Orange Juice Has Similar Effects As ANTI-thyroid Drug In Rodents: Increase In TSH, Decrease In T3/T4

Jav1e

I live in Spain and it's easy to get quality oranges. I have these symptoms:

antiestrogen effect similar to vitamin e
increased body heat especially in my hands
and anti-cortisol effect.

When I mix it with salt and collagen these effects increase.

I don't care what a study says (as long as it's not too obvious) if something feels good to me, I'll keep using it.
studies always have a margin of error.

Studies are not God's word.

Experience, reason and common sense are more important. (at least for me.)
Besides, oranges have a lot of essential micronutrients.

Grapelander

I agree with that. Although it might appear that I am attacking this study because it conflicts with what I am currently believing, I can assure you that this is not the case. I am not saying this study is garbage because I don't like the results, but because it is garbage. The authors are obviously lying or so incompetent that they should never have been allowed to conduct a scientific experiment. They are not even capable of explaining what they did, they have a crazy study design (adminstering OJ with a syringe), they provide false references for their claims, and have whole paragraphs in their paper that are completely irrelevant/incomprehensible. Why should anyone trust their results? I think that if 3 ounces of orange juice make you hypotyhroid, someone would have noticed that by now.
You are right; no one is getting sick from small amounts of OJ or hypothyroid. Most of this actually depends on the individual reaction. I need to be less sarcastic.

Grapelander

Going thru more of the references:
Inhibition of Thyroid Peroxidase by Dietary Flavonoids
Most flavonoids tested were potent inhibitors of TPO, with IC50 values ranging from 0.6 to 41 μM. Inhibition by the more potent compounds, fisetin, kaempferol, naringenin, and quercetin...
My personal take again is that the flavonoids are dose dependent in action; fresh squeezed, reasonable amounts should not create a negative reaction.
The amounts of articles claiming benefits far outweighs the negatives:
Clinical trials showed that hesperidin-enriched dietary supplements can significantly improve cerebral blood flow, cognition, and memory performance.
...hesperidin possesses significative antiinflammatory and analgesic effects
Beneficial effects of naringenin in liver diseases: Molecular mechanisms

Amazoniac

- Comparative effect of Citrus sinensis and carbimazole on serum T4, T3 and TSH levels (for profiles)

"[..]fresh orange juice (FOJ) is gradually gaining prominence as a natural anti-thyroid agent." "It is possible that with further research, FOJ may be developed into a veritable adjuvant treatment for hyperthyroidism."​

Nice. I always suspected since it's extremely suppressive.

"Nicolosi et al.,[10] reported that Citrus sinensis extract administered in rats significantly decreased the level of serum thyroxine (T4). Peels from Citrus sinensis has also been found to inhibit the thyroid, where reduction in both the thyroid hormones was observed, in response to both the juice and the peel extract.[10] It was suggested that Citrus sinensis might be inhibiting thyroid hormones not only at glandular level, but also at the level of peripheral conversion of T4 to T3 .[10]"​

As Kvothe mentioned, they paraphrased something imaginary. The referenced authors will be notified and read that part, they even included the surname (leaving no room for speculation on mistakes); they would have to be shameless to do this being conscious. And what's the point of elaborating a lie? This is not speech that you can discourage the other by overdoing it, devoting a whole paragraph to it will only draw more attention and increase interest rather than mask, as opposed to sneaking in a few references with fingers crossed that no one notices or questions what they is doing there. Also, why not be dishonest by adding relevant and less suspicious material when it's not difficult to find?

The units on 'Results' could've been a typo, but the section looks rushed and made up, as if they picked values from somewhere else, modified slightly and added arbitrary ones for this toxin based on carbimazole.

After skimming through other experiments, the method was copied and pasted from this one:
- Citrus Sinensis Separately Increases Serum Plasma Proteins while its Combination Treatment with Carbimazole Reduces-the Thyroid Hormones Connection

And..

"Serum albumin is the most abundant protein in human blood plasma[6]."​

:lol:

Apparently this publication by Elisabetta and friends has all answers in life.

It's difficult to understand, why add random stuff like that when it wouldn't take them much longer to find decent sources? The effort put in attempting to deceive has to be appreciated, it's the last bit of respect towards the other because it shows that you still care.

I don't mean to offend Okon, but he excels Garrett Smith.

Last edited:

boris

Is it maybe because OJ in a carton is cold/refrigerated and fresh squeezed oranges are room temperature.
Mh, it could play a factor. Although I don't get the same reaction from other cold drinks. Except maybe water.

lilsticky

i think if you take a single component and incorporate the heck out of it then yes you could run into an acute reaction somewhere

Ulysses

On the one hand I didn’t want to believe this, and the HED of what they gave the rats is huge. On the other hand, after a couple of weeks of paying close attention to how I feel after OJ, I think n=1 that it does have a hypothyroid effect on me. After even just a pint I get tired and apathetic; huge amounts of white sugar in my coffee do not have the same effect

sadly, I will be eliminating OJ from my diet. YMMV. Thanks to OP for posting the study

Mufasa

I think orange juice has good endotoxin effects, but I actually get cold hand from it when I overdo.

I thought it was the excessive water intake with OJ, but maybe some anti thyroid as well.

RealNeat

time to start drinking hot OJ and with low-iron protein, then re-asses the "detrimental" claims.

