Orange Juice Blood Pressure

P

Peatness

Please help. I had a glass of orange juice this morning and my blood pressure spiked to 209/139 heart rate 80. Does anyone know why this might have happened?

Elie

Forum Supporter
Never happened before?
With pulp?
Store bought or freshly squeezed?
So you track BP regualry?
More details would be helpful.

OP
P

Peatness

Never happened before?
With pulp?
Store bought or freshly squeezed?
So you track BP regualry?
More details would be helpful.
Yes, long term hypertension. Confirmed by a 24 hours monitor. On telmisartan but blood pressure poorly controlled. Diuretics and calcium channels blockers don't agree with me. I have noticed some things spike it such as orange juice, thiamine, high salt. The orange juice was store bought but it was a reputable brand. Even my own freshly squeezed orange juice does the same. I was just wondering what it was about orange juice that does that. I have just given up coffee and milk due to gut issues and was surprised that orange juice spiked the blood pressure and my morning latte didn't. It seem counterintuitive.

Dave Clark

I have always been told by doctors that drinking, eating anything will change the blood pressure. Which sounds reasonable to me since standing, sitting, sleeping, and all kinds of other things can change the blood pressure. Your spike could be that you have a food sensitivity to orange juice, or maybe citrus in general. If you don't have that reaction to other juices, then you may have what I just mentioned.

OP
P

Peatness

I have always been told by doctors that drinking, eating anything will change the blood pressure. Which sounds reasonable to me since standing, sitting, sleeping, and all kinds of other things can change the blood pressure. Your spike could be that you have a food sensitivity to orange juice, or maybe citrus in general. If you don't have that reaction to other juices, then you may have what I just mentioned.
Thanks. Spinach spikes my blood pressure too. I think it could be an allergy, perhaps sensitivity to tyramine. It could also be a critic acid issue. The root cause may be a long standing gut issue.

Dave Clark

Thanks. Spinach spikes my blood pressure too. I think it could be an allergy, perhaps sensitivity to tyramine. It could also be a critic acid issue. The root cause may be a long standing gut issue.
If you have tried every other gut hack and haven't given spore-based probiotics a try, they are worth investigating. I have recently had great results with these spore based probiotics, they function much different than lacto-based probiotics. I give them to my animals, I raise ducks for eggs, pets-with-benefits, lol, and they also have had great improvement. Check out Megasporebiotic and research from Kiran Krishnan, who talks extensively about how spore-based bacteria work to reduce endotoxin, improve leaky gut, nutrient assimilation, etc.,etc. They are not cheap, but if you have gut issues, it is worth a trial run to see if they will help. You have to start slow, as recommended, for gut adaptation, etc. and then find a dose that works for you, but any amount is beneficial once you get past that stage. I suppose that I am big on these right now, mostly because I have tried many things for the gut and not had any noticeable results, and lacto-based probiotics did nothing to improve my gut, maybe made them worse, IDK.

OP
P

Peatness

If you have tried every other gut hack and haven't given spore-based probiotics a try, they are worth investigating. I have recently had great results with these spore based probiotics, they function much different than lacto-based probiotics. I give them to my animals, I raise ducks for eggs, pets-with-benefits, lol, and they also have had great improvement. Check out Megasporebiotic and research from Kiran Krishnan, who talks extensively about how spore-based bacteria work to reduce endotoxin, improve leaky gut, nutrient assimilation, etc.,etc. They are not cheap, but if you have gut issues, it is worth a trial run to see if they will help. You have to start slow, as recommended, for gut adaptation, etc. and then find a dose that works for you, but any amount is beneficial once you get past that stage. I suppose that I am big on these right now, mostly because I have tried many things for the gut and not had any noticeable results, and lacto-based probiotics did nothing to improve my gut, maybe made them worse, IDK.
Great minds think alike, as they say. This morning I was thinking about taking Megasporebiotics - I have a bottle in the cupboard. Yesterday I took FLorassist. I was planning to taking that for a bit then switch to Megaspore.

Dave Clark

Great minds think alike, as they say. This morning I was thinking about taking Megasporebiotics - I have a bottle in the cupboard. Yesterday I took FLorassist. I was planning to taking that for a bit then switch to Megaspore.
Yes. One of the good things about these type of probiotics is that after a few weeks or so on the recommended dose, you can go to a maintenance dose using it every other day or just a few times/week, like on weekends. Once the gut is reconditioned, you just need to feed it once and a while to keep it intact. Many people will get a die-off effect on the first week or so of use, and then discontinue the product thinking the product is directly making them sick, but it is just the spore based bacteria crowding out the pathogenic bacteria and clearing out toxins and reconditioning the gut. I think the reason why Peat is not against these type of probiotics is because they have antibiotic type effects, which he tends to favor. i am not familiar with Florassist, but if it is a spore based, it probably performs the same as Megasporebiotic, if not, I would just go to the Megasporebiotic. Good luck with your gut, and please update, especially if you get good results, since there are so many people, even on this forum, who have gut issues.

OP
P

Peatness

Yes. One of the good things about these type of probiotics is that after a few weeks or so on the recommended dose, you can go to a maintenance dose using it every other day or just a few times/week, like on weekends. Once the gut is reconditioned, you just need to feed it once and a while to keep it intact. Many people will get a die-off effect on the first week or so of use, and then discontinue the product thinking the product is directly making them sick, but it is just the spore based bacteria crowding out the pathogenic bacteria and clearing out toxins and reconditioning the gut. I think the reason why Peat is not against these type of probiotics is because they have antibiotic type effects, which he tends to favor. i am not familiar with Florassist, but if it is a spore based, it probably performs the same as Megasporebiotic, if not, I would just go to the Megasporebiotic. Good luck with your gut, and please update, especially if you get good results, since there are so many people, even on this forum, who have gut issues.
Thank you. I did discontinue megaspore for the reasons you mentioned. The die off was unbearable. I will go slow this time and will report back.