Orange Juice Neutralizes The Proinflammatory Effect Of A HFHC Meal And Prevents Endotoxin Increase

OP
L

Lucenzo01

cool. so, oj with meals, or at least with big ones!

Oranje juice with everything. It's the only thing I can drink while eating apart from red bull. I switched to coca cola the last few days and I feel like ***t right now. Coca cola not even once. Something bad is in that drink.

Elysium

Well it clearly wasnt the sugar, as glucose water did the opposite. So what was it?

whit

QuOTE="Lucenzo01, post: 232727, member: 4223"]Oranje juice with everything. It's the only thing I can drink while eating apart from red bull. I switched to coca cola the last few days and I feel like ***t right now. Coca cola not even once. Something bad is in that drink.[/QUOTE]
Agreed.
I've heard there's quite a bit of starch in corn syrup not to mention pesticides and heavy metals.
Apparently syrup is a broad category. We've had more benefit from mexicoke.

Wagner83

From the study:

We previously showed that the intake of 75 g (300 kcal) glucose induced an acute increase in reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation and inflammation as reflected in an increase in nuclear transcription factor κB (NF-κB) binding, a decrease in the expression of inhibitory κB-α, and an increase in inhibitory κB kinases in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (MNCs) (1, 2). An increase in NF-κB binding is associated with an increase in tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) expression, activator protein-1 binding, early growth response factor-1 expression and binding, plasma matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2 and -9, and tissue factor after glucose intake (3). In terms of oxidative and inflammatory stress, a similar response follows the intake of a high-fat, high-carbohydrate (HFHC) meal (4). In contrast, the intake of orange juice containing sucrose, glucose, and fructose (total sugar content: 75 g = 300 kcal) does not cause an increase in ROS generation or NF-κB binding (5). In addition, hesperetin and naringenin, 2 major flavonoids that are contained in orange juice, but not ascorbic acid, are able to suppress ROS generation by MNCs in vitro by >50% (5). Toll-like receptor (TLR) 2 is the specific receptor for lipopeptides and peptidoglycans from gram-positive bacteria, and TLR4 is the specific receptor for lipopolysaccharide (LPS) or endotoxin from gram-negative bacteria (6, 7). TLR4 was also shown to play an important role in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis (811), diet-induced obesity, and the related insulin resistance (12, 13), whereas TLR2 was shown to be involved in ischemia-reperfusion–induced myocardial injury (14). In a recent study (15) we showed that there was a significant increase in plasma concentrations of endotoxin and an increase in TLR4 and TLR2 expression in MNCs after the intake of an HFHC meal. This increase of endotoxemia induced by a fatty meal was also confirmed in previous reports in human and rodents (1618). This increase could contribute to and prolong the inflammatory response that follows the intake of such a meal. Whether this increase of endotoxemia is due to the lipid solubility of endotoxin and its absorption into the circulation with the fat contained in the meal or is secondary to other factors such as the inflammation of the intestinal epithelium is not clear. If it is secondary to other factors, the potential antiinflammatory effect of orange juice intake could lower postprandial endotoxin increase.

In our recent study (15) we also showed that an HFHC meal induced an increase in the expression of the suppressor of cytokine signaling (SOCS)-3, a key protein responsible for interference with insulin signal transduction by causing the degradation of insulin receptor substrate-1. SOCS-3 is induced by proinflammatory cytokines TNF-α and interleukin (IL)-1β and IL-6. Proinflammatory meals may contribute to the pathogenesis of insulin resistance.

Because orange juice does not cause oxidative and inflammatory stress, and flavonoids in orange juice suppress ROS generation (5), we hypothesized that 1) orange juice is able to lower the increase in ROS generation and the inflammatory response in MNCs and plasma after a HFHC meal, and 2) the concentration of plasma endotoxin and TLR4 and SOCS-3 expression in MNCs, which increase after an HFHC meal, are reduced by the simultaneous intake of orange juice. Such a study is important because chronic oxidative stress and inflammation are the 2 basic mechanisms underlying atherosclerosis (19, 20). Obesity and diabetes are states of chronic oxidative and inflammatory stress and are major risk factors for atherosclerosis (21, 22). MNCs constitute the major cellular group (monocytes and T and B lymphocytes) that participate in intramural atherosclerotic inflammation and are known to be in a proinflammatory state in obese individuals who carry a high risk of atherogenesis and have a chronically elevated food intake (23). Furthermore, inflammatory factors contribute to interference with insulin signal transduction and insulin resistance.

The data presented in this article emphasize that the intake of glucose and a HFHC meal are profoundly and rapidly proinflammatory, that this process occurs at the cellular and molecular level, that specific proinflammatory genes are activated after the intake of glucose and a HFHC meal, and that these changes are observed in MNCs that participate in vascular inflammation.

