give you an idea of what's in store bought juice ...

In the traditional pressing operation, whole apples are milled and treated with enzymes prior to pressing to loosen cell walls and promote free run juice. In a number of pressing operations, pressing aids such as rice hulls are mixed with the apple mash prior to pressing. After pressing, the juice is transferred to clarification tanks where additional enzyme is added to the juice to depectinize and hydrolyze starch prior to filtration. Enzymes are inactivated during pasteurization of the juice.
And magically everything disappears, no need to add to ingredients list, is not an ingredient after all.

narouz

nwo2012 said:
Birdie said:

Couldnt reply to your pm as you have them disabled. My citrus press comes with a strainer which strains off the pulp as you juice. Much easier than the old crappy citrus juicer which struggled to juice the full orange and then had to strain separately.

I recommend everyone buys one like this, makes short work as we juice around 12 oranges each time.
http://www.google.com.au/products/catal ... CEAQ8wIwAQ

nwo2012--
what would happen if you put your oranges through your other juicer,
the one you use to juice the potatoes...?

G

gummybear

I've understood that oj is good for us, helps the thyroid and so on.

But how does it help the thyroid? Or is it the vitamin c we are looking for?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sugar, its the sugar. Plus, the potassium helps shuttle the sugar into the body more effectively getting it deeper into the cells.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

J

j.

Charlie said:
Sugar, its the sugar. Plus, the potassium helps shuttle the sugar into the body more effectively getting it deeper into the cells.

I think 1 quart of OJ has a moderate amount of magnesium too.

G

gummybear

Charlie said:

But its cheaper to just eat some sugar then...?

Or is it the fructose...?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fructose to, along with the other minerals. Maybe Cliff or someone else can better clarify this.

G

gummybear

Charlie said:
Fructose to, along with the other minerals. Maybe Cliff or someone else can better clarify this.

Cool, what about the concentrate juice? I can only get that where I live.

cliff

OJ has a lot of vitamins/minerals/nutrients. Replacing it with isolated substances isn't a good idea imo.

G

gummybear

cliff said:
OJ has a lot of vitamins/minerals/nutrients. Replacing it with isolated substances isn't a good idea imo.

And what about concentrate cliff? I live where the oranges are non existent and we dont get alot of fresh delivery that often.