Hgreen56

interesting topic.
Before i was peating i was a healthy person with one problem and that was constipation.
When i started with peating health issues increase that where connected with high sugar intake (problems always disappear when i get back to starch and ditch all sugary foods)
i want to make a topic about this in the future but back on-topic, I notice more and more that i got a sore thyroid after consuming orange juice but also other sugar sources.
I never had these feeling in my life so first time was little terrifying, but now i know whats going on.
very interesting.

JKX

What's not to like about OJ...

It decreased TSH... probably by lowering cortisol... yes please. T4 levels reduced... in serum... all that lovely sugar aiding conversion of T4 to T3 and moving thyroid into the cell where it is useful.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

What's not to like about OJ...

It decreased TSH... probably by lowering cortisol... yes please. T4 levels reduced... in serum... all that lovely sugar aiding conversion of T4 to T3 and moving thyroid into the cell where it is useful.

Where are you seeing this?

The studies posted above showed that TSH increased, and both t4 and T3 decreased.

Ableton

little hint: cold oj from your fridge will make you feel cold. doesnt mean its supressing your thyroid

RealNeat

The acid in OJ really messes with my gut, the OJ MUST be ripe. I put sodium bicarbonate and extra sugar in my OJ. If im feeling particularly "hypo" ill warm up the OJ. These things really must be considered along with the nasty pesticides used on conventional and even organic OJ. Once again quality is the poison or panacea determinate.

JKX

Where are you seeing this?

The studies posted above showed that TSH increased, and both t4 and T3 decreased.
You're right. I completely misread the study. My apologies.

It would seem the pulp is mildly estrogenic? Perhaps this would be balanced by the glucose/ fructose and vit C they removed to prep the extract?

L

LauriePartridge

Should we really be drinking orange juice?

Comparative effect of Citrus sinensis and carbimazole on serum T4, T3 and TSH levels

Article (PDF Available)
Abstract
Background: There are previous independent reports on the anti-thyroid property of Citrus sinensis. This isoflavones and phenolic acid-rich natural agent is widely consumed as dietary supplement, thus the need to investigate its comparative effect with a standard anti-thyroid drug on T4, T3 and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels. Objective: To compare the effect of Citrus sinensis and carbimazole (CARB) on blood levels of thyroid hormones (T4 and T3) and TSH. Materials and methods: Male wistar albino rats weighing 100-150 g were employed in this research. The rats were randomly assigned to four groups of seven rats per group. Group I served as control and were administered distilled water while groups II-IV were administered with 1500 mg/kg of Citrus sinensis (fresh orange juice; FOJ), 0.1 μg/g of levothyroxine (LVT) and 0.01 mg/g of CARB, respectively, per oral once daily for 28 days. The animals were sacrificed under chloroform anaesthesia and blood sample collected by cardiac puncture and processed by standard method to obtain serum. TSH, T4 and T3 were assayed with the serum using ARIA II automated radioimmunoassay instrument. Results: The results showed that TSH level was significantly (P < 0.05) decreased in LVT treated group compared with the FOJ group. T4 was significantly (P < 0.05) decreased in the FOJ and CARB groups compared with the control and LVT groups. LVT significantly increased T4 when compared with FOJ group. T3 was significantly (P < 0.05) decreased in the CARB group compared with the control. Conclusion: These findings suggest that FOJ alters thyroid hormones metabolism to reduce their serum levels with a compensatory elevations of TSH level in a direction similar to CARB.

From the Introduction:

”The phytochemicals like isoflavones found in Citrus sinenesis has anti-peroxidative activity.9 Studies have shown that Citrus sinensis extract significantly decreases the level of serum thyroxine (T4) in rats.10 The anti-thyroidal role of Citrus sinensis might be mediated through the inhibition of thyroid peroxidase (TPO)11 the key enzyme in thyroid hormone biosynthesis, as it contains the phenolic compound naringin, which inhibits the activity of TPO.11-13 Due to its anti-peroxidative activity, Citrus sinensis extract has anti-thyroidal properties, which suggest its potential to ameliorate hyperthyroidism.14”

(Image of results attached)

Supporting Evidence:

Note: Other fruits / polyphenols might have similar effects as well:

The effects of pomegranate juice on pituitary-thyroid axis in adult male rats
—————————————————————————-
However, pineapple juice seems to INCREASE thyroid hormone to a fairly large extent:

Pineapple juice supplementation activates thyroid gland and attenuates hyperlipidemia in rats:
Supplementation of euthyroid rats with pineapple juice for 8 weeks reduced the body weight and elevated serum T3 and T4 levels, compared to normal controls. While, supplementing hypothyroid rats with the pineapple juice normalized serum levels of T3, free cholesterol and its percentage of esterification, LDL-C, HDL-C, atherogenic index and LCAT activity, as well as serum, heart and hepatic MDA concentration and GPX activity.

(PDF) Pineapple juice supplementation activates thyroid gland and attenuates hyperlipidemia in rats
Perhaps we should be more selective about which polyphenols / phytonutrients we are choosing?
Old thread, I know, but I completely agree that OJ has thyroid inhibiting flavonoids. If you have plenty of T3, you might not notice. I have to take more iodine when I drink OJ to counter balance the hypo symptoms. Especially cold hands and feet. But really cold hands. I feel like a refrigerator. In the summer, I don't notice as much but in the winter it's really obvious. I'm quitting. I do much better with pineapple.