We were surprised to find no increase in glucose concentrations at 1 h after the orange juice intake. Indeed, even when orange juice was taken with the fast-food meal, there was no change in glucose concentrations. Although we do not have any data on blood glucose concentrations between 0 and 60 min, and it is possible that there may have been a peak of glucose during this period, it is also quite clear that there was no evidence of a significant change in blood glucose concentrations after orange juice intake at 60 min. In contrast, blood glucose concentrations were still elevated in the groups drinking either glucose or water with the meal. We tested the possibility that orange juice might interfere with our glucose assay. Our data show that adding orange juice to water, a glucose standard, or plasma did not interfere with glucose measurement (data not shown). We previously reported a higher insulin-to-glucose ratio after orange juice intake compared with that after glucose intake (5). However, in that report, there was a greater increase in glucose concentrations after orange juice intake. This difference is probably the result of the use of recently pasteurized, well-refrigerated orange juice in the current study in contrast to orange juice from a large can of reconstituted juice from a supermarket that was used repeatedly. Clearly, more experiments need to be done to address glucose-insulin relations after orange juice intake and the possible mechanisms underlying this preliminary observation. It is possible that incretin mechanisms are involved in the genesis of this phenomenon.
@Westside PUFAs @haidut @ecstatichamster @ShirtTieFitness @schultz @Giraffe @tara

Given the blue highlighted part and the result of the study does it suggest that low fat high glucose is not a good option either? They seem to think that if endotoxin was increased because of the fat of the meal adding orange juice would not help, but if it did help then endotoxin was not necessarily increased because of fat .

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Oranje juice with everything. It's the only thing I can drink while eating apart from red bull. I switched to coca cola the last few days and I feel like ***t right now. Coca cola not even once. Something bad is in that drink.
Was it the high fructose corn syrup? I stopped drinking it 6 months ago and don't miss it at all.

RedMars

Similar effects have been observed in rats when they IV fructose, it stops endotoxic shock and saves rats from dying of LPS exposure so it might be the fructose.

Xisca

Aun más me van a gustar mis naranjas!

Yes for sure it is more than glucose...

I am just surprised the acidity is not a problem with carbs and fats!

I have always heard citrics should be eaten on their own.

Sucrates

Well it clearly wasnt the sugar, as glucose water did the opposite. So what was it?
The polyphenols, at least in part.

"2

Orange juice neutralizes the proinflammatory effect of a high-fat, high-carbohydrate meal and prevents endotoxin increase and Toll-like receptor expr... - PubMed - NCBI

Orange juice neutralizes the proinflammatory effect of a high-fat, high-carbohydrate meal and prevents endotoxin increase and Toll-like receptor expression.

Diabetes Care

Differential Effects of Cream, Glucose, and Orange Juice on Inflammation, Endotoxin, and the Expression of Toll-Like Receptor-4 and Suppressor of Cytokine Signaling-3

Ameliorative effect of naringenin on hyperglycemia-mediated inflammation in hepatic and pancreatic tissues of Wistar rats with streptozotocin- nico... - PubMed - NCBI

Ameliorative effect of naringenin on hyperglycemia-mediated inflammation in hepatic and pancreatic tissues of Wistar rats with streptozotocin- nicotinamide-induced experimental diabetes mellitus.

Protective effect of naringenin against experimental colitis via suppression of Toll-like receptor 4/NF-κB signalling. - PubMed - NCBI

Protective effect of naringenin against experimental colitis via suppression of Toll-like receptor 4/NF-κB signalling.

The effects of naringin and naringenin on endotoxin-induced uveitis in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The effects of naringin and naringenin on endotoxin-induced uveitis in rats.

Citrus flavonoids and lipid metabolism. - PubMed - NCBI

Citrus flavonoids and lipid metabolism.

Flavonoid-rich orange juice is associated with acute improvements in cognitive function in healthy middle-aged males

Flavonoid-rich orange juice is associated with acute improvements in cognitive function in healthy middle-aged male

Orange juice or fructose intake does not induce oxidative and inflammatory response. - PubMed - NCBI

Orange juice or fructose intake does not induce oxidative and inflammatory response.

http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/9379/1/NPR 3(1) 12-15.pdf

Quantitative Distribution of Hesperedin in Citrus Species, ..."

Wagner83

pepsi (some) has citric acid, ive never seen coke with citric acid only phosphoric. i noticed something off last time i bought a pack of mexicoke and haven't bought any since. Maybe something was wrong with the syrup but @Lucenzo01 is in spain and mine is from mexico :???: it was like a weird metallic chlorine taste :sick:
In Europe pepsi has no citric acid. I have noticed many times I tolerate it better than coke, but I checked again and coke has no citric acid on the label here either, not sure what is the difference between the two then.

Elysium

@Sucrates

Good stuff there, thanks for the links.

Lately however, I've read about the toxic effects of combining a high iron meal - say meat, with a high source of Vitamin C - say OJ.

So the question is, what is the takeaway here?

OJ will reduce inflammation of a high fat meal - MEAT, but it may do more harm than good at the same time via reaction of VitC. Or will it?

Mito

@Sucrates

Good stuff there, thanks for the links.

Lately however, I've read about the toxic effects of combining a high iron meal - say meat, with a high source of Vitamin C - say OJ.

So the question is, what is the takeaway here?

OJ will reduce inflammation of a high fat meal - MEAT, but it may do more harm than good at the same time via reaction of VitC. Or will it?
Vitamin C enhances bioavailability of iron from plants not heme iron from meat. Heme iron is already bioavailable and doesn't needed Vitamin C.

Velve921

This has happened to me 2x now. I will eat a highly processed food ; last night I splurged on a real cheap pizza. Immediately, I was stuff up and had trouble breathing. Both times I will drink a cup of OJ and within 5-10 minutes the stuffiness and difficulty breathing stops. Wild.

Elysium

Vitamin C enhances bioavailability of iron from plants not heme iron from meat. Heme iron is already bioavailable and doesn't needed Vitamin C.

What I heard was not about increasing bio-availability, but about the mutual reaction producing a toxic compound.

''The vitamin C in supplements mobilizes harmless ferric iron stored in the body and converts it to harmful ferrous iron, which induces damage to the heart and other organs,''

Taking Too Much Vitamin C Can Be Dangerous, Study Finds

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals